Strange Dreams, Ketostix, Friends....

Options
KetoCutie
KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
Has anyone experienced any more than usual, weirder than usual dreams while doing keto? I've been doing a keto/paleo for two weeks now, and WOW. Almost every single night, super weird dreams....

Aside from that, I'm loving the changes I'm seeing while doing this. So sustainable. I need to pick up some of those nifty ketostix for testing - can I find those anywhere- like Walmart or such?

Anyway, happy to be part of the tribe. I'd love some new friends who are also doing a paleo/keto hybrid (I read that as more veggies than a typical keto, and limited dairy).

Cheers!

Replies

• hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have probably had a couple more vivid dreams than usual. I wish I did more...
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I always have crazy dreams so it's hard for me to say.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I dream a LOT more and also sleep a lot less. I've been up twice this week at 4:30am, wide-eyed and bushy-tailed.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on the dreams really, but for ketostix, are you talking about the urine test strips? Yes, you can get those at Wal Mart by the diabetic supplies section. They are cheapest at Wal Mart by a few dollars compared to Target. If you mean by blood there are strips available, those can get expensive but they are cheapest online...someone might have that info. There is also one that measures your breath called Ketonix. I think its around $120, its accurate but not as expensive as always having to buy expensive test strips.

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have had more vivid dreams than before. I've always had nightmare type dreams, but what I like about dreaming more is that I know I am getting better quality REM sleep than before. I suffer from insomnia sometimes. The type where you fall asleep, but can't stay asleep. It's really frustrating. On LCHF, I sleep better overall. It's a win in my book.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    I can't comment on the dreams really, but for ketostix, are you talking about the urine test strips? Yes, you can get those at Wal Mart by the diabetic supplies section. They are cheapest at Wal Mart by a few dollars compared to Target. If you mean by blood there are strips available, those can get expensive but they are cheapest online...someone might have that info. There is also one that measures your breath called Ketonix. I think its around $120, its accurate but not as expensive as always having to buy expensive test strips.

Thank you for the info! :)
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I always have crazy dreams so it's hard for me to say.

What she said. I've had crazy dreams for as long as I can remember. If there was a particular food that triggered my nightmares, I'd be happy to find out what it is and never eat it again though!!

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Has anyone experienced any more than usual, weirder than usual dreams while doing keto? I've been doing a keto/paleo for two weeks now, and WOW. Almost every single night, super weird dreams....

Aside from that, I'm loving the changes I'm seeing while doing this. So sustainable. I need to pick up some of those nifty ketostix for testing - can I find those anywhere- like Walmart or such?

Anyway, happy to be part of the tribe. I'd love some new friends who are also doing a paleo/keto hybrid (I read that as more veggies than a typical keto, and limited dairy).

Cheers!

There is a study (I'll have to find the link) that shows that the Keto/Low Carb diet induces better REM sleep. REM sleep is the sleep cycle associated with dreaming. It could be that you are getting more REM sleep and by chance, remembering your dreams more often.

As far as weird dreams go, I think everybody I know (Keto or not) has weird dreams...

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Weird Dreams Land

• kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    While I not glad you're having dreams, I AM glad that I'm not the only one! When I first started I had terrible nightmares and disturbed sleep. I don't normally dream - or at least if I do, I don't remember them - but when I first get into ketosis the nights are awful. I asked around and most keto people were a bit baffled by this. Most people seem to report better sleep while in ketosis, but I'm one of the ones that gets the insomnia, early waking and interrupted sleep pattern unfortunately. It does go away after a few weeks though, so if its bothering you don't worry!
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Cheers!

Yes, way weird dreams on LC...altho the
    nightmarish ones seem to be settling
    into more vivid dreams than nightmares.

I'm feeling this symptom may be a sign of healing
    going on within the brain...cholesterol, and
    an oxidised form of cholesterol called oxysterol,
    (from a HighFat diet),
    being an article of nerve, myelin sheath
    repair, yes..?

‘Cholesterol necessary for brain development’
    and