What's the one thing you wish you'd known before surgery?

Options
SkinnyDevi
SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
Hi Everyone!
I'm new to this board but not to MFP. After many years of trying to lose weight, I've decided to have the VSG surgery. My surgery is scheduled for February 2nd and I've just started my pre-op diet. So far, so good. :) I'm super excited but nervous at the same time. I'm hoping to connect with some fellow VSGers and gain/give support. If you're also looking for a supportive friend, please add me!

That being said, what's the one thing you wish you'd known before surgery? Anyone out there have any regrets?

- Devi

Replies

• rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hey Devi,
    I just had my Surgery last Tuesday. I am very grateful I had it done. That day came and went so quick it was pretty amazing. I took my 12 week classes from Keiser and to be honest they answered any questions prior to me moving forward. I did have a moment right after the surgery questioning my decision. But that was because my little busy mind does that some times.
    My recovery took less than a day and 1/2 I got out of the hospital earlier than I expected. Got home and once I started walking more and getting rid of the Gas in my body I was ok.
    I am sure they warned us about that in class but I didn't remember it and yeh that was the only thing that concerned me. Luckily I had my Mom and Dad who had been through it before to guide me through the stuff I was going through. Nothing major just stuff.
    Anyway as you get closer keep in touch Maybe I can answer stuff for you. Right now I am dealing with Constipation something I wasn't expecting because of being on liquid protein for the last month. 2 weeks prior to surgery and now a week after. That parts not so bad but having this little issue was something I wasn't ready for at first.
    I could go on here and right a book but you get the idea!
    Jim
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to this journey and this super great supportive group of people! My surgery was on September 10 and things have gone pretty much to plan. Be prepared for your tastes changing after surgery, for really struggling to get your calories and fluids in, and for abdominal and shoulder pain due to the air they pump in your midsection while doing the surgery. Good luck!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was sleeved 3.5 years ago and other than losing slowly and stalling often, this has gone about the way I expected it to. The only thing I would have changed is what I was given in the hospital for nutrition after the surgery. I am more of a savory person, prefer food to sweets 99% of the time. After surgery they gave me Ungery shakes and I needed to drink two 8 ounce shakes a day. I couldn't force down one! Too sweet and too thick. If I had of known this, I would have discussed with my surgeon having Ungery beef and/or chicken broth instead. I actually had an extra day in the hospital because they were concerned about me getting no nutrition. So, if you have opreferences like that, make sure to talk to your doctor about it before you go in for surgery.
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes that was the one thing I really had to deal with was that shoulder and chest pain!
  • Maria212302
    Maria212302 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Get one of those back support pillows that let you sit up in bed. Someone told me it's called a husband pillow. It wraps around you sort of. Because in the first few weeks you have to stay sitting up for at least and hour after drinking and all you're going to want to do is lay down but you can't. That is one thing I wish I knew before I had surgery. Also invest in a few bottles of Children's liquid motrin. I went through a bottle of that a day. I felt very ill taking the liquid narcotic that was prescribed so I lived on Children's Motrin. Costco has the best deal in a 2 bottle pack. You'll need a few of those.

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Also invest in a few bottles of Children's liquid motrin. I went through a bottle of that a day. I felt very ill taking the liquid narcotic that was prescribed so I lived on Children's Motrin. Costco has the best deal in a 2 bottle pack. You'll need a few of those.

I was told no Ibuprofen at all (Motrin) and was told to use Tylenol (Acetominiphen) if needed. As usual, OP, check with your individual plan.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have no regrets, and I was well prepared by the staff of the center where my procedure was performed. I would have the surgery again, without hesitation. If there was one thing I wish I had known, it would be this: the pain meds I took after the surgery constipated my badly, the worst I've ever experienced. Over a year after the surgery, and I still take a softener daily.
  • TheBitSlinger
    Options
    I guess there's one other thing I should add. In the last year, I've added a lot of new muscle from weight lifting. Not only has my weight loss and exercise completely resolved my diabetes (I no longer take any diabetes medications), I actually have trouble now getting my BSL above 120. Even 30 minutes after a meal, my BSL will only be around 110. These days, I constantly have to think about what good snack I can have to prepare me for a workout and then what snack I should have afterwards to help with recovery. If I'm not careful, my BSL will sometimes get down in the 70s and my legs will turn to Jell-O. It's a good problem to have, I suppose, but it's not one I anticipated and was told about.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I guess there's one other thing I should add. In the last year, I've added a lot of new muscle from weight lifting.

