How to stay on track during a busy semester?

Options
kaitcb92
kaitcb92 Posts: 12 Member
Hey everyone,

Looking for some tips on how you guys stay on track when school gets really busy.

I am currently 2 weeks in to a 6 week condensed semester - it is super busy and I find myself slacking on meal prep for my lunches because I am at school studying sometimes until 11 pm. I have evening classes until 7 so I find I am so hungry and tired by the end of it I just go home and want to grab whatever is convenient.

Any tips / advice?? Much appreciated!

Replies

• Kristle582
    Kristle582 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help you or not but when I am reading a textbook or going over flashcards I jog in place for my exercise. As for the food, I use my Saturdays making meals for the coming week so I can just grab them and go.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, protein bars, fiber bars. Tasty options, various flavors and the ultimate grab and go "I can shove this in my backpack with the books and it's still edible when I remember it" food. Also, apples, asian pears and oranges/cuties travel really well. Add them to protein shakes or bars and you have a complete meal for those 10 minute dashes between classes.
  • mmacpeek
    Options
    Hey! I am a mom to three, work full time and am in my last semester of my doctoral coursework... Each semester I have packed on pounds when I get crazy busy , tired and hungry... Each semester of 5-10 is now 50 I want shed! My best new friend is a simple crockpot.... This morning I made homemade chicken and rice soup, loaded with veggies. It's ready for me when I walk through the door and there are leftovers for lunches.... Also, keep a Tupperware of cut up veggies you can start to eat as you prep dinner... It will carry you through! It's not easy. Hang in there!
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    i'd say that you should cut out the not-so-good for you foods from your cabinets/fridge/freezer. don't even leave the temptation.

for my lunches, i hate doing meal prep, too...so i just grab a banana, hummus, and green pepper slices. i'll bring carrots or whatever for a snack.

i know it's easy to say "prepare ahead of time!" but man, sometimes, you just dont have the time or energy the night before to focus on the following day's food. so think about that as you grocery shop, and pick foods for lunch that are easy to just throw in a bag and don't need much prep.
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I make four meals worth of soup at once and keep it in the fridge. I carry tons of granola bars with me and I'll usually throw and apple into my backpack before leaving for class.
    If you don't have time to exercise, walk instead of taking the bus. I spent over an hour today walking around campus from class to class.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You might also consider making nice with the cafeteria people, mine now make me a salad with the "leftovers" of veggies, probably twice the size of a prepared one and less than half the price because it's "waste"
  • thedaydreamer92
    thedaydreamer92 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have 21 credits (2 days at the college and online classes) and work part time, so I can definitely understand the struggle you're going through. The first couple semesters I gained a lot of weight from fast food. However, I've had a few years of working at this, so I finally think I know what I'm doing with keeping myself on track.

I make a to do list at the beginning of each week - this really helps keep myself on track when it comes to my studies and my personal time. I start my college days off with a really big breakfast because something about sitting in class for 2 hours makes me really hungry. Before I go to class, I pack a lunch that consists of a two sandwiches and two packages of crackers. In between my breaks between classes, I eat them. Also, I bring a low calorie drink like sobe life water, so I don't buy soda. At the end of the day, I have a big dinner. I never bring cash or my debit card to stay away from the food and drink temptations. I don't exercise (except for walking around campus) on my college days.
  • k_baby05
    k_baby05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who don't have the motivation or desire to commit to advanced food prep, but what has helped me stay on track is only keeping healthy snacks in the house. That way no matter what I grab is a good option and I'm not tempted by other unhealthy options. Out of sight, out of mind!