Why do I feel like a bottomless pit?!

Options
Never fails... I start working out and after a short time I get these days where I want to just eat... ALL DAY! And I KNOW that if I'm going to eat a lot, it should be good foods. But what goes in my mouth?? Cookies, white cheddar popcorn... And more cookies. So then I try to "fix" it by eating healthy stuff too. And there probably shouldn't be cookies in the house. But try telling that to my two ravenous skinny teenagers! Suggestions??

Replies

• Soliasan
    Soliasan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You mentioned trying to "fix" things by eating healthier after the junk food. Eating the things you mentioned in moderation is OK as long as you fit them into your daily calorie goals/tracking. I hope you don't feel like you have to deprive yourself of those things because it just makes it harder to resist them.

Part of the reason why you feel hungry all day is due to those snacks not being very filling. Try buying some snacks for yourself that will fill you up. I personally like things like nuts, popcorn (non cheese kind ;) ), greek yogurt, hummus, fruit, an egg, or some salsa. If the craving is for something sweet a little bit of dark chocolate is good too.
  • AmandaStrickland1
    AmandaStrickland1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I know all this... that's why it's so frustrating! I even have other snacks I can grab. I guess because I try to go "all in" and try to eat perfect. That's not realistic and a set up for failure. Probably need to work on my willpower. Thanks for the suggestions :)
  • Soliasan
    Soliasan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm also a perfectionist. Probably why it took so long to start on this path to losing weight. ;) I don't think you have weak willpower. For me personally, it took awhile to change my outlook on the whole process.

I now know I don't have to be 100% accurate when recording calories or stay at or under goal everyday to see results. Allowing myself some leeway and looking at the bigger overall picture has helped. This is a part of a change in lifestyle and won't suddenly end after hitting the target weight goal. I guess this is a long way to say give yourself a break and don't beat up on yourself.
  • AmandaStrickland1
    Options
    Soliasan wrote: »
    I'm also a perfectionist. Probably why it took so long to start on this path to losing weight. ;) I don't think you have weak willpower. For me personally, it took awhile to change my outlook on the whole process.

I now know I don't have to be 100% accurate when recording calories or stay at or under goal everyday to see results. Allowing myself some leeway and looking at the bigger overall picture has helped. This is a part of a change in lifestyle and won't suddenly end after hitting the target weight goal. I guess this is a long way to say give yourself a break and don't beat up on yourself.

You are absolutely right! Definitely puts it into perspective, thanks!
  • FixItDuck
    FixItDuck Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    How about having something healthy (fruit with some nuts for protein?), along with a glass of water, then if you want the less healthy option have a small amount - one biscuit for example.

I struggle too but we can find something that works. For me, I'm noticing that my breakfast and lunch meals are pretty good most days but it's the snacks that let me down, so I am making a real effort to have nutritious/low calorie snacks (it's summer here, so there's plenty of yummy fruit - apricots, strawberries, blueberries...) with protein from almonds or a small piece of cheese if I feel really hungry then by dinner time, I have enough calories to eat the same as the rest of the family (watching portion size) and then sometimes dessert as well - chocolate cake tonight has put me over because I didn't exercise today, but it's not the end of the world.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Did you eat cookies like this before? I did.... So log it, own it, and see if there is a pattern. I noticed on days like yesterday, if I don't eat a decent amount in the morning I am VERY hungry in the afternoon and eat more calories than I'd like to, mainly because I really am hungry (not bored or stressed or wanting a treat). Maybe look at your log and see if there is a pattern...you may find that you were low on calories or fiber belly filling foods. Another thought if you like cookies...pick a reasonable serving size and plan your log in advance so you have the calories for them. I do better with allowing myself my treat (I really love jello banana split pudding cups), than to plan my life without them. Even if it means I went a bit over my calorie goal. Otherwise I would eat my normal amount, some healthy snacks, AND the pudding. Best for me to plan a life with pudding :)

Another thought...look at the times you are over snacking, and plan an activity then. Pack a healthy snack, and get out of the house. I sometimes feel like going crazy and instead walk to the coffee shop. It gets me away from the foods that tempt me, I get exercise, and a lovely coffee awaits me. I enjoy my drink there and walk home. By the time I am back, it is either time for my next meal, I am happy with the coffee and don't want the treat, or I am really still hungry but now want real food because I just exercised a bit more.

