Looking for like-minded people to be friends

Options
Mozzie610
Mozzie610 Posts: 16 Member
Hello All,

I am 28 and I live in Seattle. I have been gaining weight ever since I started my desk job a year ago (I was in retail before that). I have watched the numbers go up until about last month when my scale stopped giving me a number. My scale only goes up to 350, so all I know is that at this point, I am over that.

I have started and stopped so many times with trying to lose weight. I have struggled with self image issues my entire life and has always seen my weight as a reason to hate myself. Because of this, I never really believed I could lose weight and be happy. I have been in therapy and worked on loving myself more. I also have a loving, supportive fiance who has really helped me see that I deserve to be loved.

This time around, I am not seeing weight loss as a thing that proves I am a success of a person or not. I am looking at this as it being a commitment to a healthy lifestyle. I am choosing to see it like this because I have something to compare it to. Because I have committed to my fiance, I choose to not blow up on him in fights, even when I really want to because I know that it will effect our long term relationship. I see my relationship with food the same way. I may really want that piece of cake right now, but in long run, it just isn't worth it. It also helps to see it this way because if I do mess up, I can see a change in my life and not binge and hate myself for weeks afterwards.

I am sharing this with all of you so that I might find some like-minded people would like to add me as friends. I do much better when I have people encouraging me and when I have people to encourage. :) If you would like to add me, please do so.

It's nice to meet you all :)

Replies

• Ceratopsy
    Ceratopsy Posts: 2,100 Member
    Options
    HI Mozzie610! I sent you a request. I started in a similar situation. My highest weight was 370, I dropped a lot pretty fast then gained most of it back, then started again last June at 340. My biggest problem all the times I tried before was that I was doing it for the "wrong reasons" It wasn't until I started caring about myself and taking care of myself that it started to click. It seems like you have a good mindset happening now. Glad to have you here!
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose the weight. If I can do it anyone can. My first post ever was in this forum -- very much like yours!
  • cassyombina1
    cassyombina1 Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi!! I sent you a request. I also have a desk job and work long hours. I have started and stopped, and tried different diets. This time I am taking it a day at a time!!
  • Oopcdaz
    Oopcdaz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know at one point I was over 400 :neutral_face: I can't tell you why... or exactly how much. The Dr.'s scale wouldn't even register. I am currently at about 330, but I have been holding kind of steady for a year. I can't seem to go anywhere. At first I was thrilled to be down and at least be able to see a number, but I want to keep going. I need to not get hung up every time I have a bad day!
  • tbuabin
    tbuabin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you too! I'm 25, always been fat but I could at least WA lk for 20+ minutes... But now I can't with out having to take a break or getting really tired.
    My weight now is 350+ and I have been that weight once before. but a year and a half ago I was celebrating being under 300 pounds.

So now I have to do it again and keep on going :) I will be adding you cuz I really like your attitude and views on food :)
  • katiekat2121
    katiekat2121 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Mozzie...very similar situation here. 35, 378, and I sit in an office 12hrs a day. Your post is so in line with my thinking. I am committed to changing my lifestyle. I have been walking everyday for this week and it's already easier to put on my shoes. I am so excited and I have found MFP to be such a positive environment. Many times I have tried to lose weight and failed. I feel like this going to be the successful journey. Another buddy to root for and lean on would be great.
  • ash_bly
    ash_bly Posts: 14
    Options
    Hey everyone! I am 25 CW 317 SW 338. I have lost 21 pounds so far and still trucking :) I have goal to complete a half marathon and I am in a running club that I love. I am the fattest and slowest lol, but the support and encouragement is amazing! I would love to be friends and help support. Feel free to add me!
  • Mini_Rif
    Mini_Rif Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi all....

I'm 34, SW 300 (the heaviest I've ever been and it scared the *kitten* out of me), CW 282, 1st GW is 200 (we'll go from there...).

