Stretching, Flexibility, Mobility

Options
FromHereOnOut
FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
Just wondering what others are doing for stretching, flexibility, mobility?

Replies

• roni0906
    roni0906 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I start Yoga this week for 1x per week. I usually do some stretching exercises after cardio (although not as much as i should).
  • Roxy_Arcane
    Roxy_Arcane Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Nothing, but I probably should..
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    roni, good luck with the yoga. Do you know what kind of yoga it will be? I've always wanted to like yoga, but I'm not sure I actually would (never tried an actual class, only vids).

I was thinking maybe strength people don't do much of this, because I almost never hear it mentioned. I do basic stretching and I stretch out sore spots, but I'm thinking some mobility/flexibility work would do me some good.

There's a stretching class at my gym, but i've never taken a fitness class before, plus it'd be in a language I don't understand (although I could probably get by, copying everyone else). It's on Friday night & the same time that my son has martial arts, so the time isn't great and I've never been there during it to see how crowded it is. To me, stretching feels sooo good after a run (it's the best part!), so I'm thinking I might like the class. Just wish it were in the afternoon when I'm at the gym. :(
  • subisa1825
    Options
    I just recently started foam rolling BEFORE my workouts. I especially foam roll my glutes (each side), then move on to my IT bands, hamstrings, quads, lower back, in between my shoulder blades. I then do about 5-10 minutes of dynamic stretching. After my workout, I foam roll again (not as long but I target whatever area I worked on) but could foam roll as long as you want...it's kind of like a deep tissue massage. Then I end with some yoga poses (specifically hip openers but I try to stretch my arms as well - especially if I worked it out hard core). It may not sound like a lot but this is coming from a person who would barely do a warm up AT ALL...and I always wondered why I hurt so much! I think the foam roller is great! Just play around with it and see what works best for you. :)
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I never ever stretch. I really need to start doing this. My boyfriend started stretching 5-8 minutes every morning about 3 months ago and he's seen a HUGE increase in his flexibility. I also have a foam roller, my glutes would thank me for this... When I'm in the gym I basically want to do my workout and leave asap, because I'm hungry or tired or etc. But when I'm at home, I honestly have NO excuse.
  • subisa1825
    Options
    Yes! Very true! Maybe while watching a show you could foam roll or stretch out? Sometimes I do that! Lol!
  • AnnicaJohansson
    AnnicaJohansson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I noticed today that I'm as agile as the average refrigerator. I used to be really flexible. The usual excuses (I was younger back then, I trained martial arts and I didn't spend as much time in the gym) comes to mind, but I try to tell my self it's just bad excuses and nothing more.

Which is why I, as of today, will stretch at least 15 minutes every day. I will get my flexibility back.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    fit_mama30 wrote: »
    I never ever stretch. I really need to start doing this. My boyfriend started stretching 5-8 minutes every morning about 3 months ago and he's seen a HUGE increase in his flexibility. I also have a foam roller, my glutes would thank me for this... When I'm in the gym I basically want to do my workout and leave asap, because I'm hungry or tired or etc. But when I'm at home, I honestly have NO excuse.

I totally understand that feeling of wanting to get in and out of the gym ASAP since I go there after a long day at work.

• roni0906
    roni0906 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    fit_mama30 wrote: »

That is great. I am trying to stretch about that much after my workouts. I have been taught that it is better to stretch warm muscles than cold muscles to prevent injury. I have never been very flexible. I missed my yoga class this past weekend because we were out of town. I have heard of the foam rollers be very helpful so I think I will pick one up. I have extremely tight hamstrings and thing that this would be very useful on those muscles.