self-conscious at the pool

Options
Hi everyone

I'm so glad I found this support group. I've gotten some really encouraging comments already.

What I haven't talked about in my other posts is how self-conscious I am at the pool. I'm a weak swimmer (now) but that doesn't worry me because I'm pretty confident I can learn to swim well. I LOVE the water and feel comfortable being in it, under it--just not around it, as in, getting into the pool etc. I feel like everyone's watching me.

I don't have that issue at the gym because I'm not half naked, and I truly admire and envy people (especially people like me who are trying to lose weight) who strut their stuff at the pool.

Have you ever been self-conscious about being seen at the pool, and, if so, how did you get over it?

Thanks

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Everyone is at the pool for a little recreation/exercise or social outing with their kids. Really I only notice the people who are swimming in the same lane as me and then its to keep track of where they are and not swim over them or be a lane blocker. Relax - take some swim/stroke improvement lessons and enjoy the outing.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    When as a fat woman in my mid-thirties (this was some time ago) I was swimming in the same pool as college athletes, yes, a little. But only a little because I was killing myself trying to keep UP and it destroyed any real worries about my shape.

Now? Oh God, no. I swim really early in the morning with the "I have no body modesty" exercise crowd. Showers are full of all sorts of nekkid body types and a bathing suit starts to feel positively modest.
  • newoutlook2014
    newoutlook2014 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    :) Thanks guys. I've just gone out and bought a new swimsuit... I'm ready... ;)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's a pool.

Everyone is running around in shiny lycra with condoms on their heads. And goggles. Nobody looks cool in goggles.

I admit to wearing super-flashy swimsuit prints with caps that clash wildly. That way I'm the "lady with the lion suit," full stop. (Or the lady whose head ate Chernobyl. Your choice.)
  • newoutlook2014
    Options
    It's a pool.

Everyone is running around in shiny lycra with condoms on their heads. And goggles. Nobody looks cool in goggles.

I admit to wearing super-flashy swimsuit prints with caps that clash wildly. That way I'm the "lady with the lion suit," full stop. (Or the lady whose head ate Chernobyl. Your choice.)

haha... I like your attitude!

well, I wore my new swimsuit to the pool tonight and survived! actually, I bought two more swimsuits cos they were on sale, and one is a smaller size ;)
  • debbiesats
    debbiesats Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Well done and happy new suits!
    One other thing to consider - half the people in there probably can't even see you that well if they're not swimming in their glasses
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    newoutlook, at 51 years old & as a lifelong swimmer I can tell you that the people at the pool are concentrating on their own workout. Some are concentrating on their technique, some on their speed & the vast majority n just getting through their workout. Jump in, do whatever kind of workout suits you & (most importantly) HAVE FUN while you get your work in......
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    @macstraw is wise. I think we should all follow his advice.
  • newoutlook2014
    Options

agreed :)
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options

agreed :)

Agreed :smile:
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    My pool anxiety goes back some years when I would feel panic on the school bus to swimming class and being in the water where I was bullied by kids and the teachers who took us.
    Now, I am aware that I feel the same panic both thinking about going and then when I get there, if the pool has a number of swimmers who are in my lane and impatient because I am slow. Either of these times can get me into the place where I decide not to go and then regret it if I don't.
    Knowing this happens in my mind and recently getting some coaching to improve strokes is helping me to get over this.
    I think this is part of the reason I feel more at home in open water - plenty of space; I can swim at my own pace.
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What Macstraw said -- the people who are working out are focused on themselves. The ones who are just having fun are focusing on themselves. Anybody who's not very adept in the water is focusing on not drowning. No one will pay any attention to you.
  • yogicarl
    Options
    Went for a lunchtime swim today and did 32 lengths. No panic. The trick was to have a light energy bar and cup of tea 30 minutes before and to nip round to the pool as soon as I left work rather than doing something else first. Negative thoughts didn't get a chance to seep in that way.
    It feels good to be in control again.
  • newoutlook2014
    Options
    yogicarl wrote: »
    Went for a lunchtime swim today and did 32 lengths. No panic. The trick was to have a light energy bar and cup of tea 30 minutes before and to nip round to the pool as soon as I left work rather than doing something else first. Negative thoughts didn't get a chance to seep in that way.
    It feels good to be in control again.

:D yes! keep up the great work!

• yogicarl
    Options
    thank you - will do! :)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My wife uses these items from Amazon. Both for cover and staying warm in the pool.
    Long sleeve shirt.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MCJGXE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Neoprene wet suit shorts.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YJ6BDU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can also search Swim shirts, or rash guard shirts.
    Much better for swimming than using a cotton t-shirt to cover up. And better for hydrodynamics.

• newoutlook2014
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    My wife uses these items from Amazon. Both for cover and staying warm in the pool.
    Long sleeve shirt.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MCJGXE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Neoprene wet suit shorts.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YJ6BDU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can also search Swim shirts, or rash guard shirts.
    Much better for swimming than using a cotton t-shirt to cover up. And better for hydrodynamics.

yes, I have a couple rash shirts and shorts as well as some swimsuits. good to have options