Does anyone want to get something started?

walker306
walker306 Posts: 92 Member
Hey…We are not getting any younger but we can get healthier! Anybody have any ideas?

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    What is normally done here?
    What about a monthly Encourage-Along? Something like we each post our goals for the month (nutritionally, habit changes, exercise, etc) and post when we've done something towards one of the goals. (ie: "eat less junk food (currently eat it every day)" as a goal and a post of "today I did not eat any junk food").

or a common group-decided goal that we all work towards together? Something like "Exercise 4 times a week for at least 30 minutes each time" and then we post each time we exercise, keeping track of the goal.

• walker306
    I like your ideas! How about we post our "New Month Resolution(s)" instead of New YEAR resolutions! We list our goal(s) and post our progress towards that goal? For example: My main problem is that I don't weigh my food. I understand it is very important to do so but I have not done it with any consistency. So my goal would be to start using the scale to weigh my food - hopefully it will become a habit!
  • nev888
    nev888 Posts: 67 Member
    I'm in! My goal for January is to exercise at least 30 minutes every day and stay within my calorie limit. I've already printed a calendar and will give myself a sticker for every day I achieve this. Sounds a bit silly but the visual motivation seems to work for me.
  • walker306
    nev888 …awesome idea! I'm going to get a calendar set up right now and do the same thing! I don't think it is a silly idea at all! Good luck…hopefully more people will join in!
  • PaytraB
    I jot my running & walking time & distances into a calendar, then highlight the fastest and/or longest of the month. By flipping through the months and looking at the highlights, I can actually see progress that I don't feel is happening.
    Keeping a calendar is encouraging and shows your progress. I recommend it.
  • nev888
    Got my first sticker! Went to an Intro Reformer class and loved it - already signed up for another class on Wed. Off to Yoga tonight.
  • PaytraB
    edited January 2015
    Well done, Nev888!! Have fun at yoga tonight.
    I went for a walk after work. The rain had stopped and it wasn't dark yet. Walked for 40 minutes at a pretty good pace and estimate having done about 3K. After being inside all day, it felt really good to be out.
  • nev888
    Good for you, Paytra! It's too cold here to get outside other than from the house to the car (today -42C) but once the weather gets better, I plan to add walks in to my routine. Right now, I'm sticking to the treadmill.

Happily put another sticker on my calendar for going to Yoga last night. Am feeling motivated, and need to keep it up. I think this group will help.
  • walker306
    Way to go ...both of you! Love to hear about the stickers!

I have two (out of 3) stickers for myself. I didn't fare as well last night. I made a dessert and ate as much of it as I wanted. Just went for it! Ugh!

Back on track today...I have to watch myself tonight...the dessert is still in the frig!
  • PaytraB
    I find it encouraging to come here and find that you've earned another sticker, nev88

I ran/walked on the treadmill today for 75 minutes. Ran a total of 6K (5K+0.5+0.5) in 50 minutes. Walked 2.2K in 25 minutes.
    I run slower on the treadmill even though I have it set to 7K/hr, which is about the speed I run outdoors. I can't figure it out. It could be that the treadmill needs adjusting and I'm actually running further than its recording (the belt may be a bit loose). Anyone know if such a thing can happen (not the belt but the logging less distance than actually covered)?

• nev888
    Sorry Paytra, don't know the answer to your treadmill question - but congrats on using it! I did another Reformer (Pilates) class last night and loved it - and, yes, - another sticker on my calendar. I'm not really finding it a problem to stay within my calorie limits (now that I'm not eating all the junk food - jujubes, etc.). Am feeling very motivated and need to keep this up.
  • PaytraB
    No worries, Nev888. I probably should have it serviced at some point. It's about 8 years old, I think.
    Well done on the Pilates class. You're really gathering those stickers.
    Stay motivated.....and away from the jujubes. :-)
  • nev888
    Well, had a bit of a tough day yesterday - really cold, tired, and hungry. Not sure if I'm coming down with something. Decided not to go to Yoga but walked on the treadmill at home for 30 minutes - I HAD to earn my sticker!
  • PaytraB
    You rock! Hubby and I are going out after work and won't be home until later, so no workout for me today. However, I will make up for it by doing 3/4 workouts over the next 3 days. That will catch me up and then some.
  • nev888
    Good for you Paytra! I've got a Reformer class scheduled today that I"m looking forward to. My challenge on the weekend is to watch my eating - it's a lot easier at work when all that's available is what I brought with me.
  • PaytraB
    Ain't that true!! Eating on the weekends requires more diligence and awareness. You can do it; you're doing great.
    Haven't worked out yet but it's still morning. I'll update later.
  • nev888
    Doing OK so far - I think the fact that I've set myself this challenge is helping. Went to a Reformer class this morning and out to the barn to see my horse this evening - too cold to ride, but I like to visit anyway.
  • PaytraB
    Sounds like a good day!
    I bought new shoes today and took them out for a run. I ran 5K and walked 2.36K in 65 minutes. It was nice to be able to run outdoors instead of the treadmill.
  • PaytraB
    Went for another run today. I won't have time tomorrow.
    Ran 6.5K in 50 minutes and walked 2.7K in 30 minutes. It started to drizzle about 15 minutes before I got home but I'm still glad that I got to go outdoors rather than use the treadmill.
  • nev888
    Good for you Paytra! I was stuck on the treadmill yesterday because it's still very cold here. Tonight is Pilates/Reformer class. So far I haven't missed a sticker :)
  • PaytraB
    The treadmill is good....it makes you realize how nice the outdoors are. :wink:

My tai-chi class had been cancelled (boo!) but I just got a call from the instructor and he's having us over to his place for tai-chi lessons starting tomorrow. How wonderful is that?! He'll be teaching us on his own time, too. Even without this he's a terrific guy and this just goes to show how terrific he truly is.

So, nothing today (went for my run yesterday), tai-chi tomorrow night and possibly nothing on Wednesday (an appointment after work that may go long). But I'll be back on track by Thursday.
  • walker306
    Hello…checking in, finally. Had a few bad days going over my calories. Trying to get back on track. Still getting my exercise in. Now if I could just tape my mouth shut! haha!

You all seem to be going great! Keep it up!
  • PaytraB
    Walker, we all have those days. The last couple of days have been calorie rich for me, too. I've made a salad for tomorrow's lunch....time to start paying a bit more attention to what I'm eating.

Tai-chi was cancelled tonight so I "hopped" onto the treadmill. I took it slow because my leg is bothering me. Ran 5K in 46 minutes, walked 1.75K in 19 minutes.
  • nev888
    I think the important thing to do is just get back on track - don't let a "bad" day(s) derail you. It happens to all of us. What I'm hoping to accomplish by using MFP and the group is to hold myself accountable and keep on with the program I set myself. Had lunch out yesterday and while I was within my calories for the day, I know I could have made a better choice in what I ordered, but won't beat myself up over it - back on track today and have my meals planned out.
  • PaytraB
    That's how I'm trying to look at this new lifestyle, too. I don't want to overanalyze every bite of food and want to enjoy life, including food. Therefore, some days will be not as good as they could be but, overall, days are good, healthy and enjoyable. We all need/want cake once in awhile, right?, and we don't want to beat ourselves up every time we have a piece. It's all about moderation and balance.
  • walker306
    Thank you both for the encouragement. I appreciate it. I am getting back on track today and will try to use a little willpower. Again, my weakest moments are at dinner time. I know what I need to do...I just don't...plain and simple. But today is a new day! I'm going to do it!

I'm glad you two are keeping at it! Paytra...keep on moving...you really do a lot of running! That's awesome! Even with a hurting leg! Hope it gets better!

Nev888...keep up with the stickers! I hope by the end of January you have lots of them on your calendar!!!!!
  • walker306
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."

-- Mahatma Gandhi
  • gunnsgirl91303
    gunnsgirl91303 Posts: 26 Member
    I just joined this group and I'm in. My goals for this month are to avoid refined sugar, exercise at least 30 minutes every day and to eat healthier snacks. So far I'm eating much healthier and am getting in lots of cardio (I do lots of brisk walking up and down the hills of Seattle as part of my commute) but my struggle is to find time for strength training since I get up at 4:15 am and don't get home from work until about 5:30 pm and them I'm tired. This week I'm going to try getting up at 4am and getting in a 10 minute ST workout before work. Tonight I'm going to do 10 minutes of upper body ST when I get home.
  • PaytraB
    edited January 2015
    Hi Gunnsgirl! Hop on over to the "encourage along" thread for our daily chat about how our lives are going. See you there.
    I get up early, too, (not quite as early as you) and am tired when I get home. But, together, we can do this.
  • nev888
    Welcome from another early riser.