The Wonderland Trail (around Mt Rainier)

Options
kasaz
kasaz Posts: 274 Member
Has anyone backpacked this trail? I signed up with Sierra Club to hike it next September. I'm on the waiting list, but I think I might be first on the waiting list so I need to be ready. I've read a lot about it. Previously I figured I'd hike it with friends, but then so many of them quit backpacking that I just figured it wouldn't happen. I decided if I want to do it I'd need to find another way. Just wanting to hear about others experiences.

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm on the other side of the country in NY, so no idea!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have not back-packed that trail. The closest I've come was that I day-hiked at Mt. Rainier in late May earlier this year. There was at that time a great difference between higher and lower elevations as far as temperatures and snow vs. rain/water. I'm just guessing here, but I think early September would be fairly ideal weather (maybe getting more 'wintry' in late September).

Obviously you will need a bear barrel and bear spray. I don't think there are very many, but I understand that there are some grizzlies in that area. There are definitely black bears as well. Depending on your knowledge/experience in bear country, you may want to read up about bears knowing that grizzlies are much larger and generally more aggressive than black bears. Some grizzlies appear black, and some black bears are "blonde" and appear to be brown, so don't rely on color - look for the hump.

Finally, it would be logical that if you end up going, you can get information from the trip leader. I've always found the Sierra Club (at least in my area) to be well organized, so I'm sure they can give you some information about how to prepare for the trip.

Also, how long is the trip? If you go, be safe and have fun.
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've not backpacked Wonderland, but I've hiked sections of it as day hikes and done lots of hiking in general on and around Rainier. Have you seen Tami Asars' new book: "Hiking the Wonderland Trail"?

Early September is a great time of year on Rainier. There will be huckleberries and blueberries to snack on. Once you get past the middle of September, however, snow is increasingly likely at some of the higher elevations on the trail such as Panhandle Gap (which is absolutely beautiful, by the way).

I want to respond to this:

Obviously you will need a bear barrel and bear spray. I don't think there are very many, but I understand that there are some grizzlies in that area. There are definitely black bears as well. Depending on your knowledge/experience in bear country, you may want to read up about bears knowing that grizzlies are much larger and generally more aggressive than black bears. Some grizzlies appear black, and some black bears are "blonde" and appear to be brown, so don't rely on color - look for the hump.

There are *no* grizzly bears anywhere near Mt. Rainier. There are indeed black bears, but they are not a problem unless you do not properly store food. You will want to be prepared, for sure, but they are not aggressive (unless of course you try to harass a mamma bear with a cub).
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I read in the Sierra Club info that we will be camping in sites with bear lockers, so we don't need to carry our food in bear vaults. I have seen both black bears in Sequoia and a grizzly in Glacier last year. It was quite a thrill. Also when I backpacked in Yosemite we did have to carry bear vaults. I'll be starting to train especially doing some hiking with a backpack to be ready in case I get to go.

I have an older book written by Bette Filley I believe, but I plan to order the Tami Asars' book.

Thanks for your responses.

Karen
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've not backpacked Wonderland, but I've hiked sections of it as day hikes and done lots of hiking in general on and around Rainier. Have you seen Tami Asars' new book: "Hiking the Wonderland Trail"?

Early September is a great time of year on Rainier. There will be huckleberries and blueberries to snack on. Once you get past the middle of September, however, snow is increasingly likely at some of the higher elevations on the trail such as Panhandle Gap (which is absolutely beautiful, by the way).

I want to respond to this:

There are *no* grizzly bears anywhere near Mt. Rainier. There are indeed black bears, but they are not a problem unless you do not properly store food. You will want to be prepared, for sure, but they are not aggressive (unless of course you try to harass a mamma bear with a cub).

Yep, sorry, I must have been thinking of somewhere else.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I would love to someday but I am on the other side of the country!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    No you won't nee bear canisters. There are poles & lockers available and plenty of them. They make sure you don't leave your food unattended , so make sure you hang it or you will be fined.
    I'm will be doing the Wonderland Trail at the end of August.... perhaps we will cross paths.