I work at a desk (I'm a children's therapist and in the foster care/child welfare field) and I've just started walking at lunch and at least once in the morning and once in the afternoon to break up my day and get my steps in.

My husband and I have been trying to have a baby for over 2 years and my weight is *probably* the number one thing that is preventing us from conceiving naturally. We have unexplained infertility, but because I am obese, that is the one thing that is probably causing our heartbreak. I cannot move forward with more fertility treatments until my weight is under control. I have a family history of diabetes and obesity. My last blood work indicated a very high fasting blood sugar which really scared me and motivated me to work on "ME". So here I am.... researching, working hard, trying to change.

Add me if you find any of this interesting :)
  • KimPenuelas
    KimPenuelas Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been struggling all my life. I'm obsessed with fast food & snacking, and of course bad habits and no exercise. I'm 52 and just really want to get this weight off now.
  • Miss_Mania
    Miss_Mania Posts: 163 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi!!

I'm also 28 and I live in New Zealand. My SW was 368 lbs CW is 304 lbs. I have started and stopped just like you, over and over. This time though I've had the motivation to see it through. My father died of a heart attack when he was 35. So I've had to kick my own butt into gear to not suffer the same fate.
  • nassi1984
    nassi1984 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Add me :) I'm trying to get down from about 360lb and would love some buddies on the same journey xx
  • marjorieallred839
    marjorieallred839 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I will be 50 this year, I currently am 314 lbs but I started at 373. have been losing since Oct.(59 lbs so far). I work at a desk all day too but summer is almost here. Hoping to get out and garden, walk my pooch, that sort of thing. I have been doing Keto and cut out bread, pasta, etc. I would love to have some friends in the same boat to support and get support from.
  • yjenkins87
    Options
    Hi!

I started on MFP a few years ago, did really well and lost about 30 pounds before becoming unemployed. Long story short, I have also started and stopped. At a recent trip to the doctor, I realized that I had gained all 30 pounds back, and was working on a new "highest ever" weight. I'm also looking to find some friends here to help keep me motivated.
  • stitchfan626
    stitchfan626 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm going to add you, and please anyone feel free to add me! I recently weighed in at 320 and it seriously scared the crap outta me! I remember being 195 and telling myself I wouldn't let myself get above 200 and here I am a ways into the 3's. I desperately want to have another baby, I got down to 210 from 270 before I had my first baby, but now we want another one and I KNOW I need to get this weight under control!
  • jadedpanther
    jadedpanther Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm 31 and also do the desk job thing, as well as running a small event decor company. Long hours over a computer=bad eating choices, no exercise. I'm try to take responsibility by working out and staying within my calories. Any of you are welcome to add me as well!
  • Sjk255
    Sjk255 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm right there with you! I'm 46 and had to buy a new scale yesterday because my old one didn't go high enough. I'm 5' 11" and at 357lbs. I also work a desk job and have packed on the pounds over the last ten years. Before that I worked in manufacturing and was on my feet for 12 hour shifts, and while I've never been a thin person, I was at least fit and could shop in "regular" stores. I find that the sedentary work day leads right into sedentary evenings and weekends. I'm so glad spring is finally coming so I can get outside and work in my gardens! Anyone is welcome to add me too :)

• junosunderland
    junosunderland Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you had a similar awakening to me. I no longer see my journey as this dreaded thing with a set before and after. I realized this is how I want to live my life, taking care of myself. Good on you for getting started, hopefully we can motivate each other :)
  • CortanaChief
    CortanaChief Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi. I can relate to your situation as working in an office my weight crept up and without me realising just how much. Due to an accident 16 months ago I currently have a spinal injury which restricts my exercise to the point of just gentle walking. I didn't amend my eating habits to the situation and because of that and some emotional eating now I am at 301. Have been using MFP for about a month and my progress is slow but it is going in the right direction now and I'm setting small goals along the way so it doesn't feel quite so daunting. Feel free to add me (and that goes to anyone else who would like to add me too). :)