'Quit your gritchin!'

weeziebeth
weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
So, had a 1 month postop appointment with my surgeon last Friday. I was talking about my mixed feelings-feel great but a little discouraged with weight loss. While he was compassionate and kind and acknowledged the frustration, he basically told me to quit my fussing and keep moving forward. Then he had me try to lift a 50 lb kettle ball from under my seat (I couldn't, not from the position I was in) and reminded me that was how much I'd lost thus far.

What can I say-he's right. Went over diet and activity with both surgeon and nutritionist and I'm doing everything right from their perspective. And the fact is, I feel amazing. So, I commit to quittin' the gritchin' and moving forward. Scale finally started moving that day but I'm going to work at not being discouraged when its pace slows/stalls.

Replies

• relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Way to go weeziebeth. Sounds like you have great support from your surgeon and nutritionist and that they are pleased with your progress. We have to be patient. I think when we lose a lot of weight before surgery we plateau earlier and hit our first stall earlier.
    Of course this is only based on my personal experience.
    You are doing great my friend. :)
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Get rid of that disappointment and start to celebrate you! You are doing great. I think if we all lost our weight really quickly, we would probably miss the lesson of learning how to eat making mindful and wise choices. Put a smile on your face and keep moving forward.
  • weeziebeth
    Get rid of that disappointment and start to celebrate you! You are doing great. I think if we all lost our weight really quickly, we would probably miss the lesson of learning how to eat making mindful and wise choices. Put a smile on your face and keep moving forward.

No no! I am over that disappointment!!! That's the point!

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    If only there was one way and one way only of doing this, it would probably be easier on everyone! I think your doctor is right, and you have the right attitude. Do the right things, and this will work. You are doing great!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    You are doing great! And having a better attitude is a wonderful goal! I might be a lot less frustrated if I kept my mind on what I've lost and how much better I feel rather than being frustrated with my scale not moving. Good points! Thanks for sharing them!
  • funfatfriend
    funfatfriend Posts: 57 Member
    I had my one month on Friday also, I have lost 31 pounds since surgery. I think you are doing great!
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    I need to take your advice! I had my 4 weeks appointment today and they said I am doing great, was hoping I could be advanced to soft foods, but they said not yet :( I've already been on purees for two weeks but they require 4 weeks, I am traveling next week and it would have been so much easier not to have to travel with my blender! lol but I am thankful for this journey and am happy with my success so far, so I guess I need to "quit my gritchin" too lol
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    edited January 2015
    Good for him. You have done fantastic. Keep it up. Sometimes the more we stress over losing the less we lose. It will come off and some of us are a little slower at losing, but that isn't a bad thing. I am 4 weeks out and only lost 15 since surgery. I lost a lot before surgery and I am ok with it. It is a long process and I am feeling great. We need to be patient (this is not my strong area at all!)
  • weeziebeth
    I had my one month on Friday also, I have lost 31 pounds since surgery. I think you are doing great!

Strong work! Doesn't if feel good!?!

• weeziebeth
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    You are doing great! And having a better attitude is a wonderful goal! I might be a lot less frustrated if I kept my mind on what I've lost and how much better I feel rather than being frustrated with my scale not moving. Good points! Thanks for sharing them!

Thank you Pat-so glad to be on this journey with you! Focusing on how much better I feel is, I think, going to be key. And the truth of the matter is, I feel better than I have in years.
  • weeziebeth
    lenac87 wrote: »
    I need to take your advice! I had my 4 weeks appointment today and they said I am doing great, was hoping I could be advanced to soft foods, but they said not yet :( I've already been on purees for two weeks but they require 4 weeks, I am traveling next week and it would have been so much easier not to have to travel with my blender! lol but I am thankful for this journey and am happy with my success so far, so I guess I need to "quit my gritchin" too lol

That's soooo hard! Keep pushing forward and just know that very quickly after you are able to advance your diet pureeds will be but a distant memory.
  • weeziebeth
    garber6th wrote: »
    If only there was one way and one way only of doing this, it would probably be easier on everyone! I think your doctor is right, and you have the right attitude. Do the right things, and this will work. You are doing great!

You know, I tell patient's families every day that patients don't read the text books and therefore don't follow our proscribed courses for their various illnesses. Pretty much the same thing for us…wonder why I didn't get that sooner!
  • weeziebeth
    janet0513 wrote: »
    Good for him. You have done fantastic. Keep it up. Sometimes the more we stress over losing the less we lose. It will come off and some of us are a little slower at losing, but that isn't a bad thing. I am 4 weeks out and only lost 15 since surgery. I lost a lot before surgery and I am ok with it. It is a long process and I am feeling great. We need to be patient (this is not my strong area at all!)

Absolutely good for him. One of the things I love about him (and practice in general) is their ability to just be real. If you figure out that patience thing, will you clue me in?

Strong work on your post operative progress and glad you are feeling so good!
  • funfatfriend
    funfatfriend Posts: 57 Member

Strong work! Doesn't if feel good!?!

[/quote]

It does!! Although went back to bootcamp, so the feel good part is more more like OMG OUCH!!! LOL :D