artificial sweeteners... opinions?

Options
astridtheviking
astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
Hey guys! I’m an intern teacher this semester so that means early mornings for me! I’m a night owl, so it’s really hard for me to force myself to get up at 5:30 or 6 and be ready for school. I’ve given up coffee because I like it sweet and white, which is way too many calories for me that early in the morning, and sugar leaves me with cravings and feeling out of sorts all day. With the tough mornings, though, I’ve been needing something to give me enough energy to finish the day, since I almost always come home and want to nap. I don’t mind my coffee with a little almond milk but it’s the sugar I really need to get rid of the bitterness of it! I’ve thought about trying a stevia sweetener and don’t mind the flavor, but I’m a little hung up wondering about the effects artificial sweeteners might have on our bodies due to other added ingredients. However, my local grocery store has Sweet Leaf, which claims to add no additional ingredients.

What do you guys think of stevia? Does it invalidate an otherwise clean diet? Is it worth a try if it helps me at work?

Replies

• rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Being a huge coffee drinker myself, I've opted to limit the amount of coffee I drink since I also lime it light and sweet.
    I use 1 tsp of organic sugar and 2 Tbsp organic 1/2 & 1/2 in my first cup and then switch to 2% the rest of the day w/ 1 tsp sugar the rest of the day. I find I don't crave it as much since it's not as sweet.
    Artificial sweeteners give me a headache. I've heard mixed things about Stevie and have not tried it yet. Good luck w/ your internship. I taught elementary school for 20 years:)
  • nnishida
    nnishida Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I discovered using soy creamer and Stevias in my coffee. Soy creamer has a lot less calories then regular creamer. Stevia adds just enough sweetness
  • My1ittlefattie
    My1ittlefattie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey love! So I've gotten into the habit of taking my coffee with only milk which lightens up the coffee enough where I didn't need the sugar. I especially do this at Starbucks. I'll order a tall coffee in a grande cup and fill er up with milk. So so good.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Look into xylitol. I get it at vitacost.com. was recommended by my doctor. You can cook, bake or use like regular sweetener. Claims "clinical studies have shown that the use of xylitol ... may reduce the risk of tooth decay and improve overall dental health"
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners. I find that Stevia messes with my blood sugar. Vitamin B and Ginseng are great natural ways to get energy. If you need the caffeine, try Runa Tea or The Republic of Tea has Hi-Caf Teas.
  • samiraeh08
    samiraeh08 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    No to soy and no to stevia! Soy is known to elevate estrogen levels which is super bad for you! It can cause breast cancer and other issues. Stevia can lower your metabolism and upset your digestion. Try green tea instead of coffee and maybe see your doctor about your energy issues.
  • samiraeh08
    samiraeh08 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    P.S. Green tea with honey is delicious and sweet, and honey has complex carbs so it will not turn into fat as easily as sugar. Plus green tea is know to speed up your metabolism.
  • Chelsea_O
    Chelsea_O Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I will second the green tea suggestion. I'm trying to move away from coffee and I haven't liked anything else I've tried as much as green tea. When I do give in and get coffee I use stevia.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't eat soy. 90 something percent of the soy is genetically modified and it is known to elevate estrogen levels which can cause all types of problems. Drink your coffee with just a little bit less sugar and some organic milk instead. Also, chia bars are great little pick me ups for needing a little boost of energy!
  • Dee_Marie01
    Dee_Marie01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying to switch from coffee with sugar and cream at the office to tea. I picked up agave nectar instead of honey because I wanted to try a sweetener that was lower calorie and thinner than honey but still sweet. I really like it!
  • agreen682
    Options
    I could never do my coffee with milk, always had to be cream. But I recently got a milk frother (which works best with fat free milk) and I can't tell you how happy I am with it! I have no problem skipping the cream now. And right now I do 2tsp of sugar in my coffee, still looking for something else that isn't artificial and low cal.
  • texasmom2013
    texasmom2013 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Coconut sugar is lower glycemic so it won't raise your blood sugar as much as regular sugar and it tastes good.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Look into xylitol. I get it at vitacost.com. was recommended by my doctor. You can cook, bake or use like regular sweetener. Claims "clinical studies have shown that the use of xylitol ... may reduce the risk of tooth decay and improve overall dental health"

I'll have to try that. I just gave up Splenda and switched to Stevia. It was a little bit of a taste adjustment but I'm fine with it now. I don't do coffee cause I couldn't do it without creamer so I gave it up and I'm not dependent on caffeine but I do enjoy my ice tea and can't drink it plain.