SOUPS!!

Options
I was just thinking about how good some cabbage soup and chili sound good with the cold weather we've been having, but I'm not sure soup is a good option after surgery since we're not supposed to drink anything with food. Has anyone here had a discussion about soup with your nutritionist? It's Sunday so I can't call mine today but will for sure tomorrow, but hoping for some feed back tonight cause I'd love to go to the store today and get the stuff to throw in the crockpot for tomorrow if soups are ok. I'm thinking chili wouldn't be to bad if I use less juice and more veggies/meat, not sure about the cabbage soup even though it sounds SO good right now!

Replies

• Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes. My surgeon doesn't allow soup. The nutritionists at my surgeon's office say that you have too eat too much volume to get enough nutrition with soup early on and later soup is goes through your stomach too fast and allows you to overeat too easily. A very thick stew or chili they are fine with though.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My surgeon never mentioned anything about soup. Tonight I made a pot of lentil soup with ham, and a 1 cup serving had 19 grams of protein. It was pretty thick though, and it was very filling. I wasn't able to finish the whole cup. I sometimes eat the protein soups as a snack, and I do make chili sometimes too, and when I make chili I am only able to eat half a cup.
  • talinaklocke
    talinaklocke Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    thanks :) I think I will be making chili for dinner tomorrow
  • nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Lentil soup has more body to it and chili is pretty thick. I'm pre-surgery but my friend said they are advised to eat soup with a fork and treat the broth as a liquid, consuming it at a later time.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    While on the liquid phase immediately following surgery I occasionally had creamed soup for a meal, but now that I've moved past that my nutritionist reiterated that I shouldn't have soup because, as others have said, there is too much liquid volume. Soup is o.k. if it's something you can eat with a fork.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    creamed soups were actually on my discharge paperwork for my first at home phase.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I had the ok for soups while I was in the liquids/pureed stage. I'm now in soft food stage. Chili is ok because it is thicker and has the protein in meat & beans. My NUT suggested that if I was going to do an thin soup, I use it as an afternoon snack (not a meal) and add some protein powder to it.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    When I do soup I do the broth first and then the solids. That way you are not risking washing the solids out of your pouch before it's time. I do alot of soup in the winter. Just made a huge pot of vegetable beef soup with left over pot roast.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Great advice here already! A hearty thick soup is ok, I like TriciaAllen's trick for the more liquidy soups.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I had the sleeve and my nutritionist never said I couldn't eat soup, only that most canned or prepackaged soups don't have enough protein to make the fat and sodium in them worth it. So, I make my own. I load them up with meat and veggies and I use broth that is sodium free and spice to taste. I make chili (ground turkey rather than beef), vegtable beef (heavy on the beef), turkey vegtable, ham and bean, etc. Lots of protein and few calories and fat. There's never enough liquid for that to be like drinking with my meal.
  • benagek
    benagek Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Great discussion! I was never advised about soup at all (other than it was okay in the soft food stage) so it never even dawned on me to question it. Eye opener and a "duh" moment for me I guess. :blush:
  • talinaklocke
    Options
    benagek wrote: »
    Great discussion! I was never advised about soup at all (other than it was okay in the soft food stage) so it never even dawned on me to question it. Eye opener and a "duh" moment for me I guess. :blush:

Same here, but when I was thinking about making some I had kind of a "light bulb" moment that made me think it might not be a good idea.

Thanks everyone for the input! I think I need to get some recipes for more stew like/chili like soups for these cold nights. I did make a batch of broccoli cheese soup and added in chicken breast (since most recipes call for chicken broth figured it would be a good add in) turned out really well and very little liquid. I froze some in double serving size (for me and my daughter) and a couple single serve sizes for me to take to work. Going to the do the same with chili next week.

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Great idea...and this will be handy when youre too tired to cook or want something nice and hot from being out in the frigid weather!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I am seven months out, and I love soup. I make a big pot on the weekends and have it for lunch throughout the week. It has to be really thick, though, as others indicated, or else I don't get filled up. A good 3/4 cup serving of stew or chili keeps me from lunch until 3 or 4 p.m. without any issue. I love chili made with ground chicken and beans, split pea made with smoked turkey legs or lean canadian bacon, or chicken corn chowder made with rotisserie chicken breast. I add tons of chopped veggies to these. Delicious. Try starting out with the Kedem or Manischewitz dry soup mixes - the minestrone and split pea are really good - and you can add as much veggie and protein as you want. It is also easy to keep track of the calories in the recipe if you start with the mix.
  • talinaklocke
    Options
    I will check out the dry soup mixes next time I'm at the store, thanks! Chili is by far my favorite, always has been, I don't even change the recipe I love it that much (my gramma's recipe). Although I used to use a TON of crackers in it, I can now eat it with no crackers or just 1 pack of 2 crackers (like you get from Wendy's) I won't buy a whole box because crackers were always kind of a trigger food for me that I can't portion out myself and stick to it so best to just not buy them at all.
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Chili has been a go to for me for awhile now. I can't stand the smell of ground turkey (weird I know) but the leanest ground beef is very similar as far as fat, etc. I get low sodium beans and tomatoes, sometimes onion and pepper, and everything else is spices, It's very healthy and I love it, especially in winter. (Just skip the crackers...they're a slippery slope and really don't add anything nutritionally)