What is the macro ratio supposed to be? Personal health experience?

Options
The few things I've read do not state a specific macronutrient ratio, just give you and eating plan and tell you to follow it (doesn't work for me to not have flexibility). What is the C/P/F ratio supposed to look like for this woe?

Also, has anyone been to the doctor for a checkup since beginning this program? I'm just curious as to whether or not your cholesterol or triglycerides were impacted either positively or negatively. Stuff I've read say this woe improves all that but never knew anyone personally.

Replies

• tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Welcome to LCHF Lifestyle..!
    Here's a man that has posted his
    5 Year LCHF cholesterol test results online:
    eatlowcarbhighfat.com/?s=test

'...Today I got the test results and the “verdict” was: “Your cholesterol and APO are within the reference values. All indicators are stable and without remark...”'
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There's a reason you don't see C/P/F ratios for this way of eating. That's because it's not how this way of eating works. It's not ratios that matter, it's absolute amounts. It may be fine for someone to eat 10% carbs, when another should not eat more than 3% carbs... based on their calorie goals.

Generally, you start with a carb goal. Most pick 20g or so. Then you determine your protein needs. That's different for everyone. I generally prefer to err on the high end, so let's say 100g. Add those together and multiply by 4. That's (100+20)*4=480. This is the amount of calories each day you will consume from Carbs and Protein. Finally, you determine your calorie goal and use fat to meet it.

1400: 20g/100g/102g or 5.7%/28.6%/65.7%
    1800: 20g/100g/147g or 4.4%/22.2%/73.3%
    2500: 20g/100g/224g or 3.2%/16.0%/80.8%

Now, this all changes if your protein needs are higher/lower or you have a different calorie goal. Generally, <5% / 20-25% / 70-80% is going to be where you end up... unless you're going pretty low calorie. Still, those numbers don't work for everyone.

Use the keto-calculator: keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ to get the numbers that are right for you. As a side bonus, it will even tell you the percents at the end.

Edit: As for blood work, my total cholesterol dropped 50 points (from 208 to 156) eating like this. All my other numbers were right in the expected and normal ranges.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Just what FIT_Goat says. I've been doing this woe for over a year now. My blood pressure is down so no more meds, my cholesterol is now perfect, and my AC1 which was borderline diabetic is way down too. AND I lost 65 pounds!
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The keto calculator referenced above is going to be your starting point. :)
  • pseudandry
    pseudandry Posts: 41 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    There's a reason you don't see C/P/F ratios for this way of eating. That's because it's not how this way of eating works. It's not ratios that matter, it's absolute amounts. It may be fine for someone to eat 10% carbs, when another should not eat more than 3% carbs... based on their calorie goals.

Generally, you start with a carb goal. Most pick 20g or so. Then you determine your protein needs. That's different for everyone. I generally prefer to err on the high end, so let's say 100g. Add those together and multiply by 4. That's (100+20)*4=480. This is the amount of calories each day you will consume from Carbs and Protein. Finally, you determine your calorie goal and use fat to meet it.

1400: 20g/100g/102g or 5.7%/28.6%/65.7%
    1800: 20g/100g/147g or 4.4%/22.2%/73.3%
    2500: 20g/100g/224g or 3.2%/16.0%/80.8%

Now, this all changes if your protein needs are higher/lower or you have a different calorie goal. Generally, <5% / 20-25% / 70-80% is going to be where you end up... unless you're going pretty low calorie. Still, those numbers don't work for everyone.

Use the keto-calculator: keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ to get the numbers that are right for you. As a side bonus, it will even tell you the percents at the end.

Edit: As for blood work, my total cholesterol dropped 50 points (from 208 to 156) eating like this. All my other numbers were right in the expected and normal ranges.

I'll look it up again where I recently read it, but I did just read somewhere that it isn't recommended to go over 50% fat in one's diet. It was a low-carb or paleo article. You don't have to comment until I find it, but I'm just mentioning it because I find it hard to get even that much fat in my daily eating. Note: I just started, and I'm trying to come to terms with my older, preconceived notions about how to eat, so I might be in information overload from researching WOE.
  • pseudandry
    pseudandry Posts: 41 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ok, I found the article. It was good that I went back to re-read it. http://www.paleoflip.com/protein-carb-and-fat-ratios/. It said, "It is also almost impossible to eat too much good fat. Why? Because up to 50% of calories in your diet from healthy fat is good for you, and quite frankly, it is very difficult to consume that much healthy fat in your diet. Unless you’re eating lard out of the bucket with an ice cream scoop, you shouldn’t have to restrict your good fat consumption at all." Good fat...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that, that keto calculator gives very low calories...
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have always had low cholesterol counts, so my dr recommended lchf as part of a weight loss plan for me.
    8 months later, down in weight many, many #, but for the first time in my life my "bad" cholesterol was high, and i was instructed to dial it down.
    It has since corrected, but weight has returned, my fault completely, as i dialed things down with my weight loss plan too much and essentially went back to bad carb habits.
    This time around I am still keeping the carbs super low, but not letting the fats get *quite* so high each day.
    Just my personal experience, but blood tests every 6 months might be a good idea.

=^x^=