Supplements

Options
erica79
erica79 Posts: 242 Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm Erica. I've been a member of this group awhile but hardly ever post. I do read a lot of the threads though and they are always helpful. I've been attempting low carb for several months now. I was doing really well last year, then the holidays hit, the in-laws came to visit and I gave into my cravings. I've been struggling to get back into keto ever since. I've been doing a lot of reading up on low carb and a lot of web sites recommend different supplements like 5-htp and carnitine as well as a good multi vitamin which I already take.
I was wondering if anyone here takes any of these supplements and if they find them effective in combating cravings and giving you extra energy?

Replies

• x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin, and it helps with energy - not so sure about hunger / cravings though. However, I will say when I have a craving it's usually for something weird like catfish, steak, oysters, etc... I don't really get any cravings for cookies, cakes, chips, etc... Unless I splurge on something I shouldn't have in the first place (like Breyer's carb smart icecream - that stuff is the devil lol.)

I used to take a fiber supplement - I regret not taking it anymore, I need to buy more. These certainly help keep you regular, which is a big issue I have eating at or under 20 carbs a day. I will be honest, even as a CNA I hadn't begun worrying about BM so much since I've started this diet lol (ya ya, tmi, but it is what it is.)

I also take a thyroid support supplement (liquid drops,) because I do in fact have hypothyroidism, and it helps boost me up a touch more where I need to be. I started taking it because I was getting patchy eyebrows, cold hands, cold feet (also general sensitivity to the cold,) brittle hair, joint / muscle pains, restlessness and of course very hard to lose weight for me as opposed to others. This stuff helps me with all that thankfully :)
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    erica79 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    ... I've been doing a lot of reading up on low carb and a lot of web sites recommend different supplements like 5-htp and carnitine as well as a good multi vitamin which I already take.
    I was wondering if anyone here takes any of these supplements and if they find them effective in combating cravings and giving you extra energy?

Hi, I've taken both, thx 4 the reminder. Carnitine:

"...Carnitine is an essential nutrient with vitamin-like qualities.
    It is considered essential in helping to transport fatty acids
    into mitochondria (the power plants of the cells).

A deficiency in carnitine can therefore result in an overall
    reduction in energy production by the cells.
    It is well-known that individuals can become carnitine-deficient
    for a number of reasons...'
    www.diagnose-me.com/treatment/acetyl-L-carnitine.html

'...Nutr J. 2014 Nov 26;13:110. doi: 10.1186/1475-2891-13-110.
    L-carnitine ameliorated fasting-induced fatigue, hunger, and metabolic abnormalities in patients with metabolic syndrome: a randomized controlled study...'
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25424121

"...What foods provide carnitine?

Animal products like meat, fish, poultry, and milk are the best sources.

In general, the redder the meat, the higher its carnitine content.
    Dairy products contain carnitine primarily in the whey fraction [1,3,5].
    The carnitine content of several foods is listed in Table 1...'
    ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Carnitine-HealthProfessional/

Thx fer yer question...very helpful here.
    /tq :smile:

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I take 1 multivitamin, 2 omega-3 (1400mg each) capsules, a probiotic and B12 and Vitamin D (I was deficient in both at my checkup earlier this year, Vit D more than the B12).

As for the cravings, I can't really help. I don't get them, in fact I can make decadent brownies with homemade chocolate buttercream and fudge and not eat any with very little trouble.