Options

Replies

• clathrop17
    clathrop17 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    beachbum13 wrote: »
    clathrop17 wrote: »
    12dream wrote: »
    Also wanting to purchase Fitbit Charge HR... so far not available yet! Is that right? Has anyone got one yet?

I bought mine from Fitbit.com it came in the mail yesterday :)

How long did it take to arrive? has backorder indicated on web.

I ordered it 1/6 (I signed up on fitbit.com to be notified when it came out and then ordered it as soon as I got that notification). It shipped 1/8. It arrived 1/10
  • clathrop17
    clathrop17 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    scrapjen wrote: »
    I just wonder how accurate the heart rate monitoring would be at the wrist. I have a Polar FT4 with a chest strap and often wonder about its accuracy! During Zumba today I watched it drop to zero, then jump to 150, then down to 115 ... I like the feedback but it's SO frustrating sometimes, and Polar is a top name in HRMs. I have also heard that most monitors are for "steady state cardio" on their calorie estimates (so not for weight lifting). I'll be interested in hearing the reviews as more people wear it. Right now I'll stick with my One and try to get the batteries replaced in my Polar HRM and see if that helps...

I have the same problem with my Polar FT4!! It used to be accurate but then started giving me really high readings and then drop to 0. I replaced the batteries and it didn't help. I also have a VS sports bra that has a HR strap built in so you only have to snap on the little clip, and that didn't make a difference either. So I gave up on Polar and got the fitbit Charge HR.

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    beachbum13 wrote: »
    The plum looks soo nice, but i couldnt wait and went with basic black :|

I couldn't wait either. I washed my One on New Year's Eve and was going through FitBit withdrawl! My black Charge HR should arrive today. In the meantime, my One came back to life on Saturday after being dead for 10 days. (So, if that happens to someone else, put it in rice and be patient.)

I may have found a way that I can get a plum Charge HR without spending an extra $150. My son wants one eventually, but isn't in a hurry and it looks like his wrist may not be too big for a Large (he has big hands, so I was surprised his wrists aren't that big). So, once I confirm that my black will fit him, I'll order a plum and he'll buy my black one from me once it comes.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    For those with HRM straps, but this would not apply to the Fitbit's.

Dry winter air that has been heated, combined with polyester clothes rubbing - creates static.

Static interferes with reading the reversals in the electrical charge of the heart pumping.
    Usually results in elevated, either by a set amount (like 10 bpm), or it spikes up to nonsense number and holds, or finally drops.

Way to confirm - press shirt against the strap and see if HR drops instantly by some amount.

Static Guard spray can help greatly, as well as finally sweating enough.

For it just cutting out, sounds like signal was lost, so batteries on either side could be causing weak sending or receiving ability.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I ordered a plum in large on amazon. No time listed for date of delivery. Its still showing 8-10 weeks on fitbit.com . I ordered from amazon because the order can easily be cancelled if I happen to find one in the store. I've heard its difficult to cancel an order from fitbit.com. I hope it come quickly!
  • siddigi3
    Options
    hasto183 wrote: »
    G'day,
    I am looking at the Fitbit Charge HR as my next tracker but I am being a little put off by the 1 ATM ability. Does anyone know if you have to be super protective of the device, and how much water is too much before it gets killed off, meaning, will showering with it on be detrimental or okay. I really want a tracker that'll negate the need for a HR Strap.

Cheers and thanks in advance

Gav

• carolcat8
    Options
    Got the notification that it was available on Jan. 6, ordered it within a day or so after that, and it arrived today! I thought it would take much longer so I am thrilled. It's my first tracker and I just set it up tonight, so tomorrow I will start using it. I am glad to have this group to help me through what are sure to be some confusing moments for me. :-)
  • fizzleh
    fizzleh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I didn't get a notification even though I signed up for one with different emails but still got nothing.

Ordered mine yesterday but there seems to be a backlog of orders now as it states it ships in 1-2 weeks :neutral_face:
  • dontsweat
    dontsweat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't waste money on the HR or the surge. The technology just isn't there yet for accurate heart rates via the wrist. If you're dead set on a HRM then get a Bluetooth chest strap and sync it to one of the many apps available in order to get an accurate reading.
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Just ordered mine from Amazon - should be here tomorrow. I hope the heart rate monitoring is accurate; for $20 extra vs. the regular Charge, I'm willing to risk it. Really I'm mostly excited that it'll actually display the time of day on my wrist - that's the kind of revolutionary thinking that's contributed so much to Fitbit's success.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    The right side is from my Vivofit w/ HRM strap and the left is with my Charge HR. Clearly there is a disconnect. I know the vivofit is more accurate bc this was a hard cardio workout (it was an Insanity Max 30 workout). I'm going to give the Charge HR a few more tries and if I can't get it to give me an accurate reading while working out, I'm going to return it. The Charge HR gives a fine reading while I'm not doing anything, but it struggles while I'm working out.

