2 steps forward........3 steps back :/

Options
So I am a post VSG, 4 years this past Saturday. I got all the way down to 185, with only 20 little pounds to go maybe 25...depended on how far I wanted to go. Over the holidays here came 5.....7....oh look, 10 lbs back. I just wonder if I will ever be able to enjoy a holiday without absolutely hating them ever again?
Anyone else have this struggle?

8152560.png

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I regained 10 pounds too. I am 3.5 years out, not to goal (160), lowest was 222, yesterday was 232. Today I am back to basics, focusing on getting in all my protein and water, being active every day and more active at least 3 days per week. For me it wasn't the holidays, it was allowing myself to eat badly for several weeks in a row. Even after the holidays, I was eating not enough protein, too many carbs and too much sugar. Doesn't matter that I was within calorie goals, what I was eating was not to plan as my current weight proved. I know for a fact you and I are not the only ones with this issue. Yes I think we can eventually get through the holidays without a 10 pound gain. If I only overdid it at holiday parties it would have been maybe just a couple of pounds. Maybe some day that's what will happen, just a few bites at holiday parties and not allowing that to derail me every day for weeks.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve on 11/19 so I wasn't really able to eat anything bad this year. As for next year... that is the question mark. The holiday time seems to be a trigger for me to eat. I think in my head holiday and special food are entwined. How will I separate them? I don't know yet. But, I know for sure if I don't, I will be the one posting your question next year. I wouldn't mind a gain of a couple pounds, like Pawoodhull said. That means I enjoyed a few extra special treats, but didn't over do it. Maybe that is the goal I should be making. I hope that should you discover any solutions, you will post them because I will be needing the help in 11 1/2 months.
  • Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I try to keep telling myself that I loved myself enough to go thru a 2 week liquid diet, and now I can't steer clear of things I am not supposed to eat? Today, I too am back to basics. I had my protien for breakfast, soup and small salad for lunch and water water!! I have class right after work so that is the test for me. ugh!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Holidays can be tough, but remember, everything averages out. If you want to splurge a little around the holidays, you'll have to cut back an equal amount later to compensate.

I planned to eat "bad," but I also had a plan to make up for it. I find those sorts of plans keep me in control, rather than just mindlessly eating without end.
  • pawoodhull
    Options
    GT, And there's where I screwed up. I didn't have a plan. I was just mindlessly eating all through and after the holidays. It really wasn't the holidays or the treats, it was me being out of control again. And although I'm dissapointed in myself for losing control my 3rd holiday season out, I'm not beating myself up over this. Prior to VSG I would have seen myself as a failure and given up. If I've learned one thing in the last 3.5 years it is that even normal weight people have times they are not super vigilent and gain. The difference between me now and me 164 pounds ago? Now I know I'm not a failure. I'm a normal human who needs to get back into the routine that helped me lose 164 pounds and will help me re-lose the 10 and then eventually get down where I want to be.
    Pat
  • truckerchic
    truckerchic Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Pre plan for holidays,
    if your hosting parties find healthy yummy dishes to make so you have options.
    Have someone help keep you accountable during these tough times
    Control is hard or we wouldn't have ended up where we did, take it meal by meal and do your best and on January 1st back to basics. I'm on day 5 of the 5 day pouch test and I'm refocused
  • Jamielynn_77
    Options
    I love the 5 day pouch test and didine last week. I can tell the difference again and too am refocused. It is times like thise that I feel like I am failing myself and everything that I worked for. It is good to know that there are others who fight the same battles and have advice. I have to remember to plan and have a strategy for things like that. ☺️
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How does the 5 day test work? I mean, what do you do?
  • Hildabean
    Hildabean Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Whats the 5 day pouch test?
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    http://www.5daypouchtest.com/ is what I found on google
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    OMG the article on that link about "slider foods" is me! Today was my first day back to basics and I did pretty well. This topic is so timely though, and a good reinforcement that my pouch isn't broken, but my adherence to the basic rules has gotten way off track.
  • Jamielynn_77
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The pouch test is kind of set up like the post op diet only condensed and it helps to see if you have stretched your pouch. I try to do it twice a year just to keep myself in check. so far so good. It kind of reminds me of how small my stomach is and how little I really need to eat.
    @Tristaan I know right! Slider foods can be my Achilles heel. :#
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm am right there with all of you. I mindlessly ate all holiday season long. I haven't been to the gym since JULY. . . I've gained 20 lbs since then, putting me over 200 lbs. I feel like a failure. I skipped my November 2 year follow up appointment with DR because I was so embarassed. My BF started a 3 week liquid diet this AM. His surgery date is Feb 10th. I'm really nervous for him. And completely ashamed of myself.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I'm am right there with all of you. I mindlessly ate all holiday season long. I haven't been to the gym since JULY. . . I've gained 20 lbs since then, putting me over 200 lbs. I feel like a failure. I skipped my November 2 year follow up appointment with DR because I was so embarassed. My BF started a 3 week liquid diet this AM. His surgery date is Feb 10th. I'm really nervous for him. And completely ashamed of myself.

Holly,

Don't get down . . . get back on the program! You know how you succeeded, start that process again. Ashamed doesn't help anyone, especially you. Give yourself a break, a pep talk, and get back into the habits and behaviors that you need to turn this thing around again.

We're here for you!

Rob
  • pawoodhull
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »

Holly,

Don't get down . . . get back on the program! You know how you succeeded, start that process again. Ashamed doesn't help anyone, especially you. Give yourself a break, a pep talk, and get back into the habits and behaviors that you need to turn this thing around again.

We're here for you!

Rob

This! Shamed isn't productive and isn't helping you. You had a blip but you can get it off again. I'm down 5 of the 10 I gained over the holidays. So work it off with me. We can do this!

Pat

• Jamielynn_77
    Options
    I agree with Pat and Rob. We got here because of our affinity with food and it's a forever battle. I have my stellar days and my not so much days. I have to tell myself it's just one day. The holidays tho are just one not so much day after another. Glad they only come once a year! ☺️
    Now to rid of what's left of the holidays hanging around my waist!
  • Jamielynn_77
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »

Holly,

We're here for you!

Rob

We are all here for each other. This place is probably my saving grace some days. Chin up chica! You can do this, we can do this!
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Holly, you have a golden opportunity to help your BF while also helping yourself. You can support one another and set an example for your BF to follow as you follow the plan. Stay in contact here and use the group to build you up. We all have setbacks and this is a great place to come when you need to refocus. YOU CAN DO IT! You know you can
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Well my answer to you is get back on the horse as they say. Water first protein next then vegetables and fruits. Exercise and build muscle along with cardio. It's not too late! You can do it and we will help.
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I really appreciate the pep talk. Now on to walking the walk and not just talking the talk. :)