new to this lifestyle

Lei9785gha
Lei9785gha Posts: 73 Member
Hi all,
Ive been on mfp for a while so not new to the app but new to the community forums. I have been trying to figure out for the laat two yrs y i cant lose more weight and its bc im addicted to all carbs the good the bad and the worst...starting now I will live a low carb lifestyle to better my health and mind body and soul..friend me to view my diary and help me out please. Thanks

Starting tomorrow. I need to lose 20-30 lbs so I can commit to having a baby next yr. I wouldn't want to get pregnant on top of this fat..plus I need my health to be almost perfect because I may have fertility issues. ...

Replies

• angela_carreen
    angela_carreen Posts: 17 Member
    Welcome! A lot of ladies find out going LC helps their fertility so this is a great place to start!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Have you talked to your doctor about PCOS? If you're having issues with weight and fertility, that may be part of the root cause (it's one of the most common causes of fertility issues in women). You might want to see about getting tested (hormone tests, and fasting glucose and insulin test are required to help diagnose it), that way you can start addressing it now if it is part of the problem.

A low carb way of eating is definitely one of the best lifestyle changes to help with all of the above. Even if it's not, this is a great way of eating to lose weight and be healthier overall. Make sure you check out the resources on what goes on in the first week or two, and what to do to get through it. If you're switching from eating a bunch of refined carbs, then the first couple of weeks can be rough. It's normal, but it often turns people off to this way of eating, because they don't realize there's a sort of "break-in" period.

In short, for the first week or two, don't restrict calories, just eat to satiety and log your food to ensure you're eating enough, drink lots of water, eat lots of fat, and make sure you're getting plenty of sodium. Going low carb actually requires you to eat more sodium, so that your electrolytes stay in balance and you don't risk deficiencies in sodium, potassium, or magnesium.
  • Lei9785gha
    Welcome! A lot of ladies find out going LC helps their fertility so this is a great place to start!

Thanks so much. I hope so!
  • Lei9785gha
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Have you talked to your doctor about PCOS? If you're having issues with weight and fertility, that may be part of the root cause (it's one of the most common causes of fertility issues in women). You might want to see about getting tested (hormone tests, and fasting glucose and insulin test are required to help diagnose it), that way you can start addressing it now if it is part of the problem.

A low carb way of eating is definitely one of the best lifestyle changes to help with all of the above. Even if it's not, this is a great way of eating to lose weight and be healthier overall. Make sure you check out the resources on what goes on in the first week or two, and what to do to get through it. If you're switching from eating a bunch of refined carbs, then the first couple of weeks can be rough. It's normal, but it often turns people off to this way of eating, because they don't realize there's a sort of "break-in" period.

In short, for the first week or two, don't restrict calories, just eat to satiety and log your food to ensure you're eating enough, drink lots of water, eat lots of fat, and make sure you're getting plenty of sodium. Going low carb actually requires you to eat more sodium, so that your electrolytes stay in balance and you don't risk deficiencies in sodium, potassium, or magnesium.

My dr and I planned to do full work ups on my husband and I in August so until then I want to get healthier. I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks for taking the time to chat with me. Every word of advice counts at this point.
  • Lei9785gha
    Day one I wanted to follow the Atkins induction 20 g plan but had a hard time but I think I still did good for my very first time....I had a total of 30 net carbs and I worked out....how was that for day one? Friend me and critique my diary. I can take it. Will definitely learn from your advice as a newbie!
  • angela_carreen
    angela_carreen Posts: 17 Member
    Of course that's a good start! It's hard in the beginning to change everything. 30 isn't going to give you the immediate response 20 will, BUT it's better than before and I think any improvement is good improvement. Good job!
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    You did awesome going to 30g carbs on day one - it's such a huge adjustment. Some of my friends that I coach with LCHF eating I start them off at 100g of carbs per day for the first week - I want to get them use to paying attention to labels and carbs. Then we drop to 80g the next week, and gradually go down to 20g or less. In some ways it lessens the flu like symptoms we experience by going so low so fast (detoxing). And I also think it helps get comfortable with a full lifestyle change. Cutting different foods out each week tends to funnel them to what's ok, and what's not without it just being a BAM - "can't have that" mentality. It can be so hard to adjust. I'm super proud of why you're doing this - the health benefits far outweigh the weightloss (IMO). ~Cheers!
  • CJ0821
    CJ0821 Posts: 51 Member
    Congrats on taking the first steps to a healthier life! It can be challenging at times, but then when you get on the scale and you are down a few pounds in a couple weeks it is soooo motivational!! I agree with everyone, 30g net is great for the first day! It is definitely an adjustment. Volfan22 has a great method as well, gradually decreasing carbs is an excellent idea! Good Luck! Great thing about this group is someone is always around to answer a question, if it hasn't already been answered, or give you some advice... or a virtual hand slap if you are craving the yucky stuff.. LOL :D
  • Lei9785gha
    Thanks all my cravings are in check I can't believe it. I hAve a few questions I am posting a new discussion now. Thanks soooo much
  • Lei9785gha
    33 g today