help with figuring home made meals calories

Options
So tonight I'm making meatloaf with carrots potatoes and onions. How do I figure the calories for 1 serving? Do I scan all the ingredients then break it down? This is sooo hard!!!

Replies

• skylarjd
    skylarjd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I usually enter in all the ingredients and based on how many calories the meal is as a whole then I figure out what one serving is, and try to divide the meal up based on that. It's not exactly perfect but I try to be as close as possible. Now that's just how I do it, idk about other people but I'm interested to see if anyone has other ideas!
  • stegertees
    Options
    That's what I ended up doing
    I came up with 815 calories for a serving of meatloaf with carrots, potatoes, and onions as sides. I think that sounds about right.
  • imaginaryannie
    imaginaryannie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There's an option to input all the ingredients and save the recipe so you can enter it again when you make it again. I can't remember exactly where I found it, but I just did it with a soup I made.
  • skylarjd
    skylarjd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's what I use the "add recipe" option.
  • PurrlyGirl
    PurrlyGirl Posts: 59 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Like it's been mentioned, the add recipe feature is wonderful for that. Sometimes I have to guess because I sort of wing it a little, but years of baking have made me really good at estimating so I imagine I'm not too far off. And always: When in doubt, round up!
  • RainSerana
    RainSerana Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Do spices really count for much? I kind of just add until it tastes good to me.
  • schaele
    schaele Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Spices aren't that many calories, but if you're using something premade like a McCormick's seasoning you might log it because those are high in sodium. I watch my sodium levels like a hawk because of bloating.
  • notmymonkeys
    notmymonkeys Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you have a kitchen scale? We got one (just a cheapo one) and it makes this stuff so much easier. Most things that we make, we enter in all the ingredients then weigh the whole thing, say it's 1000 grams, and serves about 4, then you weigh out a 250 portion each time you eat it.
  • RainSerana
    RainSerana Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just got a kitchen scale. It's great; I was way off on my estimation for how much chicken I used in a recipe last night. Got to weigh it before it went into the skillet. I overestimated by half a pound!