Helpppppp coffee lover

Options
Lei9785gha
Lei9785gha Posts: 73 Member
day two and I've noticed that coffee creamer and Splenda is a major carb count buster. I have 1-2 cups of coffee on the weekdays. I love Splenda and powdered creamer! Any suggestions on Good Substitutes less to no carbs?

Day two 33 carbs trying hard to understand how to meet the Atkins induction 20 net carb limit. Making coffee this way continuously won't cut it.

Help this newbie out?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Heavy whipping cream instead of coffee creamer only 0.44g per TBS... which is not much... I once ate a whole cup of heavy cream for dinner (800 calories... not recommended)
    Torani sugar free syrups (no carbs, unlike the powdered sweeteners... plus lots of flavors)

If you have two cups... you're looking a 1-2 grams of carbs depending on how light you want it.
  • Lei9785gha
    Options
    Awesome recommendation. I will definitely pick up these items asap.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I agree I could not make it without my coffee. First cup is black because of med I have to take but the second cup is heaven with cream and some times Hazelnut Torani sugar free, I only use a light capful of it in my cup along with the heavy whipping cream. Yum
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    What sweetener is in Torani? I think I need to avoid sugar alcohols.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    It is sweetened with Splenda.
  • sun_shine765
    sun_shine765 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Or you could just bite the bullet and go no sweetner, but yes to cream! After a while your taste buds will acclimate to the taste, and anytime someone puts sweetner in you coffee, it will totally gross you out. And the bonus is that you will get used to the taste of the cream and it will eventually taste sweeter to you. If you want to "step" down, go less and less on the splenda until you don't use it at all.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Personally, I am all over the range when it comes to coffee. The vast majority I drink is unsweetened black. I will sometimes have coffee with just butter, or butter and Torani, or just cream, or cream and Torani. I do think there's benefit to drinking it with just cream or black unsweetened. It means you'll always have options, even when out, and it also reduces the desire for sweet things.

But, once in a while, a little sweetness might help reduce other cravings.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    BPC (bullet proof coffee): 1 tbs butter 1 tbs coconut oil or mtc oil 1 tbs heavy cream
    So. Much. Goodness. And keeps you satisfied for a LONG time. I've had it at 7:00 and lasted till 2:00 and still not that hungry.
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use liquid stevia drops for a sweetener - a little goes a long way - and yes, HWC is your friend. ;)
  • rdonald57
    rdonald57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I second on the stevia
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I too travel the map with coffee. Right now i'm on a black, no sweetener with coconut oil blended in for my first cup....then black for my 2nd before work. If I drink the swill they make at the office, I lighten it, so it doesn't curdle my insides.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I use Mini-Moo's, 10 calories, zero carbs. And Splenda.
  • Lei9785gha
    Options
    Or you could just bite the bullet and go no sweetner, but yes to cream! After a while your taste buds will acclimate to the taste, and anytime someone puts sweetner in you coffee, it will totally gross you out. And the bonus is that you will get used to the taste of the cream and it will eventually taste sweeter to you. If you want to "step" down, go less and less on the splenda until you don't use it at all.

I may try this thx!
  • Lei9785gha
    Options
    frob23 wrote: »
    Personally, I am all over the range when it comes to coffee. The vast majority I drink is unsweetened black. I will sometimes have coffee with just butter, or butter and Torani, or just cream, or cream and Torani. I do think there's benefit to drinking it with just cream or black unsweetened. It means you'll always have options, even when out, and it also reduces the desire for sweet things.

Butter?
  • Lei9785gha
    Options
    sshepro wrote: »
    BPC (bullet proof coffee): 1 tbs butter 1 tbs coconut oil or mtc oil 1 tbs heavy cream
    So. Much. Goodness. And keeps you satisfied for a LONG time. I've had it at 7:00 and lasted till 2:00 and still not that hungry.

I've never heard of butter in coffee that's interesting...hummm
  • Lei9785gha
    Options
    I took ur advice. So I stopped to shop before work today and got the vanilla torani and used two small coffee mate cups original creamer. I'm slowly changing. The torani was ok. I have to get used to not have the powdered creamer. I used a lot.
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Definitely learn to love it black. You can't guarantee that friends or restaurants are using heavy cream for their coffees. Most use 10 - 18% cream which makes those carbs add up. Or try bulletproof coffee. The key to low carb coffee is re-learning to love coffee without the sweetener added
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Lei9785gha wrote: »
    frob23 wrote: »

Butter?

Bulletproof coffee is amazing! 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp coconut oil or mct oil, blend with a frother or stick blender and enjoy! Dave Asprey is the "inventor" over at his site BulletproofExec

• FIT_Goat
    Options
    Lei9785gha wrote: »
    Butter?

Yeah. Just butter is something I do different than most. Other people use coconut oil or MCT oil along with the butter. I have coconut oil, if I wanted it, but I generally avoid all plant sources of calories (of which coconut oil would count). There's no good reason to exclude it, except I am a hard-liner when I get an idea in my head.

Butter is a temperamental ingredient, cream is so much easier. Butter needs to be blended or whipped into the coffee, if you don't want an oil slick on top of it. The taste is slightly different, but not very much so. The main "benefit" is that it has no carbs, (< 0.009g per TBS). I don't recommend it, unless you're just interested in trying it. Honestly, the 0.43g of carbs in a TBS of heavy cream isn't likely the tipping point for anyone. It's not bad, it just adds hassle in the morning. And who needs hassle in the morning?
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I drank my coffee double strength with half a cup of hot milk and 2 heaped teaspoons of sugar. When I went low carb I went cold turkey and drank only tea and didn't really miss my morning coffee/sugar hit. ;)

Six weeks later I thought I'd have a coffee. Instead of half a cup of milk I used about a tablespoon of cream stirred into the coffee. I couldn't get used to sweetener so I now have a very flat spoon of sugar and 1 tsp of Natvia. I aim to eventually cut out the sugar and hopefully the sweetener as well.

Try a few different options and see which one suits you.