Barbell row form? And rest....

Options
2»

Replies

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    My boobs get in the way of my rows and I do find it annoying. But the one nice thing about having your back parallel to the floor is I find I can feel my hamstrings working too.

I don't have enough left of those to get in the way!

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Rows, I hate rows, rest I like rest.
    I tend to do a bunch of upstairs house work or photo editing between sets. I must admit sometimes it will cause me to get distracted and have 5 minute + rest periods.
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi, I don't know if it's just me because I'm closer to the ground, but all of my rows have my back/torso parallel to the ground and my bumpers are always hitting floor before the next rep. I always thought bent-over rows were characterized by that parallel, but this thread now has me thinking about all the different row variations out there. So I guess I've been doing pendlays this whole time... :\ Does anybody use a raised platform to do their rows/DLs with?
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Just want to point out the program calls for pendlay rows not bent over rows.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    The grit strength class I attend on occasion has rows but they are with much lighter weights and not as bent over with instruction to pull towards stomach. Those are different than what the program calls for, definitely.

I do pendlay now but earlier was not doing that version because the set up required a bit more hassle since I'm still no where near doing 135, which means stacking plates in order to get the bar set to the right height. I have, however, used the platform at my gym to do rows but not the pendlay as it's not at the right height for that. It gave me a place to rest the bar then I'd lift it, inch back a bit, then do the lift, no touching on the ground or anything else. It was kinda fun cause the little metal platform is the only time I can pretend to be tall. lol But now I'm really trying to keep to the as noted above program recommendation of pendlay.
  • clyn27
    clyn27 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    ok here is a question for ya. I just started and the weights I am using are still small so it feels just wrong to set it all the way back down to the floor, same with deadlifts. I feel like my form gets a little iffy when I try to set it back on the floor because the weights are not big enough to elevate the bar very high off the ground. What to do until I move up to taller weights?
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I definitely recommend finding a way to get the bar higher. Right now for rows I stack a 45 plate and a smaller plate, either 25 or 10 (though a 35 would work instead of the 45, just depends what is lying around and accessible). This way even with the 10's, as I failed again at 95 so had to drop the weight lower, have a better height. Stacking extra plates is also helpful on deadlifts but hopefully you'll be able to move up faster on those. I was so happy to get 135 just because it meant no more stacking plates to do the lift.

You could also do a different form of row (not touching ground) if you can't get a set up with boxes, plates or anything like that, if necessary.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    So, have I been wrong in thinking we're pulling to our lower chest? Should I have been pulling to stomach all this time?
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    No, I think for the pendlay you do pull to the chest. Pretty sure the videos of big guys lifting the big plates shows them going to the chest. But I would have to look again to be completely certain.

In the grit strength class, most people are only doing 20-30 lbs total (some just 10) and the bar weighs close to nothing. It's a different type of row as you don't go near the ground and you don't lean over as far. My issue there is like my chest, my stomach can get in the way cause it sticks out as I'm still well in the "obese" category and lot of my weight is there so in class I tend to pull to my chest to get more range of motion going on that particular type of row. But that's not for SL.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every horizontal push or pull exercise I tend to just go with lower chest as a general rule. Seems to be where my shoulders are the happiest (and just like the bench press, you want your elbows squeezed in at your sides and not out wide). As for grip width, it's really up to you. I like using just slightly wider than shoulder width. Pretty much my clean grip (also like to throw in a few sets with hook grip from time to time. It's a slightly different feel)

I would be too lazy to stack plates if I didn't have access to bumper plates. The difference between the barbell row and pendlay is minimal anyway. Just make sure you don't strain your lower back and try not to use hip momentum. Trying to pull the bar "through" you is also a nice way to get some more activation.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I put to the chest -- basically to the bottom of my bra.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Phew, cool. It's just in those photos it looked as though she's pulling to her stomach. When I look again, I could convince myself she's going low chest.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yes, I now am pulling to the bottom of my bra too, and it's way better than when I was trying to pull to the top of my chest. Stupid boobs. :smiley: