Fitbit Charge HR

Options

Replies

• andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am suuuuuper annoyed today. I live in Canada and my mom pre-ordered the Charge HR for me for Christmas from Best Buy. It was supposed to ship out to me on the 23rd but she received an email this morning saying it won't be available until the 30th now! I'm not impressed :(
  • Wills820
    Wills820 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    jkslater3 wrote: »
    So I got my Charge HR a couple days ago and in my first day, which included a few trips up some stairs and about 1 mile of low intensity walking it claims I've burned over 4,000 calories. I find this very hard to believe. I have the device on my non dominant arm and set it to "dominant" mid day when I sensed that it was over estimating my caloric output. Any thoughts?

I also feel like my adjustment is too much. I switched over from using an Up 24 along with an HRM. I would someone from FitBit would address this issue.
  • driczal
    driczal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR. The heart Rate works fine on the wrist, though I usually wear it with the buckle on the outside and the sensors on the inside of my wrist directly over my radial artery.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Wills820 wrote: »
    jkslater3 wrote: »
    So I got my Charge HR a couple days ago and in my first day, which included a few trips up some stairs and about 1 mile of low intensity walking it claims I've burned over 4,000 calories. I find this very hard to believe. I have the device on my non dominant arm and set it to "dominant" mid day when I sensed that it was over estimating my caloric output. Any thoughts?

I also feel like my adjustment is too much. I switched over from using an Up 24 along with an HRM. I would someone from FitBit would address this issue.

What issue?
    And pretty sure Fitbit doesn't read these forums.

Feeling that something is high isn't an issue without some concrete data to know if it actually is or not. How would you know the UP24 was more accurate?

Your prior HRM could have been cheaper Polar and making some bad assumptions and reading 30% off or worse. Shoot, could have been a nicer Polar with self-measured stats that was off by that much.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

The UP could have been missing many steps through the day and underestimating calorie burn.

Because we have no stats from above comment yet. A purposeful 1 mile of walking (if the Fitbit even saw that much) doesn't account for the other 23 hrs of the day, where the majority of calories is burned.
    4000 could easily be accurate for mass and BMR being talked about.

And I have no idea how much digging you might have done in to prior device to decide it was decently accurate.
  • becuzIwanttoo
    becuzIwanttoo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how the HR would work on a treadmill and holding the railings while walking fairly briskly..... my one works perfect but am curious if the HR would need the arms swinging to get an accurate step count??
  • mmerry5
    mmerry5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's more like the Flex than the One and would need the arm motions.
  • starjam25
    starjam25 Posts: 4,723 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR. Regarding the heart rate monitor: I wear mine like a watch with the sensors on the top of the wrist. I go to cardio rehab for a heart attack I had recently, and I've compared the numbers on the HR with the montors that I'm hooked up to at rehab, and the bpm have been within 1 or 2 beats of each other. Regarding the arms swinging to get an accurate step: Many times I've (been lazy) just walked in place in my living room holding onto a chair with the arm that has the HR and counted my steps, and it's been pretty closed. I've counted up to about 200 steps and my HR has been 195 steps, so to me, that's pretty accurate. As a matter of fact I mentioned to my husband how strange it is that it can count steps when I'm holding onto something!
  • amber411
    amber411 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As far as heart rate monitoring goes the chest strap is always better and more accurate. However if you don't like wearing chest strap this is a great alternative just understand its not completely accurate since it takes a while for heart rate to go down to the arm and still with room for error. But if just helpful guidance is all you need its pretty fun to still be able to log everything in and have that kind of information. It may say its water proof however its more water resistant. Hope this helps
  • cha97shelley
    cha97shelley Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm upgrading from the One to the Charge HR. Its being delivered tomorrow. Its been handy reading this to make me aware of potential errors before I start. My biggest reason for wanting to upgrade is the HR. I have a Polar FT7 and have barely used it as its a faff. Hoping this one is much more straightforward as it will already be on my wrist and ready to go.
  • brandini4ku
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Surge and a Garmin 610 with chest strap HRM. I have found a slight difference between HRs during running workouts (-10), but a major difference (- 30) between high intensity interval training. I've been wearing the Surge since early December (I purchased one during an early release) and I think the wrist HRM is definitely not as effective as a chest strap. I also notice that during rest, the Surge seems to register a higher HR. My aunt, who is a nurse, was watching me scroll through the screens just this past Friday while we were sitting at a diner about to have a meal, and she laughed when she saw my HR on the Surge saying that was too high. She took my pulse right there and said it was 10 beats lower than what the Surge was indicating. At rest! Probably why some have experienced the higher calorie burn while wearing their Charge HR/Surge as compared to older models.