Small steps.....even one less cookie would be an improvement in the big picture. You could try that too....consciously choosing one less. You can do 1 less. I am on week 2, and it does get easier as you adjust to more exercise :)
  • AmandaStrickland1
    Options
    FixItDuck wrote: »
    How about having something healthy (fruit with some nuts for protein?), along with a glass of water, then if you want the less healthy option have a small amount - one biscuit for example.

I struggle too but we can find something that works. For me, I'm noticing that my breakfast and lunch meals are pretty good most days but it's the snacks that let me down, so I am making a real effort to have nutritious/low calorie snacks (it's summer here, so there's plenty of yummy fruit - apricots, strawberries, blueberries...) with protein from almonds or a small piece of cheese if I feel really hungry then by dinner time, I have enough calories to eat the same as the rest of the family (watching portion size) and then sometimes dessert as well - chocolate cake tonight has put me over because I didn't exercise today, but it's not the end of the world.
    I notice the same as you... Breakfast and lunch are good... Then the snacking is what gets me. I was really active for the few days before and was pretty low in calories given the extra I was burning (1250/ day). Protein and fruit is a great idea. I need to add more of that.

• AmandaStrickland1
    Options
    Did you eat cookies like this before? I did.... So log it, own it, and see if there is a pattern. I noticed on days like yesterday, if I don't eat a decent amount in the morning I am VERY hungry in the afternoon and eat more calories than I'd like to, mainly because I really am hungry (not bored or stressed or wanting a treat). Maybe look at your log and see if there is a pattern...you may find that you were low on calories or fiber belly filling foods. Another thought if you like cookies...pick a reasonable serving size and plan your log in advance so you have the calories for them. I do better with allowing myself my treat (I really love jello banana split pudding cups), than to plan my life without them. Even if it means I went a bit over my calorie goal. Otherwise I would eat my normal amount, some healthy snacks, AND the pudding. Best for me to plan a life with pudding :)

Another thought...look at the times you are over snacking, and plan an activity then. Pack a healthy snack, and get out of the house. I sometimes feel like going crazy and instead walk to the coffee shop. It gets me away from the foods that tempt me, I get exercise, and a lovely coffee awaits me. I enjoy my drink there and walk home. By the time I am back, it is either time for my next meal, I am happy with the coffee and don't want the treat, or I am really still hungry but now want real food because I just exercised a bit more.

Small steps.....even one less cookie would be an improvement in the big picture. You could try that too....consciously choosing one less. You can do 1 less. I am on week 2, and it does get easier as you adjust to more exercise :)

That is the best idea ever! To just leave the house when I know I will be wanting to snack too much. Especially since I am at home most of the day. I think that's why it's so hard. Thanks for the tips! I know it's something a lot of people struggle with, and it's super frustrating. But, we got this!
  • Debarella
    Debarella Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm stuggling with this too working out makes me crazy hungry! I feel very frustrated & grumpy 'cause I need to eat a bit of protein & fruit. I do that but am still starving. Pms isn't helping either.
  • AmandaStrickland1
    Options
    Debarella wrote: »
    I'm stuggling with this too working out makes me crazy hungry! I feel very frustrated & grumpy 'cause I need to eat a bit of protein & fruit. I do that but am still starving. Pms isn't helping either.

Yep, PMS for me too... Which makes me think that's why I feel so starved and want to eat the worse foods possible. Which is nothing new around this time of the month. I think the key is to allow ourselves the bad stuff - because it is just inevitable...just not a ton of it. And to log it! Next week will be better