basic or recipes

Options
For those of you following the paleo lifestyle, do you follow a pretty basic plan and eat similar foods every day? It seems like there are so many recipes that look wonderful but its not very realistic for me to cook that much. I'm hoping that I don't get bored eating a lot of the same things. How often do you try new recipes?

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I haven't stuck to Paleo very strictly lately but I try to keep it simple.The first time I tried paleo I made a lot of paleo baked goods and paleofied recipes. They were too caloric (and expensive!)and just fed my carb addiction. I like to have a protein fruit smoothie for breakfast and a green salad with a protein for lunch and dinner. That way it is much easier to get my fresh veg eatables in. I like to cook but I appreciate the simplicity of this plan. I throw chicken in the crock pot with some broth and turn it on.mcan use it several different ways once it's cooked. Or have fish or some other meat for protein. I will add a sweet potato or squash for side.mThat keeps it from getting too boring for me.
  • ScotinSeattle
    ScotinSeattle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I started pinning recipes via pinterest and trying them. Making two or three different meals every weekend and then freezing them for lunches or dinner. So far so good. There are a few things I'm not keen on but will still try them, my husband tends to finish them anyway. I like to try something different every weekend. There really are some amazing and easy recipes out there. One of my faves so far is shepherds pie. Oh it's SO GOOD! That and an easy lunch of canned wild tuna, mayo, hard boiled egg and 1/2 avocado. Super tasty and filling. Right now I'm testing out paleo bread in my bread maker, or rather will be once all the ingredients arrive (Thank you Amazon)...
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much the same thing everyday.

I'll try a new soup recipe probably once a month because it's easy. For me the simpler I keep it, the more likely I am to stick with it.

• 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm the world's laziest cook. I try new recipes once in a while, but I rely on go-to foods. Eggs in the microwave, frozen veggies and tuna mixed together, microwaved sweet potatoes, Applegate hot dogs (grass fed, all beef, and $5 at Trader Joe's), chicken breasts, crockpot stew....
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I am a food lover so I try new things a lot, but try to not make the goodies and junk substitutes too often. I will try different basic recipes like for meats and veggies, but I don't make muffins and breads and such very often at all. I use Pinterest A LOT! I have gotten some great ideas from there and have started a board called "Next Weeks Menu" to gather ideas efficiently. I do some batch cooking and also use my crockpot for work nights.
  • LoriCARoberts
    LoriCARoberts Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It sounds like keeping it simple is the best approach and maybe I'll try some new recipes occasionally. Right now I'm making an egg casserole that I can hopefully eat all week for breakfast. Its just eggs and veggies so it was really easy. I can add some salsa and avocado to it in the morning. Lunch is going to be leftovers and dinner will be a variation of what my family eats. Thank you for all the great ideas!
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs every morning and vary the style and then add on some veggies, and I do different cook ups every Sunday for my lunches for the week along with a salad or veggies everyday too, then dinners vary every night. So you can say I eat similar things everyday but the cycle doesn't repeat with the exception of breakfast and frankly I find tons of variety in the foods I eat and the way it is prepared, there are no boring foods in my life.
  • mmgavitt
    mmgavitt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love to cook so I try new stuff all the time. I did buy a subscription to emeals paleo plan (SO and I are both in school and work full time so it makes our lives easier) and it helped a lot. However, it is not needed. Cook in bulk. Even with the meal plan (fyi, they do not do strict paleo so I modify to make it to what I do) we double the meal so we get several meals out of 1 cooking. We will often do that with 2 different meals so we can alternate.

Also, you can freeze things in single servings for grab and go. I froze egg muffins (egg, mushroom, onion, and sausage cooked in a muffin tin) and they were pretty ok reheated as long as they had paper towel to absorb water.
  • LoriCARoberts
    LoriCARoberts Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm going to check out emeals. Thanks!
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I mirror everyone else- I have staples that I stick with on a pretty regular basis but still try a new recipe every week or so. The more I stick with Paleo (as I have been off the wagon before...) the more adventurous with recipes I become :)

Since it's winter and cold where I live there's a lot of slow cooker action in the kitchen; closer to summer lots of BBQing and salads
  • MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    msnucerity wrote: »
    I mirror everyone else- I have staples that I stick with on a pretty regular basis but still try a new recipe every week or so. The more I stick with Paleo (as I have been off the wagon before...) the more adventurous with recipes I become :)

Since it's winter and cold where I live there's a lot of slow cooker action in the kitchen; closer to summer lots of BBQing and salads

Almost my exact routine as well. Some say they bbq all winter but when it is 10 outside I just like to cook indoors....haha

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Lca1987 wrote: »
    do you follow a pretty basic plan and eat similar foods every day?

Yeah, definitely. 80% meat, veggies, eggs. What else is there?

I guess some people play around with like synthetic spaghetti made out of beets or something, but that sounds like waaaay too much effort.