Any advice on toning body and building abdominal muscles?

Options
I am 20 years old and I am 5'4 and I weigh about 124 pounds. I eat a lot of sweets almost as much as I eat regular food. I am trying to change my eating habits and lose fat so I can have a more defined body. For the last week I have been doing workouts in my room. I've done some ab workouts and squats. My stomach is flat but I want to work on my abdominal muscles. My ultimate goal is to have a toned and defined body. What are the best exercises I should do and/or how much weight should I aim to lose? I am also wondering do I have to lose fat in order for my abs to be visible? Any advice would be helpful.

Replies

• tessavonhagen
    tessavonhagen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Try 21 day fix www.teambeachbodycoach/TESSAVONHAGEN
  • sybilemc
    Options
    I did a lot of aerobics and 100 sit ups a night.
  • jeanettewarbie
    jeanettewarbie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Weight training and cardio mixed is the best way to do it, but exercise won't give you abs, what you eat does. I trained for years but my abs only came out once I cut all *kitten* out of my diet xxx
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Core exercises. Anything that engages your abs will help build that muscle group.

If you just lose fat, you'll just have a nice flat stomach with no definition. Adding muscle will give you the look your looking for.

I personally avoid sit ups, there are so many other exercises to do that give better results. Just google it and find something you want to do and add a few more exercises each week.

As far as how much do you need to lose- I'd get my body fat % checked and then shoot for a healthy range. Like I'm same height as you but am 127lbs, 27%bf. I'd like to be about 18-22% so in my case I'd need to lose ~9 pounds of fat. Or gain about that in muscle...