HEADACHE HELL :(

Options
Ok, after my complete kids birthday binge last weekend, I started anew on Mon. I have a WHOPPER of a headache since yesterday.
Iv taken a chicken cube this morning to get my salt up..but no difference :(
Any advice ??

Replies

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    More water, more salt, more potassium, more magnesium. Could be diet related, as in low electrolytes, or could actually be a sinus headache...this time of year being prime time if you are in winter where you live.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Also, fat, fat, fat. I'm struggling off and on right now with mild headaches (on day 7) which seem mostly due to dehydration (despite drinking an average of 125 ounces of water a day. The broth helps me a lot, but yesterday, which I didn't get as much fat as I needed, I got dehydrated around early afternoon and struggled until bed. I'm still recouping this morning, but I'm fat bombing myself (clouds so far)...and it is helping! Good luck.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    More fat and more food in general. Monday and today have been rather light, and that doesn't help your cause. Yesterday was pretty much perfect.

Also, I'm not above taking some Ibuprofen for short term dealing with the headache, especially since I know it's from inflammation caused by the sugar/flour binge, and I may only need one dose in a day and only for maybe 2-3 days until my body stops freaking out (I'm a software developer, so a headache tanks my productivity and my ability to work).
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Today is Day 8, and I have a killer killer killer headache. I ate same as I have been, added some broth and a cloud and I'm still in "headache" hell. I'm wondering if this is one of the adjustment periods as my body readjusts to me still eating this way... Someone told me it is days 2-3, 7-8, 14, and 28, that these are around the average "carb flu" days/periods as your body readjusts to having low carbs/high fats. Please tell me this is what it is, as I've no other reason for such a massive headache. I've taken ibuprofen so it doesn't get super overwhelming, but anything to head this off at the pass is greatly appreciated.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? You could very possibly be dehydrated.
  • fantasticelastic
    fantasticelastic Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain Knitormiss. I started last week and have had whopper of headache for last few days. So bad it made me feel sick. Also hubby and kids giving out to me about being a cranky b*tch.
    Headache not so bad today so hoping Im over the worst of it.
  • jmarton1977
    jmarton1977 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had carb flu for a good week. It's rough, but it will pass. I remember feeling like a fog had lifted from my brain once I finally got through it. Keep on keeping on!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I've only had mild headaches until yesterday, really. I've been utterly shocked. Last time it was absolute hell, so I gave in quickly. I'm averaging between 120-130 ounces of water and broth a day. My current weight fluctuates between 250-255... I think my current water intake is recommended at 128.5 oz. I feel like my mouth is slightly "thirsty-ish" semi-frequently, but if I drink any more water, I feel waterlogged and very not well...
  • JojoBeales74
    JojoBeales74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm into second week but have had issues with arthritis drugs giving me headaches and lfhc giving me headaches so stopped my meds under dr's orders and still I've got headaches! Feel better on some respects and worse in others. Just got to remember it will be ok soon.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    From my experience you need to try upping your sodium (bullion cubes) and fats (cream cheese clouds are awesome for this). That is what I do to stave off my headaches. I increase my water and if its really bad I'll take otc headache meds.

There could be far more going on but I'm in week two also and it always helps me.
  • mcneilnomore
    mcneilnomore Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My personal experience has been "an avocado a day keeps the headaches a way". I get no carb flu if I eat one a day sprinkled with salt.
  • missmurielw
    missmurielw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ok, after my complete kids birthday binge last weekend, I started anew on Mon. I have a WHOPPER of a headache since yesterday.
    Iv taken a chicken cube this morning to get my salt up..but no difference :(
    Any advice ??

Perhaps a potassium deficiency ?
  • angela_carreen
    angela_carreen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I went slowly into ketosis. I skipped the flu, but I need a very high amount of magnesium everyday to function properly. Everyone has a different amount of nutrients their body needs. Try different amount of things until you find your sweet spot. I'm sorry you're in pain.
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    First time i got into ketosis i had a headache (dull) that literally lasted two weeks. But now that my body seems to understand it will not die and it's shortened up to a few days if i cheat heavy and then get back to keto. TLDR; it's normal and it will go away LOL

feel better
    Jen