new: day 1

Options
Equus3nMom
Equus3nMom Posts: 42 Member
Hi,

I'm new and probably going about this wrong. Just been reading bits and pieces on the web and jumped in today.

I'm at 795 calories - mostly because I forgot husband unit had planned an afternoon museum trip with dinner. I found a 450 calorie dish and ate it all.

Tell me thats still a good start! :-)

I have Michael Mosely's book on my Kindle and am on chapter one. Other books to recommend? I do best when I feed my brain with the science to keep memotivated.

And feel free to add me as a friend. Would like support from others doing this.

Thanks for any tips and encouragement.

Replies

• debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    It's a great start. I would read the pinned post regarding the Michael Mosely documentary and also watch the documentary. Also this group is very positive and I'm sure you'll find great help and advice.

The one tip I would give anyone starting 5:2 would be to plan your fast days. When you're having them, what you're going to eat and make sure to drink plenty of water.

Good luck :D
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @Equus3nmom~

First of all...welcome. As @debbie389 said this is a great group. Definitely plan fast days, but 5:2 is incredibly flexible, so you can do what works for you. And yes you have made a great start and fast days will get easier. I find fast days easier when I save my calories until dinner with tea or coffee during the day. But like I said before, you make this work for you.

Oh and check out our weekly thread. It's a great place to share your achievements, struggles or just a place to vent. :)
  • Equus3nMom
    Equus3nMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I almost finished the book last night, but I'll look at the documentary too!

I actually wasn't even hungry this morning so I had a very fast friendly breakfast and organized a dinner for tonight. So going to extend it into today so My husband thinks he might do this too.

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the group, Equus! Definitely a good start!

Nice horse too! I'm a rider myself (not professionaly though). Rode western as a child and had an gaited icelandic horse for 20yrs and now I'm riding a trotter (sold off the race track), as I had to put mine to sleep last spring. Two totally different worlds, but both are awesome. Learning sooo much on this huge (for me) high energy horse!

Will enjoy getting to know you!
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have been lurking sometime in this group, but wanted to share a bit with you. I did as you, began reading about 5:2 in the middle of the day and had a similar calorie count on my first of fast days. I agree with the other posters about planning your fast days beforehand. I haven't been doing 5:2 long but currently enjoy my fast day calories being 250 for breakfast and lunch, leaving another 250 for dinner.
    I have been quite surprised by how easy the 500 days are. I sip on coffee during the AM and green tea during the evening, ensuring of course that I am drinking ample amounts of water throughout the day.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I posted a new discussion for food ideas that are just foods with recipes to use as a data base. Take a look and share your own VLC food ideas.
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi there. we seem to be starting on the same week - so we'll be there to cheer each other! I started with a fast on Monday and it was fine - big bowl of soup in the evening. Yesterday was normal, and then fasting again today. I liked that I turned a biscuit down thinking 'I can have it tomorrow' Interestingly, I wasn't that hungry yesterday. Early days, but I do find this very strange and fascinating science.
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I was planning on soup last evening so my husband made grilled cheese to go along with it. I saved mine for breakfast today. Sometimes you just have to be flexible.