Recovery Time and Return to work

Options
JamesAztec
JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
Hello all! I'm pretty new here. I'm still about 2-3 months away from surgery but I'm trying to do some post-op planning now.

I'll be getting the vertical sleeve and I'm curious about recovery time. Specifically how quick I can/should return to work. I'm a bus driver so my job isn't super strenuous but I do use my arms and legs quite a bit to steer the bus. I have a co-worker that returned to work in 1 week. That seems rather quick to me. I'm thinking maybe 2+ weeks. Of course I'll discuss my specific situation more with my surgeon.

Wondering what personal experiences were when returning? How much time did you take off? And what adjustments did you make at work (if any) due to your surgery?

Replies

• Laurac727
    Laurac727 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I fly and do inspection things and they told me minimum of a month....period. I tried to negotiate and they said one month minimum. I also am in pre op phases and hoping to get a surgery date at my Jan 13 appointment at least on the calendar would be nice, same as you I need to plan work and such around it
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom. When I had my surgery my boys were 3 & 5. I was at nearly 100% after a week and had lifting restrictions for 3 weeks. My husband was back to work after a week (he's a computer engineer) we both had RNY. I felt really good by the time I was released from the hospital (surgery at 1pm on Friday, released at 9am on Sunday.)
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved and back to work in a week. I have a desk job so other than just moving slowly and going to bed super early I didn't need to make any adjustments. Good luck!!
  • ARScheuvront
    ARScheuvront Posts: 3
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I ended up getting an infection for I'm really glad my doctor had me out a full four weeks. My one incision is still pretty open an leaking... Therefore I'm glad I am not at work dealing with this
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My surgeon mandated a month, but gave me 6 weeks out for good measure.
  • choosing2
    choosing2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was told 3 weeks, but then on my release day, my surgeon said 4 weeks. I was probably at 90% by the end of 3 weeks.
  • hochhalc
    hochhalc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had a sleeve and was able to work from home the next week. I waited a few more days before starting to drive. I would think with your responsibilities you will need to be out longer.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I took two weeks off. I started working from home the first week because I was bored. When I went back to work, I was pretty tired but the fatigue went away after about the third week for me.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Rest up and enjoy that time off :smile:
  • AWPerrone
    AWPerrone Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    RNY on Friday, Jan 2, 2015 at 8:45am. Walked half a mile that afternoon. No pain meds needed after first day. Barely any discomfort, which was a surprise to me. Discharged on Sunday, Jan 4 with instructions to not drive or lift anything greater than 10 lbs. other than that no activity restrictions. Set 2 week off expectation at work, but have already checked in and put in some time from home. Post-op appt tomorrow, Jan 9. Frankly I feel better than I have in years. I actually had to confirm with several people in the hospital that I did, in fact have the procedure!

Will return to work full time next week. Nice surprise!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve on 11/19. I do office work but the dr suggested I take 2 weeks anyway. I'm glad I did because it was nice to relax. Plus, on my left side (others have it on their right side) is where the big incision was and they cut through muscle or muscle sheath or something. Anyway, that area is fairly sore, especially with movement of side to side or reaching, for a few weeks afterwards. You might want to think about that as you decide how much time off you will need.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Mine was to the mid and left side :neutral_face:
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Plan on two weeks. You really need the time to adjust to work through the first stages of the diet and shake off all the effects of surgery. Driving a bus will stress your core which is right where the healing needs to be.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I had RNYGP on 3 Nov, surgeon said to plan on 2-4 weeks at home but acknowledged some patients are ready after one. I assumed I would be ready after one, that's just how I normally roll. But at the end of the first week I didn't feel ready and my boss encouraged me to take a second week, I'm very glad that I did. You only get one chance to heal, so take the time if you can. There's plenty of time to start pushing yourself physically later.
  • angelface674
    Options
    This is a really individual case type question so I can only answer from that perspective. I had RNY May 2014 and even though they decreased I still needed pain medication 2 weeks out. I slept in the recliner a few times or in my bed with a wedge pillow which is an awesome tool. I was also given an abdominal binder to wear and that made things feel so much better. I was a Type 2 diabetic and am a slow healer. Also, keep in mind your job. I think you said you are a bus driver so if you are still on a narcotic pain med it's probably not time to go back. In addition my doctor didn't want me to do activities that were going to really pull on my stitches and staples. I'm sure when you drive your personal vehicle you will see how much it will affect you. But when I see bus drivers cranking that wheel...might need more than 2 weeks. I needed 4 personally. Also my best friend recently had the surgery and she had the option of having a trans-abdominal nerve blocker. She was walking and standing up completely straight right after surgery. I was hunched for a bit...lol...I think it helped her out in the beginning. Maybe inquire?
  • rchallway
    rchallway Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had VSG on 11/25, and was back to work on 12/3. I did ok, but I was REALLY tired that first week back. Looking back, it probably would have been better to take a 3rd week off, just to catch up on sleep.
  • truckerchic
    truckerchic Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm a otr truck driver had rny, I went back after two weeks. I had no issues but wished I had taken another week or so. Mainly to focus on the stages your day is spent trying to reach your goals and I got tired pretty quick done my shift and right to bed lol
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and they recommended that I take 6 weeks off, I am at about 4 weeks out and feel great, but I'm going to take their advice, I don't know if I'm healed well enough to catch an unsteady patient yet ;)
  • benagek
    benagek Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on Friday and was back at work the following Wednesday. I work at a desk and my boss is very flexible with us having snacks and such while we are working so it really wasn't an issue for me. Everyone is different though. I personally would have gone insane had I had to stay home for longer than 2 weeks.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I took four weeks off and while I could have gone back physically sooner, Having the extra time gave the freedom to exercise more, get out in the autumn fresh air, and really feel ready when i went back to work. Luckily, I have a very good short term medical plan at work and I had never used in in 25 years, so I took what they offered and don't regret it a bit.

Rob