THIS!!!!!! You will lose "weight" very rapidly, but what people mean when they say they want to lose "weight" is that they want to lose "fat"... But "weight" means fat AND muscle. You DO NOT WANT TO LOSE MUSCLE. That means get your protein (MORE THAN THEY TELL YOU) but more importantly - lift weights, or do progressive weight bearing exercise.
    -
    - Muscle consumes calories! Losing muscle is the main reason people "only" lose about 60% of their excess fat after a year or so and stall - they lose so much muscle their base metabolism gets lower, but they are able to eat more... eventually the calories in meets the (lowered) calories out. Keep up your muscle and you will lose weight more consistently longer and lose more weight in the end and more than likely meet your goal. You also will not have to worry as much about regain, as your BMR will be high enough it will be a challenge to out-eat it.
    -
    - Muscle gives your body shape! Many people who lose weight too quickly end up with a flat butt (do a search for threads on how your butt hurts to sit after WLS!) - your butt is a muscle! And they end up with skeletal shoulders and arms because the fat tends to melt from movable parts first, and unused muscle atrophies. BUT - they still end up with all the fat around the middle and hips in the end because that is generally the last place it comes off (esp women) and by then you hit your equilibrium. They are the definition of "skinny fat".
    -
    - Keep all the muscle you have. Do not wait until you lose all your weight to start a lifting or weight bearing program. It is MUCH easier to keep what you already have than to get it back once you lose it. You are carrying around an extra hundred (or whatever) pounds now, so you already have some good muscle - do not let it go! You may appear to be losing slower on the scale if you dont, but you will lose inches faster and be MUCH happier with your appearance in the end!!!
    -
    - Read up on it, get started NOW. I wasted a good year or two and went through regain and all before I learned my lesson. I really wish I had started out lifting!
    -
    - Good luck!
  • Patty2point0
    Patty2point0 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats!!!!! Right after surgery I had buyers remorse. Icod have slapped myself for actually doing this to myself- for so many reasons - mostly emotional. But day by day it all got better as I kept and renewed my resolve.

I wish you good success!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had my VSG on 11/19. I don't regret it at all. The only thing I wasn't prepared for was the constipation. I wish I had a stool softener purchased and ready when I needed it. I also found that for the first couple of weeks or so, I felt better when I slept inclined instead of flat. Thankfully I have an electric recliner sofa so I could recline but still be inclined to sleep. It helped get rid of the little bit of reflux I experienced right after surgery.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Welcome :) I have no regrets. I agree with aylajane about getting your protein in and not waiting to lift weights or do resistance training. If you don't use your muscles, you will lose them. I think that I was pretty well prepared before surgery. I wish I knew that my weight loss would quick even in the beginning but I am happy with everything. I just keep things in perspective.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    I guess there's one other thing I should add. In the last year, I've added a lot of new muscle from weight lifting.

THIS!!!!!! You will lose "weight" very rapidly, but what people mean when they say they want to lose "weight" is that they want to lose "fat"... But "weight" means fat AND muscle. You DO NOT WANT TO LOSE MUSCLE. That means get your protein (MORE THAN THEY TELL YOU) but more importantly - lift weights, or do progressive weight bearing exercise.
    -
    - Muscle consumes calories! Losing muscle is the main reason people "only" lose about 60% of their excess fat after a year or so and stall - they lose so much muscle their base metabolism gets lower, but they are able to eat more... eventually the calories in meets the (lowered) calories out. Keep up your muscle and you will lose weight more consistently longer and lose more weight in the end and more than likely meet your goal. You also will not have to worry as much about regain, as your BMR will be high enough it will be a challenge to out-eat it.
    -
    - Muscle gives your body shape! Many people who lose weight too quickly end up with a flat butt (do a search for threads on how your butt hurts to sit after WLS!) - your butt is a muscle! And they end up with skeletal shoulders and arms because the fat tends to melt from movable parts first, and unused muscle atrophies. BUT - they still end up with all the fat around the middle and hips in the end because that is generally the last place it comes off (esp women) and by then you hit your equilibrium. They are the definition of "skinny fat".
    -
    - Keep all the muscle you have. Do not wait until you lose all your weight to start a lifting or weight bearing program. It is MUCH easier to keep what you already have than to get it back once you lose it. You are carrying around an extra hundred (or whatever) pounds now, so you already have some good muscle - do not let it go! You may appear to be losing slower on the scale if you dont, but you will lose inches faster and be MUCH happier with your appearance in the end!!!
    -
    - Read up on it, get started NOW. I wasted a good year or two and went through regain and all before I learned my lesson. I really wish I had started out lifting!
    -
    - Good luck!
    THIS!! at 146 I am skinny fat and slowly rebuilding muscle. I should have done 20 min of wt training every day-especially abs and butt
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    And, sadly I knew better :s
  • TheBitSlinger
    Options

The good news is that we do not have to be defined by failures or misses. :)

• ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've known better about a lot of things but that didn't stop me from denial about getting too heavy, not exercising enough or taking better care of myself. As a nurse I've had collage courses in nutrition, anatomy, physiology, bio chemistry and much more.
    Yet, here I am with you wonderful people going through the same things, I knew better too. I do hear you and will get more into exercise ASAP.
    Bottom line give your self a break.

Randy
  • SkinnyDevi
    SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the advice and encouragement. This has certainly been an interesting process with a lot of time spent contemplating the decision. Having never had any type of major medical procedure before, I think the concept of getting on the table scares me the most. Knowing what to expect certainly helps balance that fear! Thanks again!
    -Devi
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    THIS!! at 146 I am skinny fat and slowly rebuilding muscle. I should have done 20 min of wt training every day-especially abs and butt

While it wont be as easy now, it is never to late to start. The old saying something about the best time to start weight lifting is a year ago. The next best time is now.

I did the same thing - got stuck at 145 for a year, then gained back 20 pounds (eating 1700 calories a day), then started weight training (heavy! progressive!) and lost back the 20 plus 15 more in 6 months, and now maintain my weight (5'5" - 130 pounds) on over 2000 calories a day. Muscle burns calories!!! if you never do a single cardio exercise again, you will still get to eat more and not gain weight if your base muscle is higher! It makes a HUGE difference.