weight

Options
marygirl05
marygirl05 Posts: 254 Member
when changing to eating to low carb how long does it take to see a weight loss? this is day 3 for me and before i went to low carb i had no issues losing weight staying within my calorie goals but now i am still within my calorie goes but yet i am not losing?

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    i'm on day 5 - i have lost 6 lbs but I think it's is mostly water weight and i probably have more to lose anyway. I don't know if you are testing for ketones or maybe be really strict with your carbs, reduce them even further. But I wouldn't worry just yet, 3 days is hardly any time for your body to respond. I'm no expert though so hopefully someone else can advise as well. Don't give up yet - give your body time to adapt! Good luck
  • marygirl05
    Options
    i still have about 100 pounds to lose maybe you can look at my food?
  • notcorky
    notcorky Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am on very low carbs (less than 20 total ) a day since Monday, Jan 5 and have lost 5.5 pounds. Probably water weight, but at least it is 5.5 pounds less that I have to work to get off. My first goal is 30 pounds, then another 20 after that.
  • marygirl05
    Options
    ya i am going from 127-170 something carbs to the low 50 or 40s i figured that was a start now sure jow you keep it to less than 20 and still get enough calroies in
  • Vossii
    Vossii Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that in order to be in complete keto, it takes about 72 hours. you wont see results overnight and the first week probably will be water weight loss. Don't give up, it takes dedication to stick with it, but will be worth it in the end.
  • marygirl05
    Options
    anyone can go and look at my diary and let me know what you think. Am i still eating too many carbs?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It's only day 3, and you were only eating moderate carb to begin with. As a result, you probably won't see a lot of weight fall off, as the initial weight loss is generally just water weight as the body uses glycogen stores before it switches to fat burning.

That said, I recommend lowering your protein goal and adding the balance to fat. You don't need 200g+ of protein. Drop it down to around 100g.

Your carbs are likely fine, unless you're specifically looking into ketosis (but even then, I'd recommend dropping protein and upping fat first, because that's your more likely hurdle at the moment). If you are looking into ketosis, then you'll want ketostix at first, and more ideally, a blood ketone meter, so you can get objective data from which to base your diet tweaking decisions.
  • marygirl05
    Options
    ok with looking at my fat what would you say my fat needs to be?
  • marygirl05
    Options
    thanks everyone for the information for this is all new to me but at long as i am eating what i should and yes today is only day 3 i told myself i would try this for a week and if it didn't give me results then i would try something else. I lose 60 pounds eating my old ways without counting carbs this much but wanted to try something different.
  • mrprytania
    mrprytania Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    marygirl05 wrote: »
    i told myself i would try this for a week and if it didn't give me results then i would try something else.
    Only a week? It took me about a week for it to "kick in". Use keto sticks to give yourself feedback on your diet.

• marygirl05
    Options
    what are keto sticks?
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    A week, much less 3 days is not long enough to gauge any progress whatsoever on LCHF/Keto way of eating. If you were successful doing it your way, why do you want a change? Were you stalled? Do you just need a challenge? Lots of us do LCHF/Keto for the health benefits aside from weight loss. Is that what you are striving for? If so, give it much, much longer than a week to decide.

I agree with the above that you were already eating lowish carbs before, so I wouldn't expect you to have large glycogen stores (esp. if you were exercising) anyway. That is usually what the majority of the first two weeks' loss is....glycogen stores and the water that goes with it. I also wouldn't expect a serious keto flu.

After that time, weight loss goes to down to right around average....1-2 lbs per week just like other ways to create a deficit.
  • marygirl05
    Options
    yes that is what i want i don't just want to lose weight I want to be healthy as well. thatnk you so much for your time with explain everything i will def stay on this for a while for you are right it takes time
  • CJ0821
    CJ0821 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    All the info everyone has given is great. Another thing you can try is cutting out the almonds and see if that helps your weight drop. A lot of the "troubleshooting" tips you can find online say nuts sometimes cause stalls in weight loss when you are doing LCHF. This is not true for everyone of course, but its worth a shot! I love almonds... and I will have them as a snack maybe once a week if I get a craving lol...
  • marygirl05
    Options
    ok i can do that as well and cut the almost out for tomorrow and a few days and like you said have like once a week. Thanks for everything. Glad i joined this group.
  • marygirl05
    Options
    thank you so much
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Anytime.. :smile:
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Another thing to remember is that you have to stick with lc consistently. Eating higher carbs one day will put glucose back in your muscles and give you 1-3 kg of water weight overnight that will take days to get rid of again. I speak from recent experience :). I did ok maintaining over the hols, but went back to work last week and in the 1st 2 days gained 2kg! Gah., love sushi but that rice is bad news. Today it was gone again though, after upping fat and banning the carbage over the rest of the week. Keep calm and keto on.
  • marygirl05
    Options
    ok thank you that would explain why i didnt have a good weigh in today up .8 but this weekend was rough because i was gone.