Where do I start?!

Options
Ro5238
Ro5238 Posts: 144 Member
Do I need to buy things? If so what? Should I loose weight first then try this? How does this work?

I'm 200 (ugh) down from 210- trying to get down to 175 for now. I'm 5'4, and have acquired a pear shape- I'd like to not loose it- surprisingly it is the only flattering thing about my body.

Help- I'm not sure where to start! I'd love to be more toned!

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Check out www.bodybuilding.com
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    You can definitely start lifting while you have weight to lose. I started already and I'm still obese for my height. In fact, the general suggestions are that it is better to start lifting sooner instead of later.

What I did was search around for different beginner programs. There are a fair number to pick from between bodybuilding.com, stronglifts, starting strength, and new rules of lifting. Spend some time looking at your options, what you have available and what will work for your goals. If you go to a gym, having a trainer work with you once you pick a program will help you get comfortable with the moves and the form, as you want to get the form down before the weights start getting heavy. At home can be trickier with most programs unless you have a weight setup already, but there are a few options for body weights mentioned on the fitness part of the forums that you could check out if don't have any equipment or access to a gym.

As for the weight loss, that will be more influenced by your nutrition and where your body decides where to lose.
  • Nayners21
    Nayners21 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Start now! Weight lifting will help the process of losing weight! Just pick up dumb bells if you don't have a gym membership.
  • JamieK512
    JamieK512 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Definitely start now, you want to lose fat not muscle. I got a book from the library called burn the fat, feed the muscle and it has a lot of great information in it.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Look up StrongLifts or Starting Strength. I am starting StrongLifts tomorrow on a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday schedule. :smiley:
  • MonicaBenavidez
    MonicaBenavidez Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had the same question to about losing some weight first and then starting to lift. You ladies have inspired me to start now. :)
  • ihatebeingfat23
    Options
    I'm going to do stronglifts it has videos for every workout even an app to help keep track
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you are a VERY beginner, there is so much you can do with body weight alone for resistance. I am not intending to discourage lifting weights (I do heavy lifts 3x a week). You can start with things like push-ups (knees or toes) to hit chest and triceps (depending on your arm/hand position), dips (off a step or the floor), planks, crunches, squats, lunges. supermans, etc. Using your own body weight is a good way to start if you want to ease into it with minimal investment. I use body weight options frequently when I travel since many hotels have no or limited weight equipment. Feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like tips!
  • FNXHRT
    FNXHRT Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    suggestions on number of days per week for lifting? Day 2 after lifting I am SO sore. I feel like I am not getting anywhere with building strength. I am starting at the very bottom with strength and endurance. :(
  • Nayners21
    Nayners21 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    When I first started was at the very bottom. My trainer had me on a "push/pull" workout. For instance, I did 3 days of lifting, Day one: Back/Biceps, Day 2: Legs/shoulders, Day 3: Chest/triceps. Combining certain muscle groups is best. The other 2 days were cardio. As long as you hit each muscle group one time a week, you should be good.
  • mama_bear91215
    mama_bear91215 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i started with body pump, it's more cardio than lifting BUT it helped me a TON with form, that and it gave me a great jumping off point!
  • hcolyer
    Options
    Anyone got a good routine schedule to share
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Many of the pre made routines will have a set schedule that is recommended, which makes them pretty easy to follow. Stronglifts, for example, is a 3 day a week lifting program that focuses on the compound movements. First week you would do Workout A on one day, take a day off from lifting, then Workout B, day off again, followed by Workout A and two days off. Then you start week 2 with Workout B. I think NROLFW is also a 3 day split but it has different workouts depending on what stage you're in at the time. 4 day splits are common in other programs but there are still days off for either rest or cardio depending what you want to do.

I do stronglifts for now, and will walk after lifting at the gym, but on my days off I either rest or do a cardio day, or take a grit strength class. Whatever fits in my week and work schedule.
  • labeastette
    labeastette Posts: 82 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I follow the Body Beast program for weight training and have had pretty good results with it. Not a lot of body fat lost but I think that is my fault...sometimes difficult to eat clean all the time. But seriously, my entire life, I've always had fatty arms. Since doing Body Beast, my arms have really toned up and I can see muscle! My shoulders have also become more defined. I never used to be able to see my collar bone and can now! It does take time...results for me took at least 6 months to see, but stick with it. Eating right is a HUGE portion of it. The Body Beast program had me eating a lot, but it was worth it to help build muscle. Try not to pay attention to the scale and pay attention to how your clothes fit. You will be amazed how fit you can look at 175...people couldn't believe when I told them my weight and that is because of the muscle. For me, being a beginner, the Body Beast program was great because it has a schedule, dvds and meal plan you can follow to help you stay on track. You will be sore and that is a good thing. I try to lift 6 days a week and the times vary from 30 minutes to an hour. I also try to incorporate cardio at least 2x a week. Muscle is denser than fat which means it takes up less space, so if you convert 1 lb of fat to 1 lb of muscle, you will start to see a difference in how your clothes fit even if the scale isn't budging. Make sure to take your measurements before you start so you can keep track of inches lost instead of pounds. Oh, and I don't have a gym membership. I did it all at home! If you're a beginner, you can start out with light dumbbells and add additional equipment like a bench and barbell set. I'd recommend getting at least 3 different weights of dumbbells to start (5, 8, 10 lbs) and you can add more as you get stronger. That's really all you need. Good luck!
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I just started Stronglifts last week. I like it because it keeps it simple. I will just buy new weights as I move up and need heavier. I am doing all mine at home. Anyone feel free to add me, I am really hoping to find more women friends who are also lifting.
  • fmondragon34
    fmondragon34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What are strong lifts? Is it an app of some kind?
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    It's a lifting program with a focus on strength that is good for beginners. There is an app but it's also explained on the web site (stronglifts.com). There is a group here on MFP as well for women doing the program and a few others. Basic compound lifts with planned progression. I've done it for almost 11 weeks now and still enjoy it.