Just Starting

Options
JessRaddatz
JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
Hi everyone! I just started C25K on Wednesday and I am so excited about it!!! It was much easier than I thought it'd be (only set back was getting my flailing arms tangled in my headphones cord and sending my phone flying off the treadmill and halfway across the gym - so embarrassing!! Wireless earbuds are being delivered today. Guess that's what I get for air punching to the beat of The Eye of the Tiger).

Anyway, I'm doing day two today and I'm really looking forward to it. My plan is to run on MWF and bike at home the other days. I signed up for a 5k on April 25th, so hopefully I will have finished the program by then. I'm worried because I am doing the entire thing on the treadmill since I live in Wisconsin and it's cold and icy here and I HATE cold and icy and I know it's easier to run on a treadmill than on actual roads. I am currently doing the walking portions at 3.3 and the running portions at 5, but I know that 5 will have to come down to more of a 4.3 or 4.5 for me to run longer portions.

Anyone else out there just starting?

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Jess! You have the determination to make this happen.
    Transitioning from treadmill to road is very individual. Some people have no problems; others have a lot of problems. I had a lot.
    I trained on the treadmill and was running about 40 minutes non-stop when I moved outdoors. I was really disappointed in myself when I could barely run 10 minutes non-stop at first. It was an eyeopener.
    The way it was explained to me at the time was that training on the treadmill doesn't train the muscles that propel you forward, so when transitioning to the outside, these muscles are weaker than your trained muscles and they slow you down for a week or two while they strengthen. There may be some exercises you can do that helps this set of muscles strengthen over the winter.
    My advice would be to get outdoors as soon as you can to see for yourself how you do.

I graduated C25K a couple of years ago so I'm not starting but I'm still a 5K runner who's trying to shave some time off of my runs. In that sense, I'm still training and will be here to encourage others when I can.
  • JessRaddatz
    Options
    Thanks PaytraB! As soon as the weather warms up I plan on moving at least one run a week outside. Hopefully I will have a few weeks before the 5k that I can do that. One of the local Y's has an indoor track, so I could always go to that Y a few weeks before the race and try running on the track there. Thanks for the response!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Ooohh, an indoor track would be great. I wish there was one around here. While not the ideal that running outdoors is, its dry, you have to push yourself forward and you can watch everyone around you do their thing to entertain yourself.

Just keep running. In the end, that's all that's required. Have fun, too. :smile:
  • athwnafdm127
    athwnafdm127 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am starting. I am 48 and have never ran in my life. My daughter does Girls on the Run and her 5k us in May so, u want to do it with her this year.

Francesca
  • chickey42
    chickey42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    At 49 years old, I am just starting too. I hope to run a 5K in early June.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I am starting this week. I here putting the treadmill on a one or two degree incline can help in the transition and mimics outdoor running. I am going to do this and hopefully this will develop some of those muscles.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    If you've got access to the indoor track, use it when you can. Don't wait until just before the race otherwise the transition could be a confidence killer.
    Although putting the treadmill on an incline doesn't quite mimic running outdoors it is definitely closer than running with it flat, so give that a go too.
    Definitely move outside soon as you can :)

My background - Finished C25K Sept/Oct 2013 a few lapses in running since, but now up to 50+km a week and building. I live in Australia so don't deal with the super nasty winters ya'll have which I'm thankful for as it means I haven't used a dreadmill yet ;)
  • JessRaddatz
    Options
    Good advice everyone, thank you! I will definitely try setting the treadmill at an incline going forward and I can't wait to get outside and run. I have a feeling it won't take long for the treadmill to get boring.
  • atbnh
    atbnh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started today and also live in a cold climate (New Hampshire) so the treadmill will have to do for now. The high school track is only 1/2 mile from my house so when I get my endurance up a little and the weather is cooperating (anything above 35 degrees and sunny) then I will plan to incorporate some time outside. I am doing my walking portions at 3.0 and the running at 5.0. I downloaded an app for my phone to help train me. I want to join the biggest loser walk/run in Killington, VT in July but I want to do the 1/2 marathon through the mountains so that is currently my goal...but baby steps.
  • ggoss10
    ggoss10 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I LOVED Your post. I was dying at the image of the phone flying and the air punching. I find that I tend to start shaking it while doing the walking portions...especially when Beyoncé starts telling me I "Run the world". I am on my second week starting today and everytime I finish I feel like high-fiving everyone in the room haha. I am doing the walking portions at 3.2 and the jogging at 4. I figure if I can handle the jogging portions at 4 steadily, I can up the speed later. Good work!!
  • JessRaddatz
    Options
    Lol ggoss10! I totally know what you mean by wanting to high five everyone! That sense of accomplishment is my favorite part of running. I'm sure I am absolutely the weirdest runner in the gym; I just can't help mouthing along to the music and throwing in some dance moves and air punches! It makes the time go faster :smiley: Hey, if it's not at least a little enjoyable, I'm not going to stick with it.
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I started back a few weeks ago. I think I may have pushed it too hard. I was walking at 4.5 and running between 7-8 on an incline of at least 1. I have some right knee soreness and have added strength training to my workouts. Do you think if I slow it down it will help? I don't want to go without running and have to start over.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    acarmon55 wrote: »
    I started back a few weeks ago. I think I may have pushed it too hard. I was walking at 4.5 and running between 7-8 on an incline of at least 1. I have some right knee soreness and have added strength training to my workouts. Do you think if I slow it down it will help? I don't want to go without running and have to start over.

Slowing down might help, but do you have good shoes? My knee pain went away when I got fitted for good running shoes.

• PaytraB
    Options
    That may be a bit fast. Try the "talk test": speak a short sentence while running. If you can't talk comfortably, you should slow down. This is the best advice I was given while training and I still follow it.
    Also, follow Ceci's advice and have your shoes checked out in a running store. A good, proper fit is key to painless running.
    How old are your shoes & could they be worn out? My legs start feeling sore and overworked when I need to replace my shoes. It sneaks up on you slowly.