Looking for good exercises to do at home

Options
I can't always get out/afford to join gyms etc, and want some good exercises I can do for free in my own house, any suggestions?

Replies

• mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Burpees. It combines cardio and strength, no equipment needed. They suck but they definitely cover a lot of areas.

Don't have weights? Get a couple jugs of water and lug them around and lift them. It is better than nothing. Fill a paint bucket with rocks and pick it up.

Most of my workouts are at home with little to no equipment. I tend to focus a lot on legs, hip and core since I run a lot. Squats, calf raise, Russian twists, bicycle crunches, mountain climbers, spiderman planks, skaters, lunges, and inchworm push ups are some of the things I will add into a work out. I will warm up (running, jumping jacks, run in place) for 5 minutes, then alternate an exercise 1 minute on, 15 sec rest, 1 minute on etc through my work out. Sometimes I repeat exercises to do multiple sets, sometimes I don't depending on how much I am looking to do that day or how much time I have. I try to write out my workout before I start so I am not caught trying to think of something to do.

• iamnotninja
    iamnotninja Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I honestly still do VHS workout tapes. Billy Blanks' Tae Bo kicks my butt!
  • Annaleaze
    Annaleaze Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Snap!! However I have dad's lol
  • desika8787
    desika8787 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your point! In my area are only gyms where you have to pay a lot for a yearly appliance. And even then it is not just around the corner therefore my motivation to go out again after coming home from work is rather little...

There are plenty of good clips on Youtube (such as J Michaels) where you need little equipment. I have the DVDs of Jillian Michaels where I need a mat (because I don't have a carpet in my living room) and two hantles - and that's it :blush:
  • iamnotninja
    iamnotninja Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Annaleaze wrote: »
    Snap!! However I have dad's lol

Haha, what's cool is you can get a VCR for like $5 at a Goodwill and get workout VHS for like $0.50. I've got Yoga, Tae Bo, Richard Simmons, pretty much any tape for any mood.

• lalajka
    lalajka Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Check out the neilarey.com website. She has some cool workout programs and challenges and all you need is your own weight :). I've done her 30 Days of Change program and am currently doing the 30 Days of Gravity. Her individual workouts are great too, a lot to choose from!
  • sedelgarcia
    sedelgarcia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Burpees, push-ups, lunges, squats, crunches, planks, rope jumping, weights using household items... Too many to count. There are a lot of good workout apps that provide hundreds of exercises with minimal equipment.
  • Jmcbryan570
    Jmcbryan570 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I go to befit it xhit channels on you tube. Great free workouts from famous trainers. Xhit has the Victoria secret workout series too
  • leechiv
    leechiv Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever try Leslie sansone walking CDs? They're all levels and can be done right in front of your tv. Great when it's too cold out or you don't want to go to the gym!
  • leechiv
    leechiv Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    lalajka wrote: »
    Check out the neilarey.com website. She has some cool workout programs and challenges and all you need is your own weight :). I've done her 30 Days of Change program and am currently doing the 30 Days of Gravity. Her individual workouts are great too, a lot to choose from!
    Just checked it out! Great website. Thanks for sharing!
  • tahni
    tahni Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Kayla Itsines BBG challenge and so far it's killer! It's quite expensive but if you get creative and look around certain websites, I know people who have found it ridiculously cheap. All you really need is free weights and a jump rope (just got mine for $3). Later it requires a BOSU ball but I dont think i'm going to buy one. She also uses a work out bench but I just use my couch ahahah.

Just doing calisthenics on my own has never really worked for me cause I don't really set a goal for myself like guides do. A lot of people love blogilates on youtube and I'm pretty sure the betty rocker has free workouts on her website. Kayla gives you a free week if you tweet her link I think (you'll have to google that). If none of those sound appealing Pinterest has tonnns of things you can look through.
  • tahni
    tahni Posts: 45 Member
    Options
  • mnsmov15
    mnsmov15 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    There are lots of free resources out there to get started with body weight work outs. I like
    Fitnessblender.com, jessicasmith.tv, There are many free apps too - you are your own gym, hot5 (You can also look in the apps section on MFP for suggestions - couple of them are free)
  • countorama
    countorama Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do circuit workouts at home all the time! I try to make sure I have 4 major types of exercise covered: Lower body (squats, lunges), "push" (e.g. pushups, bicep curls), "pull" (any kind of "row" type exercise, pullups or chin ups if you have access to a bar), and core (crunches, planks, etc). I'll pick 1 of each type of exercise and to 2-3 sets of each, with a set of something like jumping jacks, high knees, or mountain climbers thrown in every couple of sets to get my heart rate up. I have a few free weights (5-40 lbs), a set of resistance bands, and we recently put a pullup bar in one of our doorframes so I am working on that now too. These workouts take maybe 15-25 minutes and are great for hitting all the major muscle groups. I add in a lot of walking and some running outdoors, plus the occasional workout DVD from the library, and I stay fit without going anywhere near the gym!
  • TracyRowbotham
    Options
    leechiv wrote: »
    lalajka wrote: »
    Just checked it out! Great website. Thanks for sharing!

• TracyRowbotham
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com is awesome! Tons of workouts you can choose from, many requiring no equip. Just pick a workout type, level of difficulty, time you want to spend abd equip you want to use and away you go! Really sweet couple that run