kETONIX ( Ketone tester breathalyzer)

Options
petr8888
petr8888 Posts: 47 Member
I have been using Ketostix. I see many people using blood tests but I don't really like the idea of jabbing myself daily to monitor myself. I found Ketonix for $100 that does this based on breath analysis. Anybody here have experience with it?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I have one. It's ok for basically determining if you're producing ketones. It can give you a rough guess as to how many (little, some, lots) but there's not a strict relationship to blood ketones.

You'll trade off some accuracy for ease of testing. Also, mine takes FOREVER to start up each time. I'm talking 7-15 minutes. It's crazy.
  • petr8888
    Options
    Fit Goat
    Thanks very much.

I think I can live with the trade off between accuracy and the daily blood letting.

On the warm up - I beleive it is USB power. I don't see the big ssue here - the testing is not urgent so the warm up does not seem like a big problem to me.

Peter
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to see where this discussion goes, from people with experience. I use the stix, but only because I am still bopping in and out of ketosis, so using the stix after a binge I can see when I've gotten myself back on track. However, I am looking to make Keto my longterm WOE and have read that the stix lose value, as the longer you are in ketosis, the more efficient your body is at metabolizing ketones and what is expelled in urine is not always accurate (that's my mosh poshed view at least). Since I am a visual person, I like the color affirmations and would probably appreciate switching to the breathalyzer, but really not interested in the blood meter (though completely support those folks who use it for accuracy and complete data.).

I'm certainly not at the point where I need the breathalyzer, but interested to read other's experiences/etc.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    DAM, that is correct --- since the Ketostix only measure (a) ketones in your urine not blood and (b) excess/waste ketones, you could be in ketosis and still show negative on the stix.
    Even if they were a reliable indicator of ketosis, using them post-binge (carb binge?) as you have been probably is not the best long-term strategy for success. Could lead to a detrimental sin:guilt:penance spiral.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    DAM5412 wrote: »
    I'm interested to see where this discussion goes, from people with experience. I use the stix,

I'm certainly not at the point where I need the breathalyzer, but interested to read other's experiences/etc.

I've only ever used the ketostix. Started Atkins back in the late 90's and that was all that was widely available at the time. I am well aware that there are more accurate ways to measure, but I guess it's enough for me to know that when my stix turn colors I'm burning fat. I've not experienced lower readings on the stix as I progress in the WOE, they tend to stay the same unless my carbs dramatically increase for some reason.

I guess I can see the benefit in using the blood meter (which I have, just too cheap to buy the strips) or the ketonix machine if you're totally stalled and need a more precise evaluation of the level of ketosis your body is operating in, however I personally have not felt the need. When I stall, I can usually pinpoint the reason pretty easily: carb creep, decrease in physical activity, insufficient fat intake, or even just my body needing to regroup after losses before it can keto on.

Just like I don't take the scale too seriously, I don't take the ketostix too seriously either. How do I feel? How are my clothes fitting? Am I noticing inappropriate carby cravings? For me these are the best indicators of my level of ketosis.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I bought one. Why? Because at the first few weeks after reading everyone's posts about the "Keto flu", I never got it. So I though I never reached adaptation. In hindsight, since I hadn't fully understood what it took to adapt, I was eating way too many carbs for the first month or so. So I probably avoided the Keto flu because I didn't severely restrict my carbs.

After I restricted to the under 25g carbs, I was adapted, because I had all the other "anecdotal" evidence. And I was water fasting, which will really gave me assurance. But I still wondered because all ths was new to me, and I am an engineer, I like gadjets & testing, so I ordered one.

When I got my meter, it always checked in the normal Keto range. When I fasted, it went extremely high. I would check periodically and every time it was good. You do have to check at the proper time after eating, not too soon afterwards and not too late (Goldilocks). And you have to follow their instructions on how to blow into the thing to the "T", or you might not get a proper reading.

Knowing what I know now, if I were a person just starting on Keto and was reading this now, I would NOT buy a meter (sorry Ketonix). You can save the money, by strictly adhering to the daily carb & protein gram count. Meaning, people in 1922 (when the Ketogenic diet was first studied) they didn't have any modern methods like we do now. They weighed their food and avoided "high carb" foods and they adapted.

Save your money and buy a digital scale. Stay under 25g carbs for at least a month, then you will be adapted. After you are adapted, some people can relax the carbs to under 50, with occasional spurts above that. That's my anecdotal opinion.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    DAM5412 wrote: »
    I'm interested to see where this discussion goes, from people with experience. I use the stix, but only because I am still bopping in and out of ketosis, so using the stix after a binge I can see when I've gotten myself back on track. However, I am looking to make Keto my longterm WOE and have read that the stix lose value, as the longer you are in ketosis, the more efficient your body is at metabolizing ketones and what is expelled in urine is not always accurate (that's my mosh poshed view at least). Since I am a visual person, I like the color affirmations and would probably appreciate switching to the breathalyzer, but really not interested in the blood meter (though completely support those folks who use it for accuracy and complete data.).

I bought ketostix, used them exactly three times, haven't since. I trust to the fact that I hover around 10g total carbs and average about 60g protein daily to 100g fat to keep me in ketosis. That and my continuing weight loss, heh.

• DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have thought about this also. I use the stix now as I am just getting back to Keto. However, I am interested to hear if anyone who has bought ketonix has used it long term. Seems most who have used it pretty much dropped it once they were adapted.

What are some of the reasons why it would be beneficial for an already keto adapted person to continue its use?
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

<snip>

I bought ketostix, used them exactly three times, haven't since. I trust to the fact that I hover around 10g total carbs and average about 60g protein daily to 100g fat to keep me in ketosis. That and my continuing weight loss, heh.

All newbies, listen to this woman with the funny name! She is the Keto expert on this group. I am a "Nic-Wanna-Be". :D:)

Newbies, ask to be Nic's friend and look at her diary. It is outstanding! I eat in one meal more carbs than she eats in the whole day! (I am practicing maintenance ~ yeah, that's the ticket!)

Go Nic Go!

Dan the Man from Michigan

• VirtualMaddy
    VirtualMaddy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use mine every day still after 6 months but it's to the point I can predict the number of blinks before I see them. Still makes me feel good to see it. The only thing I've seen that throws it off is alcohol and maltitol, they shoot my reading up to red for a short time.
  • petr8888
    Options
    Thanks all of you for your thoughts. Very much appreciated.