Charge HR Exercise tracking Vs MFP Exercise tracking

Options
So the Charge HR comes with an exercise tracking function. You press the button and it marks the time period as an exercise until you press the button again.

But MFP say to only track you exercise via MFP not the fitbit app

But I don't what to have to manually track my exercies in MFP when my FitBit does it at the press of a button.

Anyone got one and worked this out yet ?

Replies

• joelschneider45066
    joelschneider45066 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of doing both the first day, so I am going to try ONLY logging my exercise in MFP - supposedly by entering the start time it will not double count. I am personally a little weary about the "Calorie Adjustment", but I am gonna try it for a while and see if I still progress as I have previously...
  • driczal
    driczal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Especially a problem for horseback riding. Yesterday I just let it go to see what happened. It counted over 15000 steps! :) And I only just got it yesterday and wore it half the day. Today I will try pressing the button before and after riding.
  • Wills820
    Wills820 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I personally have only been tracking using the Charge HR. I know that we've been told only to track exercise through MFP, but I'm failing to understand why the former could be wrong?
  • FitnessOverFood
    Options
    Pressing the button on the FIT is so much easier than remembering to log into MFP.

My suggestion: I use Runkeeper [mobile app] to track my walks/runs/cycling. I sync that to MFP [automatic process]. From there, I just mark the time and duration, and add that information into fitbit under the "exercise", so that the data is equivalent.

But Fitbit cannot backwards sync into MFP for some reason. I've noticed (and I think it states it when you first link up the Fitbit to MFP), track everything through MFP and make the necessary time adjustments in the Fitbit App separately. Lame...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Folks - that pressing the button to start an activity isn't doing what you think it is doing, and the advice from MFP to log in MFP is not ANY exercise.

That device function merely separates the time, steps, distance, calories, from the day as a whole - so you can review it later as the workout it was. Otherwise you'd never be able to compare workouts, merely daily totals.

It doesn't make it sync, doesn't make it change calorie values, doesn't do anything but allow viewing of data distinctly.

If you did that, and then proceeded to log the workout in MFP - MFP would sync over and replace ONLY the calorie burn for that time.

But the advice is to ONLY log exercise that is NOT step based, swimming should be obvious, rowing, biking, lifting, elliptical, ect.

That can be logged on MFP or Fitbit, doesn't matter, the end result is exactly the same.

The exercise database is even the same - except Fitbit's is newer data, and has a few more entries describing intensity, which allows better accuracy of calorie burn.

I'd suggest using Fitbit's.

The reason MFP wants you to use theirs, is so your wall gets posted with the workout, I guess to motivate others or keep you motivated.

But do it on Fitbit if you are in that account already, and just make a post on MFP about your workout with better stats you got, because you created an activity.

Oh - horseback riding is highly inaccurate, tons of steps that are getting a calorie formula for walking or running. It is NOT step-based and should be manually logged.
    And the activity tracking helps there too, now you know the start time and duration to manually log, instead of having to remember when you started/stopped.

Oh - and the calorie adjustment figure, while it is shown under exercise, is NOT just exercise.
    It's merely the difference between what MFP thought you'd burn with no exercise, and what Fitbit reports you burned (with or without exercise).
    It could be no exercise, and totally increased daily activity.
  • KirstenP77
    Options
    So Basically, If I am doing a step based workout (Run, Walk, Hike) Then I do NOT add that into MFP exercise and just work off of what Fitbit has synced to MFP? I get that fitbit has track of my steps, but obviously it isn't going to credit me with the correct calorie burn if it doesn't know im running from walking?
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    KirstenP77 wrote: »
    I get that fitbit has track of my steps, but obviously it isn't going to credit me with the correct calorie burn if it doesn't know im running from walking?

I hope you will excuse me butting in with a beginner's question. Doesn't FitBit record your calorie burn for the exercise (via it's HR monitoring)?
  • mmerry5
    mmerry5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    KirstenP77 wrote: »
    So Basically, If I am doing a step based workout (Run, Walk, Hike) Then I do NOT add that into MFP exercise and just work off of what Fitbit has synced to MFP? I get that fitbit has track of my steps, but obviously it isn't going to credit me with the correct calorie burn if it doesn't know im running from walking?

