Which to try first?

Options
I've been stuck at 135 pounds for almost 8 weeks, although I'm feeling good and not in a huge hurry to hit 125. I have 4 ideas on what would help me lose weight, all of them would be pretty painful for me. Which of these options do you think would me most likely to help, if I only did one?
1) Give up Diet Dr Pepper
2) Give up cheese
3) Give up nuts
4) Intermittent fasting

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your calories? Being so close to your goal weight, counting carbs may not be enough for you at reducing your calorie intake to get you losing.

1. Diet Sodas have no calories. But does it lead to you eating more?
    2. Are you eating enough cheese that it puts you over your calories for the day? Are you weighing accurately?
    3. Again, the amount of nuts per day, is it something that contributes to your calorie surplus? Are you weighing them accurately?
    4. This is basically a way, like low carb, to limit your calorie intake. Are you snacking at night? Are you eating breakfast out of habit? Would you rather have less meals but more carbs available to eat those meals?

These are things only YOU can answer.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    3, 2, 4, 1 for the order of most impact ... nuts first because they are the most calorie dense & many have relatively high carbs, cheese for the same reason but not as much as nuts + there's less carbs, IF next because it's great for lots of reasons beyond calorie control, then diet soda last because the artificial sweetener decision is a pretty subjective one.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you're comfortable doing it, and if you've been logging on MFP, share your stats/macros/activity level/food log and see if folks here spot something that maybe you've missed?
  • VirtualMaddy
    VirtualMaddy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the offer radii. I don't log enough probably to be helpful. I know this isn't enough info, and probably doesn't sound like a good thing, but I eat only eggs, cheese, nuts (mostly macadamia), high fat meat, coconut oil, butter, cream, the occasional stevia based sweetener, and unsweetened cocoa powder for fat bombs. I drink at least 4 12 oz cans of diet dr pepper. I have been in ketosis since August according to my ketonix breath meter and stay under 20 total carbs most days and on a bad day still under 20 net carbs. I never eat vegetables or fruit which is fine with me. On days I check, I'm between 1100 and 1360 calories and my macros are 80/15/5. I don't exercise currently. As you can see, there are probably more things I could try. I'm going to try one thing at a time so I can isolate the effect. If I find an interesting result, I'll post it back here.

Thanks kirkor, I'll try the nuts. I couldn't bear to choose for myself but I'm so glad you didn't choose diet dr pepper or cheese as number 1 :)
  • msmi1970
    msmi1970 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i have been losing weight gradually but consistently in the last 4 months. still morbidly obese and far from my target. as i understand it, the closer you are, the more difficult it is.

my two cents worth. this last couple of weeks i actually put on a couple of pounds. the only change was me snacking on about 50gms of peanuts almost everyday. :\ so i too would probably start there.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Do a 24 hour water fast.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Try cutting dairy and get rid of the diet soda. :) Good luck!