New to group and MFP and need DVD advice, please!

Options
alip253
alip253 Posts: 7 Member
Hi all! I am new to the group and relatively new to MFP - joined in January to track food after being disappointed with the FitBit tracking.

I am very interested in walking with you all and with but have no idea where to start! I have two main questions (one easy, one hard!) The easy one: I've been walking on a treadmill, is this treadmill walking, and do I need much space?

The harder one: What DVD or DVDs are best?

I'm 43, and would like to lose 10 pounds; I struggle with too much physical activity because I have MS and walking is perfect for me! (As long as my balance is ok :wink: )

Thanks for any insights you can provide for me! I'll be hitting Amazon this evening with your recommendations in mind!

Happy walking!

Alison P. in (snowy) PA

Replies

• christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hi Alison...a lot depends on your fitness level and goals. The treadmill is a definite yes; it counts as walking and I believe Leslie has alluded to using a treadmill herself at times. You don't need to have a lot of space to do LS's walks. Just enough to take 2-4 steps in any direction. As to DVDs Leslie has over 100 to pick from...beginner, intermediate, and advanced. I would recommend her new one Walk Off Fat Fast-it has a 20 min beginner walk, a 30 min intermediate walk, and a 40 min advanced walk all one DVD. All are fat burning. Ultimate 5 Day Walk Plan has 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 mile walks with body sculpting segments added on. You can follow LS's preprogrammed walk plan or customize your workout to suit your own needs. Ultimate Walk Away The Pounds collection has her 1, 2, 3, and 4 mile Walk Away workouts on one DVD. The prices are pretty reasonable at Amazon or try taking some out of your local library to see what you like.That's enough to get you
    started. If I can help further please message me or add me as a friend. Happy shopping!!!
  • saxony55
    saxony55 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello Alison,
    You can also check out www.collagevideo.com. This site is awesome because you can select Leslie as an instructor and then filter down to the type of video you want! Happy shopping.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,585 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group Alison!

I can't improve much on what Christchick7 and saxony55 have posted. Lot's of good advice here.

Hope you'll join the monthly walk challenge. We're a supportive bunch of enablers, haha.

Walk strong!
    Ann
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the group but not to MFP. I've done some LS videos and still do once in a while. I'd love to jump in on the upcoming March challenge. I've done 62+ miles this month and 85 last month. I'd like to step it up (no pun intended) next month.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    saxony55 wrote: »
    Hello Alison,
    You can also check out www.collagevideo.com. This site is awesome because you can select Leslie as an instructor and then filter down to the type of video you want! Happy shopping.

This!^ Video clips are really helpful. Totalfitnessdvds.com is another site with lots of video clips.

Do you have a local library that rents videos? Maybe a Family video store. Can you use Netflix (by mail) for a couple of months?

Too many variables to pick a best one. Some people like Leslie solo, I prefer a group. Some people like higher impact moves (raises hand) other people want all lower impact. "Boosted walking" is code for higher impact. I like a music only option (gives a DVD a longer shelf life for me)....others don't care. I do like the older group of walkers (Walk Away the Pounds-WATP) but....the music is too quiet on most of those DVDs. WATP comes in nice compilation packages, you can get several workouts that way. WATP videos were originally on VHS they won't be chaptered. To make a 4 mile workout shorter you would use the fast forward....and not the skip button.

My favorite Leslie videos (and why):
    I second the 5 Day Walk Plan mentioned by Christchick- Pros: The new studio is really pretty (look for the Just Walk series). There are 5 programmable miles plus some light strength training - nice variety. There is a music only option - nice for a change of pace. Cons: 5 programmable miles - that means you build speed in any mile, but then you go a bit slower when the next mile starts. Group of walkers is all new. I miss Leslie's old gang.

WATP Walk Strong (not Express) - this is a circuit workout. You walk for awhile, then stop and do strength training, then walk some more...etc. Pros: 1/2 hour is my favorite workout length. Smart design (upper body/lower body) helps keep my heart rate up. Some of my favorite background exercisers. Cons: The music is too quiet. The set is odd - like an Italian restaurant.

3 Mile Weight Loss Walk - my first Leslie & I still use it. Pros: Mile 2 is challenging (and lead by Maryanne). Chaptered. Uses lightweights during walk (nice change). Set is bright & music is pretty good. Cons: One of the backgrounders appears to be uncomfortable. He would rather be anywhere else. The set is fairly bland.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi Alison,
    I am Mary aka PinkyPan from snowy Ohio. LOL I personally would suggest that you try Leslie's Walk Away The Pounds. The first and last mile are the longest and slowest. Low impact and both are 24 minute miles versus her 15 minute miles. I am not a fan of the most recent walking videos which are of a higher impact with a lot of bouncing and twisting. I have to improvise at times due to my limitations. The newer walks appear to be aimed towards a younger and fit crowd. I miss the old gang too.

To quote Teabea..."3 Mile Weight Loss Walk - my first Leslie & I still use it. Pros: Mile 2 is challenging (and lead by Maryanne). Chaptered. Uses lightweights during walk (nice change). Set is bright & music is pretty good. Cons: One of the backgrounders appears to be uncomfortable. He would rather be anywhere else. The set is fairly bland."
    This walk took me sometime to master. Maryanne's mile is a much faster pace and higher impact. Here is my take on the guy named Vance in the background walking. He is quite a large man and he managed to keep up with this group of women. This 3 mile walk was the first walk I came across when looking for walking videos. Because of this man I decided to give it a try. He inspired me. I was in poor health and weak and I thought to myself if he could do it...I sure could. And I started walking and I have never looked back. It has been a year and not only have I lost weight (22lbs) but I have regained my health.

There are so many videos to choose from and I am sure you can find one that suits your needs. There are a few on YouTube and Leslie has her own website that once you sign in you can choose from I believe 5 different walks.

We have a great walking group that would love to have you join us. We set an individual goal each month and cheer each other as we post our walks.

I wish you much success with your weight loss and encourage to just walk and walk proud.

• toomanireasons
    Options
    Search you tube videos first and try out different ones until the find the ones that you enjoy or that motivate you, or maybe videos that do not annoy you ( some walk at home and other work out type DVD's are almost irritating to me as the people on them do not seem real.)