However, despite the inaccurate HRs, the Surge still impresses me since I can get my texts and incoming calls on it, which is good on runs where my phone is packed tight in a pocket. I just can't use the watch to respond. I also like that it automatically tracks my sleep; I don't have to tell it when I go to bed and when I get up like I did with my old Flex. Is it worth the $250? IMO, absolutely not.
  • mg4734
    mg4734 Posts: 4
    Options
    Today was my first day with the hr. I am kind of concerned that it is giving me a huge calorie adjustment. I never got an adjustment with the regular charge...

This is my concern as well. NO WAY did I burn 1200 extra calories, having not hit my 10k step goal that same day

• franarnold
    Options
    12dream wrote: »
    Also wanting to purchase Fitbit Charge HR... so far not available yet! Is that right? Has anyone got one yet?

• myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about getting the Charge HR but it looks really UGLY !!
  • franarnold
    Options
    I just got my Charge HR from bestbuy.com. FItbit site raised the price from $149 to $199. Best Buy was still charging $149. No showering or swimming in it. I'm still trying to understand how to track things through MFP to the Charge HR. Good luck!

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    starjam25 wrote: »
    I have the Charge HR. Regarding the heart rate monitor: I wear mine like a watch with the sensors on the top of the wrist. I go to cardio rehab for a heart attack I had recently, and I've compared the numbers on the HR with the montors that I'm hooked up to at rehab, and the bpm have been within 1 or 2 beats of each other. Regarding the arms swinging to get an accurate step: Many times I've (been lazy) just walked in place in my living room holding onto a chair with the arm that has the HR and counted my steps, and it's been pretty closed. I've counted up to about 200 steps and my HR has been 195 steps, so to me, that's pretty accurate. As a matter of fact I mentioned to my husband how strange it is that it can count steps when I'm holding onto something!

Ya, it's a misconception it's using arm swings for basis of step counts.

It's actually trying to read the step impacts despite the arm swings - which isn't hard to do if you walk/run with average arm swing motions.

I'll bet if you had death grip on chair, with wrist not moving at all, you would have gotten less steps.

Also, it likely did interfere with the ability to see how hard the impact of those steps, so seeing lighter impacts means shorter stride means shorter distance means less calorie burn. Even if steps is accurate.
  • nimoe82
    Options
    Nayners21 wrote: »
    I was thinking about getting the polar fit instead of the Charge HR for the reason of the chest strap. I think it would be hard to get your accurate HR off the wrist, especially if its not worn tight enough to feel it. I'm leaning towards the Polar fit.

I have a polar loop.... and it's so damn boring!
    I hate it, the app is absolutely insignificant, no food tracking, no to any kind of motivation...
    so I'd like to buy a charge hr... anything about its comfort? is it ok on your wrist for all the day?

thank you!

• Wills820
    Wills820 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Has anyone come up with a good solution for getting a more accurate reading during high intensity circuit training?
  • kmhill710
    Options
    I opted for the Charge and to date I love it. I do take it off before showering and doing dishes. I love the sleep tracker. I've thought for years I slept horrible and now when I go see the MD I can see LOOK! Already down 4 pounds. Keeps me moving and the charts are great. I personally prefer My Fitness Pals Food diary, so now the two can sync.
  • mmerry5
    mmerry5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wore my ChargeHR for the first day today. I set my Flex up for my husband last night, but just for today I wore them both on the same hand to see how they compared. They were within less than 100 steps of each other. I was happy to see that. I am enjoying the extra information that the Charge gives. I was also happy to watch on our local news channel that the Flex was rated as one of the most accurate of Fitness Trackers! :) I'm hoping since my ChargeHR was about the same steps that this will rate just as accurate as well.
  • becuzIwanttoo
    becuzIwanttoo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    mmerry5 wrote: »
    Wore my ChargeHR for the first day today. I set my Flex up for my husband last night, but just for today I wore them both on the same hand to see how they compared. They were within less than 100 steps of each other. I was happy to see that. I am enjoying the extra information that the Charge gives. I was also happy to watch on our local news channel that the Flex was rated as one of the most accurate of Fitness Trackers! :) I'm hoping since my ChargeHR was about the same steps that this will rate just as accurate as well.

Glad to hear that ... i currently have a One and am thinking about getting the ChargeHR. Reading all the comments to see how well it works. Thanks for posting and if you have time can you review it once in awhile. Much appreciated!!