How to deal with exercise calories with hypo?

Options
2»

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I've also discovered Dr Hedberg, on line. His work is very interesting. I wish he was UK based.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    slieber wrote: »
    I am very lucky. My doctor checks the adrenals with every blood test. She reduced some of my meds due to the vigilance.
    How can you check it? Is there a test for it? What's its name? I always thought that the whole "adrenal fatigue" was dismissed by traditional medicine so never bothered to ask for a test.

They can test for adrenal fatigue in blood work. From what I understand though a saliva test or a stress test is more accurate. I had a stress test done but I don't know the name of it. I can try and find out next time I go in. My doctor is an internist and I'm in Dallas, Texas USA if that helps you any. My gynecologist does blood testing so maybe it is becoming more accepted as more research is documented. All I know is I feel a gazillion times better after starting treatment and so I'm a believer - no doubt in my mind.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    When I have a chance, I'll dig out my bloodwork prescription and list the tests. The document is something like 3 pages long!
  • Betti2
    Betti2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo & have Hashimotos diagnosed 15years ago.
    My mother had it & some of my family members have it.
    I adhere to a fairly strict diet but nothing works, although, in saying that I am the only one in my family that takes Natural Desicated Thyroid (NDT), Low Dose Naltraxen (LDN) & the only one that hasn't had massive weight gain.
    All family members that have the disease have gone from a size 10 to size 20 in a few years. I am still a size 12 but its a constant battle.
    At the moment I have bloods monthly, things aren't great as Hormones & other factors are causing big grief.
    I have found "Stop the thyroid madness" very informative & also I have learnt much more about my condition from the support groups on FB, there are quite a few.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    These are my regular tests:
    DHEA-S
    Estradiol
    Free T4
    Free T3
    FSH
    Iron, total
    Luteinizing hormone
    Progesterone
    Sex hormone binding globulin
    Testosterone free
    TSH
    Vitamin B-12
    Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy

I have celiac disease, so the last two have to do with that. I had diagnosis long before being Gluten-Free was "trendy."
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Just for reference, I also get Vitamin D tested and I don't have Celiac. I think it's a very common deficiency among hypo folks.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks @slieber. I'll check my printouts.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Interesting to read all the responses. And its GREAT that unlike some of the general threads on mfp, people with thyroid disease truly appear to want to help & share their own experiences without all the drama. :)

That said, OP, I can totally relate to your post. Same with being exhausted and wanting to nap. It took probably 2 months on meds to get over that exhausted feeling. And still trying to push thru workouts really sucked. And then the virus/sinus inf/crud hit. So if you are still wiped out then probably a good idea to have dr treat you symptomatically.

As for eating back any exercise calories, that is a delicate balance that you will have to tweak to see what works for yourself. With myself, diagnosed with hypo, for ME, even with huge calorie burns (am avid cyclist), I found that the scale was still climbing and had a sluggish appetite to boot during those first months. For ME, just working on resistance and/or yoga wasn't enough to (a) get my appetite back, and (b) get the scale to move anywhere but up. For ME, even paying diligent attention to macros wasn't enough. And it was so very discouraging.

The only thing that really helped my self-esteem was someone on my friends list said what helped her was if she just gave up she'd be as big as a house....those words really hit home with me.

Just most recently all the stars seem to be aligned....the appetite is back, the energy is back, the calorie burns are paying off on the scale, and feeling a little more like my old self.

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Allaboutthecake. You have it. It is like trying to get all your personal stars in alignment. I hope we can all find our way to stop "crying for the moon"
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Allaboutthecake too. I learned the hard way when one of my personal stars got out of alignment -- for me it was DHEA. If I dropped some of the other supplementation -- like Vitamin D, selenium and magnesium -- I might go wonky again too.

I know for ME, once I got all this stuff working -- my personal stars in alignment -- the weight started to come off pretty much in alignment with my calculated calorie deficits. Not always linearly -- there would be starts and stops and periods of stagnation then big drops. But looked at over several months rather than several days or several weeks, it all did add up to what was generally calculated. I also scrupulously track calories at this point. I don't know if I'll always do it, but I find that it's necessary for me right now.

I also don't know how much my chosen workout regime comes into play. I lift heavy (barbell training) 3x week, walk a lot (have a treadmill desk at work so I'm putting in 6-9 miles per day) and a weekly HIIT hill sprint or yoga session. If I were doing something else -- like running all the time -- it may not work for me. But, this is what is working for me and it does feel like the angels are singing and it all *makes sense*.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Allaboutthecake. You have it. It is like trying to get all your personal stars in alignment. I hope we can all find our way to stop "crying for the moon"
    Love it. I'm going through a rough patch at the moment - a big b-day is coming and I feel a bit demotivated because I am not in control of my body. But I hope I will get there one day. Get my stars aligned :-)
  • SkinnyCat39
    SkinnyCat39 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I tend to loose when I do not eat/drink back my calories so I guess the Synthroid is working well for me. My problem is breaking bad habits, not the Thyroid issue.