quick question

Options
emilymean
emilymean Posts: 159 Member
I'm making fried pork chops (with flour) for the family tonight (mine will be cooked separately). Do you think I could use their bones for stock if I wash them off? Or are they infused with flour when I fry them? I'm trying to be strict paleo. Thanks.

Replies

• emilymean
    Options
    Never mind, as I'm cooking them I can tell they won't be usable.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    To note for the future -- try almond or coconut flour, instead, or just don't use any at all. Non-wheat flours will give a little different texture, but can serve a similar purpose. There are a few "chicken nugget"/"chicken tenders" recipes out there that can give you an idea of how to use the almond flour as a breading.
  • emilymean
    Options
    Maybe I can try to sneak an alternative in next time, I'm the only one doing paleo in my house and my kids are so damn picky but it couldn't hurt to try. Thanks for the advice.
  • emilymean
    Options
    Thanks for the link! I book marked it for next week's menu. It looks really good and pretty easy. Much appreciated :).
  • MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My kids are so picky, I hate it. Slowly but surely they will find out how much better one feels once stuck to it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I have that cookbook! I made the chicken tenders recipe in it a while back. They were awesome, though a bit on the spicy side (pretty sure it had to do with the varieties of the spices we put in), but awesome. The only big downside was they got that soggy taste kind of quick and were kind of "meh" reheated, but I've had that issue with flour-based breaded stuff, too.
    MiRatlhed wrote: »
    My kids are so picky, I hate it. Slowly but surely they will find out how much better one feels once stuck to it.

Mine's pretty picky, too, but we've found that a lot of it seems to have to do with his gut being all kinds of screwed up (thank you, broad spectrum antibiotic-happy doctors for completely nuking his gut flora...). He's been a lot more willing to try things lately now that we're on the path to healing (the biggest fight has been getting him to eat meat, which we think had to do with it being hard for him to digest).

My biggest issue is actually with dealing with the federal nutrition regulations for the childcare providers. They insist on grains and milk (and on at least one of the programs, protein is actually optional!), it's so backwards. This article explains a lot of the issues, though the big one I have right now is that in order to "cut out entire food groups," I need a doctor's backing. It's like...really? I'd be more than happy to show that he's getting all the nutrition (and more, probably) that he needs without milk (which makes him sick) and grains (which are arguably inhibiting his nutrient absorption). I haven't fought too hard, yet, because his daycare is providing the food, but I'm getting ready for the fight when he gets into school and bags his lunch. I've heard some crazy stories about schools enforcing their rules even on kids who pack (beyond the allergy thing, which I get), and that just won't fly with me.
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Use sweet potato flour. It tastes better and works better than the other recommendations.
  • MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it just drive you mad when you still see it over and over in this day and age the push for having "whole grains" in your diet. What a load of crap and it is still mainstream in our schools.
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    punchgut wrote: »
    Use sweet potato flour. It tastes better and works better than the other recommendations.

Ooooh, I'll have to try this!

We use tapioca flour in our household. It's a root, so it's kind of carb-heavy, but it works well for breading.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    punchgut wrote: »

Ooooh, I'll have to try this!

We use tapioca flour in our household. It's a root, so it's kind of carb-heavy, but it works well for breading.

I find tapioca flour so filling too. Once in awhile we will get an Against The Grain frozen pizza that is made mostly with tapioca flour, and we find ourselves stuffed after just a few pieces!

• sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I used to bread all my pork chops but find that especially with bone-in just fry in a little fat [coconut oil or bacon grease] with salt and pepper is just as tasty.

Fat is flavor. :)
  • emilymean
    Options
    @ sporty, that's how I make mine and have decided that's how I'm making the kid's pork chops from now. It's my husband who won't eat it (among other foods) unless it's fried like he grew up eating. Of course he still weighs the same as he did in high school and always has, (he is 43) so he feels no need to make any changes in his diet. If I make an issue out it regarding his health he brings up the fact that his grandparents are all still alive on both his mother's and father's side, we're talking 93, 96 range and active and all there mentally. It's not worth arguing over so I just do my own thing. I appreciate your's and other's advice though and I will be making changes in my kid's menu from now on.
  • Captaincove
    Captaincove Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Frying the chops in lard gets them really crispy.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I use almond flour, I make it myself, but it's at just about every store. It leaves the chops with a nice nutty, crispy flavor!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    @Emily
    I forgot---a good seasoned cast iron skillet!

I put everything in that. Just make sure no one scrubs it and you lose the magical flavor. :)
  • emilymean
    Options
    I'm asking for a cast iron skillet for my birthday in a few weeks. The only one I have leaves grill marks on meat, which is awesome, but useless for cooking say, eggs or anything requiring a flat surface. I finally got a cast iron Dutch oven but, again, not ideal for eggs or anything that needs flipping. I seriously need a good skillet.