The Flex and other Fitbit wrist devices have an accelerometer so that it knows when you are running vs walking. I am not sure how the Charge HR will build in HR readings to calorie burn numbers. I've been wearing a Flex (upgrading to the Charge HR this week) and it is very obvious based on the calorie burns that it gives me that it does "know" the difference between walking and running just based on the speed of arm motions. I've been following Fitbit calorie numbers for a year and have maintained almost to the pound by eating just slightly less per day than it "gives" me. I think Fitbit slightly over estimates my burns for me, but everyone is different and the numbers might be perfect for some or even under estimates for others.
  • MrSharpSlim
    Options
    I get that MFP's advice is to not log work outs with fitbit. But if you do something that isn't a cardio machine with a read out of the exact calories that you have burned, how can you accurately enter calories burned during the workout into MFP? Isn't that the advantage of using a fitbit with a heart rate monitor.

What's more confusing is that I worked out this morning for 54:13 minutes starting at 7:03 am. Fitbit gave me a calorie count for this. I then go into MFP and put in 7 am, 1 hr, and the number of calories. I go back to FitBit's dash, and it lowers my tracked workout to match the percentage of 1 hour MFP workout that my 54:13 accounted for. That seems backwards.

• tmak04
    tmak04 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I just bought my first Fitbit! I have a question... I am a Phys Ed teacher so my normal activity for the day is usually pretty high. I have it synced to MFP and it say my calorie adjustment is 762 so far and its only 2:37 in the afternoon (New York) for example it says 1,820(goal) - 644(food)+ 762= 1938... I feel like that is way to much and if I eat those calories I wont lose weight... Is it something i am doing wrong? I honestly would only like for my exercise cal burned to reflect my day. Any suggestions or what I am doing wrong would be a huge help. Thanks!
  • logg1e
    Options
    I get that MFP's advice is to not log work outs with fitbit. But if you do something that isn't a cardio machine with a read out of the exact calories that you have burned, how can you accurately enter calories burned during the workout into MFP? Isn't that the advantage of using a fitbit with a heart rate monitor.

What's more confusing is that I worked out this morning for 54:13 minutes starting at 7:03 am. Fitbit gave me a calorie count for this. I then go into MFP and put in 7 am, 1 hr, and the number of calories. I go back to FitBit's dash, and it lowers my tracked workout to match the percentage of 1 hour MFP workout that my 54:13 accounted for. That seems backwards.

I think that the advice is to not log exercise in MFP. Log food in MFP and exercise in FitBit. (Wait for more experienced users to come along and confirm that though! I'm rehearsing what I think I've learned!).
  • logg1e
    Options
    tmak04 wrote: »
    Hey guys! I just bought my first Fitbit! I have a question... I am a Phys Ed teacher so my normal activity for the day is usually pretty high. I have it synced to MFP and it say my calorie adjustment is 762 so far and its only 2:37 in the afternoon (New York) for example it says 1,820(goal) - 644(food)+ 762= 1938... I feel like that is way to much and if I eat those calories I wont lose weight... Is it something i am doing wrong? I honestly would only like for my exercise cal burned to reflect my day. Any suggestions or what I am doing wrong would be a huge help. Thanks!

Have you set your Fitbit goal to lose weight?
  • tmak04
    Options
    logg1e wrote: »

No I have not! I will try that... I guess I just assumed that it would be fine with MFP
  • kelleybean81
    kelleybean81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I have this same concern. I've got it set to have my daily goal reflect a deficit but I'm "gaining" like 800 calories a day in addition to my 1440 goal. I feel like Fitbit is giving me back too much. and I feel like fitbit is giving me back too much.
  • mmerry5
    mmerry5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am pretty small. 110 lbs 5' 1.5" Just trying to maintain. When I get in about 20,000 steps my Fitbit will give me around 700 calories give or take depending on the intensity. Granted that's on a good active day, but I try to get between 12,000-20,000 steps a day. So your numbers don't seem out of the ordinary, though I don't know all the details. I have been maintaining this way for a year now. I eat back about 2/3 of my Fitbit calories usually. I try to leave some because of logging errors etc... But the numbers are all relative to your stats too. A larger person would get a higher calorie amount for the same workouts that I do.

