Batwings

Options
nowucme
nowucme Posts: 88 Member
I have flab on the back of my upper arms. I think this may be my biggest problem area post-surgery. Has anyone had good results losing or tightening this area prior to surgery? It is probably easier for men- I am female. How did you do it?

Replies

• Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have some loose skin on my arms. It's not as bad as I expected it to be, but worse than I'd like. I lift weights and work out a lot. It's helped some, but ultimately surgery will be the only thing to completely get rid of them. But I've lost 170lbs and am 47 years old so I kind of had to expect some loose skin.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Like Dannadl, I have loose skin on my arms, I have lost a large amount of weight, and I am not 25 any more lol. I am 51 and I have lost over 200 lbs, so even though I do a lot of strength training now, it will definitely not bounce back on it's own. It isn't my favorite thing, but I am perfectly fine with the tradeoff :-)
  • talinaklocke
    talinaklocke Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    this is a big problem area for me as well, my arms were always big (not in a muscular way lol) and now that I'm losing they are getting flabbier and flabbier, I've been told weight lifting (like 10 - 15 lb weights) is one way to try and target the area, I've also started using a skin firming lotion 2-3 times a day, but like Dannadl said, surgery will really be the only way to get rid of them.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I asked a trainer about my wings. He said those are the triceps muscles and are the most difficult to tone. There are toning exercises online and weight exercises too. He made it sound like that area can be made better but they likely are not going to completely disappear.
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I lift weights a lot (I lift for my tricepts 2x's a week and do a bootcamp 5-6 days a week that does lots of tricept work. It's helped a bit, but it's not going to solve the issue.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Exercise will not get rid of the loose skin, it will help but it will be there, I have looked in to having the surgery, a friend of mine had it done and there is a scar but very faint, I guess it is a trade off bat wings or a scar. Her arms look good though, but she doesn't work out and they are not toned, just thinner looking. I am doing a lot of exercise and will wait until I get to my goal before making the decision, but I am saving for it now just in case.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery and my scars are ugly and still painful after four years. Not recommended by me.
  • nowucme
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    I had the surgery and my scars are ugly and still painful after four years. Not recommended by me.

Yes toadqueen, thank you. This is my worry. I have seen some unfortunate results. I'm sorry you are not happy with your surgery. Moral: we shouldn't have allowed ourselves to become overweight so now we pay the price.
  • nowucme
    Options
    Exercise will not get rid of the loose skin, it will help but it will be there, I have looked in to having the surgery, a friend of mine had it done and there is a scar but very faint, I guess it is a trade off bat wings or a scar. Her arms look good though, but she doesn't work out and they are not toned, just thinner looking. I am doing a lot of exercise and will wait until I get to my goal before making the decision, but I am saving for it now just in case.

JreedyJanelle I expect to have to do a lot of work on that area and I know it is hard to tone. I too will probably save up but don't know if I will end up doing surgery for it. (Fingers crossed)
  • Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have awful batwings too. :-( I have a Bowfles and hand weights and it has improved but still there. For me, they are just a symbol of my success. yeah i have flabby arms but I would rather have flabby arms and be 140 pounds lighter, than still being heavy. Doesn't mean I won't keep working on them, it just means I can learn to be okay with them.
  • Marti963
    Marti963 Posts: 1
    Options
    Be thankful that is all you have. I lost a total of 165 lbs. Unfortunately I was in my mid 40s when I did this. I soooo wish I would have done this when I was younger. Now I have horrible legs, arms, belly, and worst of all my face looks awful. All saggy droopy skin every were. I need an all over body lift...!!!