w6fnxa46axdi.jpg
  • salparadise13
    salparadise13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've had a Charge HR since Monday and I'm very impressed. HRM seems to be very accurate during normal daily use and pretty darn accurate when working out. I'd definitely suggest wearing it at least 2-3 fingers width up your wrist when working out. I've only used it running on a treadmill and using an elliptical, and I'm sure that doing a workout that involves much more movement would hinder the accuracy of the HRM, but probably not substantially and there are no large drops in heart rate on any of my graphs. If it has a 10% margin for error during those types of workouts, that's good enough for me. The fitbit's calorie burn is actually lower than that of the elliptical when I'm using the machines heart rate monitor which is likely because the machine doesn't know my height, weight, age, etc. Love it and would recommend to anyone.
  • Grumpy_Marmot
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    The right side is from my Vivofit w/ HRM strap and the left is with my Charge HR. Clearly there is a disconnect. I know the vivofit is more accurate bc this was a hard cardio workout (it was an Insanity Max 30 workout). I'm going to give the Charge HR a few more tries and if I can't get it to give me an accurate reading while working out, I'm going to return it. The Charge HR gives a fine reading while I'm not doing anything, but it struggles while I'm working out.

w6fnxa46axdi.jpg

Wrist based HR monitor is not going to compare with the chest strap for a workout, and insanity is a WORKOUT! It will however give you a more accurate calorie burn through a full day of activities. Sounds silly, but wear the Vivofit for insanity and then the Charge for the rest of the day? Yeah - as I write that I am shaking my head no...
  • Grumpy_Marmot
    Options
    I've had a Charge HR since Monday and I'm very impressed. HRM seems to be very accurate during normal daily use and pretty darn accurate when working out. I'd definitely suggest wearing it at least 2-3 fingers width up your wrist when working out. I've only used it running on a treadmill and using an elliptical, and I'm sure that doing a workout that involves much more movement would hinder the accuracy of the HRM, but probably not substantially and there are no large drops in heart rate on any of my graphs. If it has a 10% margin for error during those types of workouts, that's good enough for me. The fitbit's calorie burn is actually lower than that of the elliptical when I'm using the machines heart rate monitor which is likely because the machine doesn't know my height, weight, age, etc. Love it and would recommend to anyone.

I am curious as to what you are comparing it to for accuracy?
  • karen11g
    karen11g Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Started with my HR Tuesday & this morning used it for the first time in spin class. Positioned it three finger lengths above my wrist, as advised, and snug, not tight. (Couldn't wear it looser - it would slip down during exercise.) Checked it five times during the 45-minutes class. Twice, it could not get a reading; twice, it read just above RHR when my HR was definitely significantly above that; only once gave what was probably an accurate reading. As a result, says I burned 130 calories during a pretty intense cardio workout. Next time will wear it closer to my wrist, but pretty discouraged. Has anyone read whether sweat can interfere with the reading? (That wouldn't make much sense.)
  • Nayners21
    Nayners21 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    dontsweat wrote: »
    I wouldn't waste money on the HR or the surge. The technology just isn't there yet for accurate heart rates via the wrist. If you're dead set on a HRM then get a Bluetooth chest strap and sync it to one of the many apps available in order to get an accurate reading.

Where can we find these? WHat are the names of brands?
  • Nayners21
    Nayners21 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    scrapjen wrote: »
    I just wonder how accurate the heart rate monitoring would be at the wrist. I have a Polar FT4 with a chest strap and often wonder about its accuracy! During Zumba today I watched it drop to zero, then jump to 150, then down to 115 ... I like the feedback but it's SO frustrating sometimes, and Polar is a top name in HRMs. I have also heard that most monitors are for "steady state cardio" on their calorie estimates (so not for weight lifting). I'll be interested in hearing the reviews as more people wear it. Right now I'll stick with my One and try to get the batteries replaced in my Polar HRM and see if that helps...

I was thinking about getting the polar fit instead of the Charge HR for the reason of the chest strap. I think it would be hard to get your accurate HR off the wrist, especially if its not worn tight enough to feel it. I'm leaning towards the Polar fit.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

w6fnxa46axdi.jpg

Wrist based HR monitor is not going to compare with the chest strap for a workout, and insanity is a WORKOUT! It will however give you a more accurate calorie burn through a full day of activities. Sounds silly, but wear the Vivofit for insanity and then the Charge for the rest of the day? Yeah - as I write that I am shaking my head no...

Yeah. I'm going to do another attempt tomorrow with another Insanity workout, but I'm going to try to wear it higher up my wrist to see how it compares to my vivofit. I was hoping that the HR would be a good fit, b/c there are times with the garmin tech drives me a little batty.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I have the polar with chest strap, and I'm very happy with it for counting the calories burned when running, doing spin etc. I'm getting the FitBit Charge HR for all the other features above and beyond this.
  • Claire8614
    Claire8614 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Do you think the charge hr is worth the money and how does it work well when doing none step related exercise?