It's just a matter of trusting your Fitbit for a month or so and keep track and see how you do. Of course this is if you have all your settings correct to lose weight etc.. You have to give it longer than a week because of weight fluctuations. Give it a good 3 weeks to a month and see if you do lose weight on track. My Fitbit numbers are working for me (when I leave just a few uneaten each day), but everyone is different and you may have to tweak things a bit.
  • tmak04
    Options
    I switched my life style to sedentary and it gave me 1500 cal per day and and with the adjustments with Fitbit it was closer to my goal of 1860 does that make sence to do that?
    mmerry5 wrote: »
    I am pretty small. 110 lbs 5' 1.5" Just trying to maintain. When I get in about 20,000 steps my Fitbit will give me around 700 calories give or take depending on the intensity. Granted that's on a good active day, but I try to get between 12,000-20,000 steps a day. So your numbers don't seem out of the ordinary, though I don't know all the details. I have been maintaining this way for a year now. I eat back about 2/3 of my Fitbit calories usually. I try to leave some because of logging errors etc... But the numbers are all relative to your stats too. A larger person would get a higher calorie amount for the same workouts that I do.

It's just a matter of trusting your Fitbit for a month or so and keep track and see how you do. Of course this is if you have all your settings correct to lose weight etc.. You have to give it longer than a week because of weight fluctuations. Give it a good 3 weeks to a month and see if you do lose weight on track. My Fitbit numbers are working for me (when I leave just a few uneaten each day), but everyone is different and you may have to tweak things a bit.

• heybales
    Options

I think that the advice is to not log exercise in MFP. Log food in MFP and exercise in FitBit. (Wait for more experienced users to come along and confirm that though! I'm rehearsing what I think I've learned!).

That does generally work better I think, because Fitbit's exercise database has a few more entries - like 3 intensities to Elliptical, which is not step based and should be manually logged.
    - And it removes one less sync that must occur, which for many is troublesome already.

@MrSharpSlim‌
    Also, to the point that after you logged a manual workout, it changed the calories in your Activity - well - that's exactly the point.

You knew the calories Fitbit estimated were wrong - so you entered a better estimate.
    So it replaced the calorie burn for that time.
    You happened to have created an activity for that time too, and since that is nothing but a view of daily stats for that block of time - yes it changed.

But really, if you knew it was wrong - wouldn't you? Why keep an activity for review down the road with incorrect calorie burn when you have a better estimate?

And why did you say it was 1 hr, when only 54 min?

Oh, side point. Machines except for treadmills that have your weight, are hardly "accurate" for calorie burn. Even elliptical - there are so many variables that there aren't even good formulas from studies, like running has since treadmills are easy by comparison.
  • heybales
    Options

No I have not! I will try that... I guess I just assumed that it would be fine with MFP

Your assumption is fine.

The weight loss goal on Fitbit has no bearing at all for the math done on MFP's site and that calorie adjustment. I'd suggest forget it.

Trying to follow 2 roads to the same goal is just a setup for aggravation. MFP for diet, Fitbit for exercise and to correct MFP estimate of daily burn.

Which is exactly what happened.

It just means that you have the MFP activity level still WAY too low for how active you really are.

Now, do confirm you selected a weight loss goal on MFP, reasonable for amount to lose.

Now unless you confirm there are a bunch of bogus steps, which would increase calorie burn, ditto's to advice above to just follow the numbers.

Unless you actually logged your eating accurately BEFORE making any changes - most people don't have a clue how much they used to eat to gain weight.
    But they make wholesale changes to diet and exercise without any idea that they used to eat so much more with doing so much less.
  • MrSharpSlim
    MrSharpSlim Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    Options

Probably the best idea. Thanks!

• karaokewife
    Options
    I'm on day three with my charge HR. I've tried logging exercise on both fitbit and MFP. I've tried only fitbit. Neither are ideal.

Logging in both places, FitBit with the button activation on the unit, and MFP manually with time indicator, has the entry showing up twice in my FitBit dashboard. Makes sense since it was logged twice.

Logging only on FitBit does not credit my calories properly. Yesterday, I had a calorie burn of 195 calories and FitBit credited me with only 19 calories on MFP.

Tomorrow I will try only MFP. I'm hoping I will still get a decent heart rate break down on my FitBit dashboard once I enter the proper times. We shall see.