SCD Yogurt

Options
JaimeNJ
JaimeNJ Posts: 51 Member
What milk do you use? I've been using full fast while milk, but I'm wondering if I'd lose any nutrition benefits by switching to something with less fat?

Replies

• kazzicles
    kazzicles Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use full fat whole milk - I figure the less it's processed the better. I tried making yoghurt from almond milk but it was an epic fail (three strikes and I gave up) plus the sludge I did make tasted foul so I figured I'd stick with the delicious stuff.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    Don't fear the fat!
  • JaimeNJ
    Options
    LOL. Ok. I figured this is probably best anyway. Also, I tried rice milk so that I could make safe yogurt for my son with allergies, and it was a complete waste of time, energy, and ingredients. It never formed into anything.
  • kazzicles
    Options
    I had disasters with almond milk - but am making my second batch of coconut milk yoghurt because the first batch was actually quite palatable! Batch 2 I'm using coconut cream and a little less gelatin to see how that goes. As much as I want to get rid of my symptoms (I'm having a serious OVER IT day today) I'm secretly hoping that removing dairy isn't the way forward for me.
  • kazzicles
    Options
    Just an update on this - the coconut cream yoghurt did not work out - I think I was meant to blend it again at the end, which I didn't realise - the top part was like eating straight cake icing but not as delicious as it sounds and the bottom was runny.

I really do struggle with what gelatin does to the texture. I'm back on milk yoghurt :)
  • JaimeNJ
    Options
    I tried rice milk, and it was a total fail. Didn't know about using gelatin. Sounds complicated.