3 months - 30lbs slow loser

Options
liz1531
liz1531 Posts: 23 Member
Hi all. New to this group but if you want a diary friend feel free to add me. I keep mine open. I am way slow in my losses lately. Had a rough time with holidays and now getting back on track. Hoping to hit goal in 2015... 80 lbs to go!

Replies

• imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work. I am kind of a slow loser too. I am at my 3 month mark too. I have lost 35 lbs. I am feeling it though.
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    liz1531 wrote: »
    Hi all. New to this group but if you want a diary friend feel free to add me. I keep mine open. I am way slow in my losses lately. Had a rough time with holidays and now getting back on track. Hoping to hit goal in 2015... 80 lbs to go!
    I also had very slow loss holiday period, started way back in October really and just ended. Only lost about 15 pounds since October. October/Nov travel os, Dec Christmas, January my daughters wedding preparations. Just an insane 3 months. But clothes size still moved for sure so not beating myself up too much. However like you I still have to lose so getting stuck back in now that I can re focus properly. Good luck.

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    We may be turtles but turtles still win their races, don't they?? And we will each win our races!! :smiley:
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    We may be turtles but turtles still win their races, don't they?? And we will each win our races!! :smiley:

I don't like to think of this as a race, as there is room for everyone to win, and absent medical issues, there is no timer, just a destination . . . Healthy!

• klcovington
    Options
    True --- I guess I should have said that each of us will win at our own personal journeys. But the turtle analogy was what I was thinking of by meaning that slow movement is still movement.
  • Patty2point0
    Patty2point0 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    True --- I guess I should have said that each of us will win at our own personal journeys. But the turtle analogy was what I was thinking of by meaning that slow movement is still movement.

We know what you originally meant and took it as positive support! :-).
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options

Yup!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Sorry if my comment came across negatively. Wasn't meant that way.

Rob

• klcovington
    Options
    No worries, Rob! I just wanted to clarify since it really isn't a race we are in but more of a lifelong adventurous journey. :smile:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I've always been a slow loser. But like everyone said here, it's not really a race it's a journey. To my way of thinking there is no finish line. Yes I may be finished losing at some point, but then the maintenance begins and the "journey continues". Congratualtions on your loss so far!
  • jcfelbi
    jcfelbi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The slower I lose, the more time I'm giving my skin to adjust ; ) I'm so happy to just see the scale creeping consistently in the right direction!!! 3 more weeks and I can go back to lifting weights. Never thought I'd miss it, but I do! (truly, it's the only exercise I enjoy...)
    Good luck to all --
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Whether I (or anyone else) lose slow or fast, the important thing is I am losing, not gaining. Every ounce that comes off helps my body function better. I am trying to teach myself to be content with Progress, not Perfection.
  • nkac1980
    nkac1980 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How can you figure out if you're down losing or in a stall...the scale hasn't moved in a month. Am I done? Is there a way to tell? I just started month 7 post op, total lost 67 lbs. Goal was to lose 80 which will put my weight at 161lb (and a normal BMI).
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have hardly lost anything the past few months. My surgeon did tell me that at some point, because my starting BMI was so high, that my body just might not lose any more. Also, I have been working out and doing a lot of strength training, and since muscle weighs more than fat, that could be part of the reason my scale isn't moving. I look at the big picture - I have lost 208lbs, I am a "normal" size, way healthier than I was before, and my quality of life is much better. I will continue to try to lose a little more, but if this is where my body decides I should be, I can live with it. There is no magical weight I should be or a specific size. My goals at the beginning of this journey were to be healthier and happier and make permanent lifestyle changes, and I have definitely reached those goals! Also, like Lori said, we should be happy with progress. If we try to aim for perfection, we will never reach our goals and we will be disappointed, because let's face it, we are human, and not perfect :-)
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this thread. I've also been disappointed with my weight loss at the 2 month mark. I just thought it was gonna fly off the first few months but that is not the case. I have lost 71 since I started my journey in February and I have to keep reminding myself of that. It just doesn't seem like 25 is enough these last 2 months. I'm greedy. lol. Without the tool of surgery we have been given, we could never lose that much weight.
    I enjoyed reading everyone's input and find this thread very encouraging. Thanks to all who have contributed. :)
  • jacqbult
    jacqbult Posts: 16
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi I am new too! My surgery was at the end of Nov. I lose 2 pounds gain 1...gain 1 lose two. I am so confused and a little bummed. I figured under 1000k cals I would be losing all the time. Now working out 20 min cardio 3 times a week and weight lifting 2 times a week...any advice to keep the scale going in the down direction...lol I have lost about 28 lbs in total from my preop diet
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Advice here you go, we didn't gain weight as fast as we're trying to loose it. This makes our expectations higher than reasonable in some cases. If we eat less than our bodies need and exercise to maintain and/ or build muscle and don't quit, we have to loose weight. The only unknown is how long it will take. The brain does have a set point for weight, but it can be overcome and maybe changed. This is the scientific research that is available today.

