dominant vs non dominant hand which one should i use

Options
I have recently upgraded from a zip to a fitbit charge. I wear my charge on my left hand and I am right handed. I thought because of this I should set it at non dominant. I have tested lifting my hand and bending it and things like that and it did not increase my steps. Reading a answer to a question on the fitbit website help section it says:

How can I make my Charge tracking more accurate?
You can improve the accuracy of your Charge by changing the Dominant Hand setting on your Device Settings page (http://www.fitbit.com/settings/device), which can be found under the gear icon in the upper right corner of your dashboard. Changing this setting to "Dominant" will decrease sensitivity of step counting and should reduce over counting of steps when your body is not moving. Using the "Non Dominant" setting will increase the sensitivity of step counting and can be used if your Charge is not counting enough steps. You can also add other personal settings such as stride length to make Charge more personalized for you.

Reading this should I therefore change my settings to dominant.

Replies

• mpnet04
    mpnet04 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that the Fitbit tracks using your stride link (walking). If you don't have it set right then it could throw everything off. I don't have a Charge I have the Flex.
  • Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    That was my other question as well whether it counts steps even if your arm is not moving. I found on the website in the faq section as well that it will count steps if you are say pushing a shopping trolley but it will be less accurate then if your arm was moving and likely to count less steps because your arm is not moving. I have also tested it while typing and it seems to not count typing as steps (I have seen on the forums that some people were having this issue) so im glad it doesn't seem to be counting non step activity as activity.

Id be interested to know though now that you mention it whether its the stride link that it counts or arm movements. Thanks for your help.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You said that bending your arm and moving it resulted in no increase in steps - therefore you had the setting right - why change it?

It must see impact of your steps. So just picture activities of where arm is not moving.
    Is it still moving with the body though, or it is on that cart or treadmill and not moving at all.
    And you've likely held on to something with death grip and forearm doesn't move much at all, or loser and it does bounce.

There's the difference.

And it's the step impact that decides stride length actually in use - it just has to calculate that even though arm may be swinging at same time.

So your setting of mass and stride length tell the device what impact is to be expected, along with hang time.
    If faster impacts but lighter, you are taking short fast steps, so used stride length is shorter.
    If harder longer impacts, must be running, so used stride length is calculated.

And arm motion in there can play a factor. Ever seen those runners that almost run with arms hanging down, not moving - confusion to device.
    Or those that almost snap their arms even with a gentle run - confusion.
  • Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks heybales that really explains it. Ill leave the setting as it is then and thanks for also explaining how it works it out the steps. Very helpful. Thanks for such a detailed answer