Need encouraging friends

Options
deejayy89
deejayy89 Posts: 144 Member
Hey guys. I've been around the my fitness pal world for a while but have had a hard time sticking to it lately. I've had type 2 diabetes for about 3 years now and my management has really fluctuated. After I had my little girl I really let myself go. My a1c went from a 6.1 to a 8.3 :( I'm really just looking for some new friends that can help encourage me and keep me motivated.

Replies

• tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. I've noticed that this group seems less active since the format change but I am new to it and looking for motivation, too. I am finally taking this disease seriously and using MFP to keep me on track. I hope you'll stick around. It looks like your little one is a precious reason to get healthy! Darling! - Toni
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hi deejayy! I was diagnosed as pre diabetic. I went to an endocrinologist who put me on Victoza. I was on it for about 4 months, and lost quite a bit of weight. During that time I began MFP to track my calories. The victoza taught me correct portion size since i could not eat much while on it. I am now off of it but always weigh/measure/log my food. If you would like to friend request me, that would be great! If you ever need motivation just look at what your arms are holding!! We are all here for eachother but it has to come from within. truly.
  • SKMTX
    SKMTX Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    How do I join diabetic group?
  • juliegetshealthy
    juliegetshealthy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey deejayy89, tngram2seven, farfromthetree and skrace I wish this group was more active as I am relatively newly diagnosed (June,2014). Hopefully participation will pick up.
  • TNunraveler
    TNunraveler Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I was diagnosed a little over a year ago. My doctor calls it a "mild" case, which he should have never said to someone like me. "Mild" means I don't take it seriously. Or, I should say, didn't take it seriously until these last few weeks of the holidays. I found myself getting very sleepy during the day, my vision (not great to begin with) was a little blurry, and I had brain fog. It hit me that, my blood sugar must be way up...and it was. I'm on it now -- testing testing testing -- cutting out bread and starchy foods -- and it's finally come down to 129 today. I know that sounds high, but that's a good reading compared to the past. I'm looking for support and encouragement from every source I can think of.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    skrace wrote: »
    How do I join diabetic group?

The fact that you are posting means that you are already a member of this Type 2 Support Group. Take your time to have a look at the threads and then ask any questions you may have. Type 2 is a very individual disease but the good news is that with a disciplined approach the vast majority of people live healthy and fulfilled lives.
  • ankalime
    ankalime Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    deejayy89 wrote: »
    Hey guys. I've been around the my fitness pal world for a while but have had a hard time sticking to it lately. I've had type 2 diabetes for about 3 years now and my management has really fluctuated. After I had my little girl I really let myself go. My a1c went from a 6.1 to a 8.3 :( I'm really just looking for some new friends that can help encourage me and keep me motivated.

deejayy, I've been a T2 for over 10 years. My worst a1c was over 11. I think a lot of us go through times where we like to pretend we're not diabetic. Don't beat yourself up. You're doing the right thing now, and you have such a beautiful baby to be healthy for! Test, watch what you eat, exercise, sleep...and enjoy the good things. You can do it!

Everyone please feel free to add me.

• Luizam25
    Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I've been diagnosed with T2D at the end of 2009. I have been on Metformin, a bit of Insulin, off Insulin, and after my rencent blood work got maxed out Metformin and Insulin again. My fasting sugar was - on Jan 13- 8.3 and my Hba1c 7.4...worst ever. For 5 years my fasting was in the 6 range and my a1c from 6.1 to 6.6.
    The Dr says is the natural progression of diabetes. I am very frustrated.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that your Dr seems fatalistic. Perhaps it's time to think about a new plan of attack. There is lots of info on the threads from people who have changed tack with good results. As far as I'm aware it is rare for Diaabetes to be resistant to all strategms to deal with it. Low Carb; Keto; Paleo; 5;2 are all strategies which people have used to the surprise of their health care 'professionals'. Have a look and see what takes your fancy, you have nothing to lose.
  • Luizam25
    Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks Robert. I was thinking of Keto and/or 5:2...meds are so much deceiving sometimes.