Weigh-ins: daily? Weekly? Average?

Options
awasko1218
awasko1218 Posts: 15 Member
Ok, this may be a strange question, but has anyone tried weighing themselves every day and then averaging once a week for the "official" log? I'm considering doing this just because it seems my weight is so crazy, how do I know if It just happens to be high or low on the day I happen to weigh myself? I thought maybe if I took an average, it would be more accurate. Thoughts?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, and let Trendweight.com do all the math for me. It syncs with your Fitbit or Withings account.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday (or try to) and then look at the trends over time. I also like data points so I figure the more data, the better. Plus, it allows me to account for monthly cycle issues as well.

But I'd only suggest that if the person knows that daily fluctuations won't freak her/him out. If she/he tends to freak out over that sort of stuff, weighing less often is probably better.
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When I first started I'd weigh every day -which ended up being a roller coaster of expecting a good result and being shattered or the reverse. Now I 'check-in' once a week (with my weight on the day) but, weigh a couple of times in between to see how things are going. I hadn't really thought about averaging it out though.
    An average of weights would probably be kinder to self esteem as it smooths out the daily fluctuations but, it would take more effort than I'm willing to make. I reckon I'll stick with my usual routine.
  • awasko1218
    awasko1218 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all...I am going to try weighing in every day. If I start getting frustrated or depressed, I will stop. Oddly enough, I think I have higher expectations when I weigh in weekly and keep getting disappointed. I think if I just do it as a habit daily it won't play with my head as much. Editorgrrl...checking out trendweight next. Thanks!
  • deanna418
    deanna418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I weigh daily, and let Trendweight.com do all the math for me. It syncs with your Fitbit or Withings account.

Which scale do you have that will work with Trendweight? Right now I just have a regular scale. It just does weight and it is accurate. The scale I used to have I'd get three different readings when I weighed myself. lol

• slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a weigh in since starting back. I plan to start it on Saturday or Sunday, after a full week of counting calories and working out properly.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice per week and record it. If I do it any more frequently than that, I find I can get too discouraged with my fluctuations in weight.
  • Sandra_Curtis
    Sandra_Curtis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I weigh every few days, but only log when I see a smaller number. Lol. I've been at it for almost a year and I personally hate seeing the fluctuations. (But I have lost over 58lbs!)
    48801 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself since I started MFP. I know that I lost water weight. I have no idea if I lost body weight. I see my doctor every 3 months, this is when I will weigh in.

I find if I weigh myself daily or weekly, I get discouraged and want to give up. Scales are evil;-)))
  • Rwtmo
    Rwtmo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates a lot and it can be discouraging, but I'm also a scientist and like the idea of daily data records! So I've found a great solution.... I have a Withings scale that automatically logs my daily weight but I step on them before putting my glasses on in the morning :D Thus I have a daily record of my weight but only need to look at the numbers once a week or less, on the website.

I also use an android app called Libra which syncs with the Withings website and presents the data nicely with trends and averages.
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I also use Trendweight, I don't have a Fitbit Aria/Withings but I have a Fitbit Flex so I log my weight daily (or most days) on my Fitbit account. Fitbit and MFP are synced so Fitbit automatically sends my new weight over. Trendweight is great, it is actually encouraging because it can be hard to see through minor fluctuations and discouraging if the scale doesn't change much once a week, but this shows you the trend and gives averages, like how much you're losing per week.