carb cycling

Options
t10246
t10246 Posts: 2 Member
Has anyone tried it? Any tips or suggestions? I would like to try it but seems confusing

Replies

• PingiePingPing
    PingiePingPing Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I (think) do this! Except I didn't know it had a name, for me it was just low carb with Saturday cheat days. :) So Sunday-Friday I eat veggies and protein and try to stay at 50g of carbs a day. Then on Saturdays I'll eat carbs freely, pasta for dinner, some candy, a little bit over my limit. The link explained it nicely, but I don't agree with their 1200/1500cal limits.

http://dailyburn.com/life/health/carb-cycling-meal-plan/
  • crown6652
    crown6652 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've done carb cycling many times with great success. It's a body builder's trick to flip your body from burning sugar for fuel, to burning fat. It's soo easy!! And freakin delicious!!

There are 2 approaches: 3 day cycle or 6 day cycle - depending on your level of weight you want to lose and how well you metabolize carbs.

3 day: Sun, Mon, Tues = Low, Wed = Carb Up, Thurs, Fri = Low, Sat = Carb Up.
    6 day cycle: Sun - Fri = Low, Sat = Carb Up.

Where most people screw this up is they drop the carbs and up their protein only, keeping fat low. This will ensure you feel like *kitten* and fall off the cycle. Your body needs fuel and it's either going to get it from sugar (carbs) or fat. Increasing the fat content will help your body burn fat for fuel, instead of sugar, and keep you feeling full and happy.

Basic daily macroutrient breakdown should be: 50g (10%) carbs, 90g (20%) protein and 140g (70%) fat.

On your carb up day, breakdown should be: 80-100g carbs, 90g protein and 70% fat.

NOTE: If your currently at 80-100g of carbs per day, you will have cravings the first three days.

After 2 wks (if not sooner) you'll notice you are eating way less calories per day, the fat keeps you full longer, and energy levels are thru the roof!

If you need some recipes/meal ideas, be happy to share!
    S
  • rhalbur
    Options
    Crown6652- I'm interested in trying this! Could you post some meal ideas? Thanks!!
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've tried it, but my body can't handle low carb-diets (even when it's followed by normal/high carb-days). I don't know if it's connected to my seizures or the fact that I f**ked up my brain and body while I had anorexia, but it just makes me so sick. :\ (Like, puking all over the bathroom-sick.)
  • crown6652
    crown6652 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the delay rhalbur! I had written a huge post with a sample menu for you but it wouldn't POST. Apparently hadn't "joined' the group :( so here's the info again. and if you want any other ideas recipes, pm me.

Sample carb cycle day:
    Breakfast:
    3-4 cream cheese pancakes with maple syrup and whipped coconut cream topping (optional)
    1 lean sausage or 3 slices bacon
    1 cup steamed broccoli, drizzled with coconut or olive oil
    1 bulletproof coffee [ black coffee blended with a touch of butter, a touch of coconut oil and a smidgen of full fall cream. blend until frothy - heaven!]

Lunch:
    1/2 chicken breast, roasted
    1lb roasted green beans [green beans drizzled with olive oil, grated parm cheese and pecans, then roasted]
    1/2 baked sweet potato with butter and sour cream

Snack:
    1/2 avocado sprinkled with salt

Dinner:
    3oz maple glazed salmon (1/2 small fillet)
    1 cup steamed broccoli, drizzled with coconut or olive oil
    1lb roasted green beans

Dessert:
    Choc Avocado Pudding sprinkled with pecans and honey

That's a sample day. Food is pretty awesome and it makes it easy to walk past all the treats in the office cause you're full and happy.

You DO need to prep for this. Precook meals and have them ready to go for the week. I prep on Sun and Wed, making 3days of meals at a time. It sounds like a lot of work, but it's really quick and easy. Roasting a chicken isn't hard and it gives you protien for many diff meals throughout the week. And if you have you're food already to go, you'll never get caught hungry and lookin for a decent meal in the scores of junk food available.

Hope this helps!!