Net Carbs??

Options
soechsner09
soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
Hello keto friends! I tried searching around for my answer on here but didn't see it, so if this has been covered I apologize ... when doing keto do you count overall carbs or net carbs? I have just been counting carbs straight up, but I've seen others doing net carbs? I've read that doing keto you don't use net carbs but you do on other forms of low carb diets. Can someone explain this for me? Please and thank you! :smile:

Replies

• AnthonyGardunoSB
    AnthonyGardunoSB Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. Should i be looking at "net carbs"? and if so how do you calculate?
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think it's a YMMV (your mileage may vary) kind of thing. I've been doing this on/off (more on) since the late 90's, and I shift into ketosis and lose best when I count total carbs and try to keep it at 20 grams (the old Atkins Induction levels). That being said, if I exceed 20 and it's because of good, green leafies, I don't sweat it.

When I try to count net carbs, I find myself bargaining and consuming faux foods (bars, low carb replacements, etc.), subtracting sugar alcohols and any other little tricks I've heard about recently to make my carb count seem better. Doesn't work for me. Best for me to keep to fats and meats w/ some veggies thrown in as I crave them. I'm currently keeping things low on the total carb front for a few weeks until I'm firmly planted in Keto land again, and will slowly increase veggies and occasionally low carb fruit
    until I'm consistently in the 20-30 gram (total) range.

My body really likes to be in ketosis, so the quicker I shift gears and reach that state, the better for me. Using this approach I'm usually testing dark purple on my ketostix within 24-48 hours. Ketostix may not be the most precise indicator, but it worked for me when I started Atkins in '98 and it's a good enough tool for me now. ;-)
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I agree with tru2one. I find I do better overall if I just stick to total carbs. If I start counting net carbs, then I find I'm sneaking things into my diet that probably don't belong there.
  • soechsner09
    Options
    I agree it's a much more simple way to go with total carbs. I was looking at grabbing an Atkins shake to keep on hand for if I'm running late in the mornings, and it said something like 2 net carbs ... I flip it over and it actually had 17 carbs! Big difference to me. I think I'll just stick with the tried and true. Thanks for the input!
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I count net carbs, mostly because I am a pro-veggie type. I don't do sugar alcohols or packaged foods - I think it all boils down to personal preference.
  • soechsner09
    Options
    I count net carbs, mostly because I am a pro-veggie type. I don't do sugar alcohols or packaged foods - I think it all boils down to personal preference.

That's a good point. How do you calculate net carbs on these items?
  • KetoCutie
    Options
    Subtract the fiber from the carb total. For instance, avocado *(technically a fruit) has 12 grams of carbohydrates, but a whopping 10 grams of fiber. If you look at it you're only getting 2 grams of "usable" carbs - and a magnificent 21 carbs of healthy delicious fats.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    I stick to total carbs, but I also don't eat "lo-carb" pre-packaged food items(currently anyway), so my carbs all come from dairy/veg(leafy and cruciferous) so it's not that hard.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Subtract the fiber from the carb total. For instance, avocado *(technically a fruit) has 12 grams of carbohydrates, but a whopping 10 grams of fiber. If you look at it you're only getting 2 grams of "usable" carbs - and a magnificent 21 carbs of healthy delicious fats.

"and a magnificent 21 carbs of healthy delicious fats. "

21 grams you mean? Someone has carbs on the brain............. ;)
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    FAQ's and guides about keto should all officially say to use net carbs I believe, but be smart about it. Eat your veggies and for the most part you're good there (with green ones typically, others have a bit more sugar in them), but be wary of "artificial" type products that tell you they have 30g carbs but only 2g net. If you're new to keto I'd absolutely stay away from those things, and the Atkins brand products I'd probably stay away from forever, most of them use Malitol which is really really crappy. Once you're keto adapted if you want to experiment with things like that to learn how your body reacts go for it.

Personally I use net carbs, because I feel better when I get my fiber in, via veggies and chia seeds. So my goal is just 20 net carbs, and ~25g fiber a day, so I'm getting 35-45g "total" carbs a day, but technically my goal is 20g net or less at all times.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I just posted a spreadsheet with fruits & net carbs. I'll make another for the veggies too.

See this post for the Net Carbs.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just a note, lots of carb counts you find on the internet when you look up a food...are already net carbs...they've already done the calculations for you. That grinds my gears. I also do old school carb counting.
  • KetoCutie
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

"and a magnificent 21 carbs of healthy delicious fats. "

21 grams you mean? Someone has carbs on the brain............. ;)

LOL! Yes! I meant grams :)
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's been specifically said but,

Net Carbs = Total Carbs - Fiber - Sugar Alcohols (if any)

Atkins is the only place I really see the Net Carb limits stressed. The Atkins products are completely gimmicky and go against everything I think Atkins himself ever intended. I won't touch the Atkins shakes, but I do usually keep the EAS carb control shakes on hand for the convenience. They truly are only 2 net carbs with 5 total (3 fiber and no sugar alcohols).