Tracking calorie intake or not?

Options
hipsdontlie1
hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
Hi ladies,
I was just curious as to what kind of daily calorie goal your aiming for while your pregnant if any? or are you not aiming for a specific number? I was just curious as I haven't been tracking, I've just been trying to eat healthy and eating when I'm hungry. I'm about 24 weeks along and I've gained about 20lb. I think this is a pretty appropriate gain for where I am at but I'd love to know what everyone else thinks. Thanks!

Replies

• xmusic_lover211
    xmusic_lover211 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i'm tracking my calories, but i'm also trying to not gain a whole lot. So far i've gained about 7 lbs at 18 1/2 weeks. But I started very overweight (i wasn't on MFP for very long before I got pregnant) so the doctors are all telling me to limit my weight gain as much as possible. So I switched my calories to maintenance and am eating when i'm hungry and trying to eat as healthy as possible. Some days I go over, but i'm legitimately hungry when I do so I don't stress about it. I think you're doing good too :smile:
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 weeks and just under a 20 pound gain, so I think you're on track. I have been tracking my calories recently (after the holidays were over ;) ) and have them set to maintenance. I do the same though, I use the calorie tracker to make sure I know how nutrient dense my food is, not so much to track my calories. I tend to eat a lot of the wrong stuff so I am hoping the logging will help with that. I feel guilty logging 2 doughnuts in my food log no matter how much I really wanted them, so that is helping. Otherwise, I have been trying to eat healthy and whenever I am hungry.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    My 'goal' is set to 2000 calories. I sometimes eat over/under that... just depends. I log everyday though.

My peak weight gain was 26.8 lbs, but I've been losing weight this past week and I'm down to 23.4 lbs as of today (39w2d).

Logging has definitely helped me maintain a healthy gain :)
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I track, just because otherwise I'd probably eat way too many carbs, and not enough protein. I was advised to gain between 25 and 35 pounds by my doctor, given my pre-pregnancy gain... Currently, my doctor says I'm on the right track to gain about 30 pounds.

I don't worry if I go over, and I'll eat if I am hungry. Like Ischmelle, I feel guilty if I log to much 'bad' food so logging helps as well ;)

There are some days where I won't log, just because I'm eating out, or having a family dinner or etc. I don't worry too much about it. I gained 14.5 pounds so far and I'm at 26 weeks. I might actually increase my intake a little.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm tracking daily to keep my weight gain under control. I have my calories set to 2300, which I think is actually slightly below my maintenance calories. Sometimes I go over, sometimes I'm under, but I just try to make my calorie goal for the week. I'm only 11.5 weeks so I'm still trying not to gain at this point. Once I hit about 15 weeks, I plan to bump myself up to gaining 0.5lb/week, or 250 extra calories per day.
  • teresand77
    teresand77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm going to keep tracking just because it kind of opens my eyes. The other day I really wanted a Reese's peanut butter cup and normally would have eaten about six (the small ones) until I put it in MFP and decided to only have three :smile: And at night when I'm eating just to eat before bed, it makes me think before I grab something when I'm not necessarily hungry. I don't deprive myself at all though but just try to pay attention a little. I've gained 20 so far (at 32 weeks) and am on track to gain about 28-30 which is exactly where I wanted to be since my dr wanted me to gain 25-35

I set my calories to maintenance and then usually eat back my exercise calories (which I don't do if I'm not pregnant). I teach spin classes so that can be a pretty significant calorie burn!
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    34 weeks and 17 pound gain so far. Ive been logging and have my calories set to 1700.
  • hmerickson
    hmerickson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am tracking, but have my settings for .5lb gain per week. I don't normally eat back the calories I burn from exercising, simply because I'm not hungry enough to eat more. I like tracking to make sure that I'm not eating far more than I think I am, but also because I like to try to keep my macronutrients at a 40-30-30 ratio.
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for all your responses. I'm probably eating around the same as most of you, 2000 calories give or take a few hundred depending on the day. I felt like 20lb was a higher gain than normal for 24 weeks but I suppose it depends on the woman! I guess I can look at it as I have 16 weeks to go, a pound per week will put be around a 36 pound gain so that wouldn't be a bad gain! :) Thanks again
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I set my calorie goal to maintenance (1700) but some days I go over and some days I go under. I eat if I'm hungry and not if I don't. I'm not so worried about the count as making sure I hit my macro goals. I started very fit and haven't gained much, most of which I attribute to not being able to eat much or keep much down until about week 15. Then a week ago I caught a very nasty cold and haven't felt much like eating. Plus all the heartburn and indigestion and I get full really quickly. I'm 19 weeks today and have gained about 6 lbs (plus or minus a few, depending on the day). But hey - everyone is different!
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I had my calories set to maintenance. I ate when hungry and listened to my body. Sometimes I would go over calories and sometimes I would be under. My due date is tomorrow and my weight gain so far is 25lbs. I'm happy with that.
  • gigigee
    gigigee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have not tracked my calories on this pregnancy, but I do try to exercise 5x/week. I have done the best on weight gain this time around (am up 20lbs and due next week). My first pregnancy I gained 30lbs, and 25lbs on the 2nd. My biggest weakness is sweets (I wish I could be better about this!), but mostly I just try to eat healthily and listen to my body and it's really OK!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm 31 weeks and I've gained 42 lbs.
    I had to start logging again to keep myself accountable. Either I wouldn't eat enough, or way too much.
    Since I started back, the gain has slowed down a bit.