So, for me if I don't quit I will succeed so I'm just following orders until...
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    jacqbult wrote: »
    Hi I am new too! My surgery was at the end of Nov. I lose 2 pounds gain 1...gain 1 lose two. I am so confused and a little bummed. I figured under 1000k cals I would be losing all the time. Now working out 20 min cardio 3 times a week and weight lifting 2 times a week...any advice to keep the scale going in the down direction...lol I have lost about 28 lbs in total from my preop diet

My advice...stop weighing yourself so often! This is a huge problem for me personally, I became addicted to the scale. I loved seeing the number creep down daily, but like you said sometimes it would creep back up one day and then back down and repeat. I think it is healthier to weigh yourself weekly or less so that you can see the progress that one week of healthy living can do for your body.

I found that when I weighed myself daily, I would scrutinize what I ate and my activity from the previous day thinking that what I did the day before was the direct cause of my weight loss or possible gain the next day. This made me crazy and doubt in the process inevitably crept in! My doctor explained that I should think of things as an average to try and correct my maddening way of thinking.

What is my daily average for protein intake over the course of a week? What is my average for calories burned from activity? What is my average calorie deficit from dietary restrictions? Then I should compare those to the weight lost over the same week.

At this moment, I am trying to put my doctors advice into practice. I have committed to not weigh myself until January 31st. So I am testing the adage we have all said before, "follow the plan and positive results will follow." I will stay on plan and hope that come January 31st, I can recognize a bigger weight loss.
  • jacqbult
    Options
    jkern9110 wrote: »
    jacqbult wrote: »

My advice...stop weighing yourself so often! This is a huge problem for me personally, I became addicted to the scale. I loved seeing the number creep down daily, but like you said sometimes it would creep back up one day and then back down and repeat. I think it is healthier to weigh yourself weekly or less so that you can see the progress that one week of healthy living can do for your body.

I found that when I weighed myself daily, I would scrutinize what I ate and my activity from the previous day thinking that what I did the day before was the direct cause of my weight loss or possible gain the next day. This made me crazy and doubt in the process inevitably crept in! My doctor explained that I should think of things as an average to try and correct my maddening way of thinking.

What is my daily average for protein intake over the course of a week? What is my average for calories burned from activity? What is my average calorie deficit from dietary restrictions? Then I should compare those to the weight lost over the same week.

At this moment, I am trying to put my doctors advice into practice. I have committed to not weigh myself until January 31st. So I am testing the adage we have all said before, "follow the plan and positive results will follow." I will stay on plan and hope that come January 31st, I can recognize a bigger weight loss.

You must be my long lost sister because that is exactly how I feel!!!!!!!!! Okay...I will try to kick the scale habit. You are right. I am doubting. I did better on HGC. I know it will get better, just thought it would be a bit more productive....but Hey 30 pounds is great, I will keep telling myself that!

• cecejd
    cecejd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    jcfelbi wrote: »
    The slower I lose, the more time I'm giving my skin to adjust ; ) I'm so happy to just see the scale creeping consistently in the right direction!!! 3 more weeks and I can go back to lifting weights. Never thought I'd miss it, but I do! (truly, it's the only exercise I enjoy...)
    Good luck to all --
    This is exactly what my surgeon told me. I'm a bit of a slow loser and after dropping 55 lbs, I have no loose skin.