Depression, anxiety, and weight loss

Options
Momnoon1977
Momnoon1977 Posts: 31 Member
This is another hard one for me to write. Today is one of those days where depression threatens to take over any good intentions I had planned for the day. I have already cancelled the hair appointment for this morning and I am seriously fighting the desire to crawl back into bed and hide under the covers. My depression is without a doubt the number one reason I usually fail at a healthier lifestyle.

I am choosing to write these feelings instead of eating them for today. I know that I will have good days and bad days and I refuse to continue to let my depression and anxiety rule my life!

Replies

• lewshetland
    lewshetland Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What a brave post. I hope your day improved and writing is a tool that helps.
  • BeckyP_new_me
    BeckyP_new_me Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I know what that's like, & it sucks. It's hard to think about being healthy when u can't even think about how to get through the day. Writing instead of eating was a great first step. If you stayed out of bed, congratulations. If not, that's ok too. Just try again tomorrow. Hang in there? Girl!
  • Momnoon1977
    Options
    I am incredibly proud to say that I won this battle today. I allowed myself a 45 minute nap while my daughter was at Kindergarten, but that was it. I even went to my scheduled 1st appointment with a personal trainer!!
  • arosek719
    arosek719 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That is great! Friday was my anxiety day. It began Thursday night and just took me over. I skipped out on a networking meeting because it had me physically I'll, but wound up heading to a Zumba class for the first time and hitting the elliptical after. I worked toward no other goals, but at least was able to turn my mood around.
  • lindagrimm904
    lindagrimm904 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Linda, I'm highly depressed right now. Maybe if you take a small knap you would feel better. When I lay down I sleep for hours, so I usually have to set my alarm on my cell. I take 4 antidepressants. I'm still in tears. The bad thing is I don't know why! On top of that I'm a diabetic, that got myself off the meds. Praise the Lord! Yes I'm very religious! I hope you have a blessed evening! lyl! (means love you linda) :'(o:)
  • jadeamitchell
    jadeamitchell Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hang in there an be strong! i also know this feeling on a daily basis sending love and strength :)
  • Kass0708
    Kass0708 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey Momnoon1977, hang in there. I have anxiety, depression, and OCD and I feel I am doing good. It took me a while to get where I am but it is possible and I just wanted to let you know. Now I don't know your situation, but just take it day by day. Sometimes I have bad days as well. Sometimes my anxiety gets so bad that I can't go to the gym because I am afraid of people, and sometimes my anxiety prevents me from even ordering pizza. I just make sure the next day I just shake it off and tell myself it's okay to have a day now and then. If you need any support or advice just send me a message. Good luck hun
  • kermie765
    kermie765 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think I found my niche ladies! I have the same issues. I take prescribed medicines to keep my anxiety in check. Otherwise I wouldn't even be able to work. Do any of you take medications? They aren't perfect but they can take the edge off.
    48801 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    kermie765 wrote: »
    I think I found my niche ladies! I have the same issues. I take prescribed medicines to keep my anxiety in check. Otherwise I wouldn't even be able to work. Do any of you take medications? They aren't perfect but they can take the edge off.

Agree. I think of meds as being a tool. They won't do all the work, but the right med for you, can lift you enough to want to make things better.
  • nreynolds5092
    Options
    Wow! What a great group of ladies. I'm so impressed by those of you who managed to get some exercise while feeling so depressed. Great first step to taking some control. Now, do it again tomorrow, even if it is just a walk around the block. Battling depression and anxiety very much means taking one day at a time, and following yesterday's good deed with one more good deed today.

I think my depression and anxiety are mostly under control, although it is taking meds, the right amount of exercise, and the right amount of sleep, as well as CBT. I still feel like I don't quite fit in at work, after all of this and 17 years with this organization, but that's the only residual effect. So take heart! You are taking the right steps. Do it again tomorrow. Don't even think about next week, just the day you are in.
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Sleep and food are my preferred ways of coping (or not) with feelings that I don't know how to deal with, and like linda I don't know why I feel like I do. But good food (clean food seems to be the latest thing) and exercise is what makes me feel better. I spent 14years on meds but have been off them a while now, I have anxiety in large groups but it seems safe here :-D
  • Carey125
    Carey125 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I suffer from some of the same problems!!! so glad i am not the only one. For years, I have felt alone in this battle to loose weight. I suffer from depression and I have for quiet some time now at my heaviest I weighed 315-Ish . last week I am proud to say i weighed in at 291! Depression, anxiety and other mental disorders are the monsters you see in your nightmares (some times while awake) I am so thrilled to see there is hope and a whole community I can turn to.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression since I was a little girl. I don't know what causes it, but I've come to believe it's something that I just have to live with. I have also dealt with anxiety, which mostly seems to be caused by the depression.
    I've been on medication for a few years. After having tried a few different types, I've settled on one kind that works for me.
    It's great knowing that I'm not the only one who struggles with these issues. Happy to accept friend requests from any of you who are going through the same things.
  • Momnoon1977
    Options
    I also on Meds for the anxiety. I have definitely found that eating better and exercising had really helped. It amazes me how many people struggle with this as well. It feels very lonely when you are in the middle of an anxiety attack or a depressive episode.
  • arosek719
    arosek719 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have found nothing better for treating my depression than exercise and getting some sun. But it feels impossible to get out of the bed..or pantry some days. We can and will all over come this. We may lose a few battles on the way, but we'll reach our goals!
  • Kass0708
    Kass0708 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Something that I always have to remind myself is yes I have bad days with my disorders but I let the day happen and then the next day forget about it and just keep going. It's the only thing I can do. So remember, one bad day doesn't determine you overall goal and it doesn't determine whether or not you will succeed, because that one day believe it or not will be a reason you do succeed. :wink:
  • djhnd
    djhnd Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Anxiety and depression are SO common. You definitely are not alone. And what works for one person doesn't work for another, which can seem discouraging - but we're all quite unique.
  • brattyally82
    brattyally82 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where a lot of you ladies are coming from! As a generally bubbly, outgoing and happy person, it tends to shock people when they find out I've battled with depression for about 16 years now (I'm 32.) Last year alone I gained almost 40 lbs, putting me at my highest weight ever of 238.

I've recently been put back on medication and am trying to move forward towards a physically and psychologically healthy lifestyle. It's easy for other people to just quit eating certain things or to not binge eat altogether...it's not so easy for me. Food makes me feel better (and unfortunately, it's never healthy food that fills that psychological void!) I still have days where getting up and showering or answering my cellphone seem like huge accomplishments.

I welcome anyone who wants an extra friend on MFP to help support and motivate when needed! It would be nice to have some others who understand my situation beyond weight loss. :smile:
  • nightglo
    nightglo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that it helped me a lot to read that others are going through the same things - too depressed to stay up, too anxious to leave the house or try and talk to people, feeling so overwhelmed the last thing I want to care about is my caloric intake. Yet we are all still here fighting for out health. Thank you all.
  • nightglo
    nightglo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    our* not out