Fitbit Charge HR

Options
12346»

Replies

• aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I just got my Charge HR on Thursday-after work I charged it up, put it on and did a simple 30 min HIIT workout, it gave me an insane amount of calories :( I doubted its accuracy but since wearing it all day friday at work and over night until this morning it seems to be more inline with my adjustments like my force- I do have a higher resting heart rate and my charge HR wants to tell me ive been in the fat burning zone for 8 hours- I had wondered if this is falsely giving me extra calories, cause even at rest I can have a HR of 93 or so. I called tech support for a website issue with my premium membership and also enquired about the calories awarded based on HR- they assured me it will not award me extra cals for being in a fat burning zone for 7 hours vs a resting zone for 8 hours- apparently the formula takes into account your HR and steps taken to determine calorie expenditure, so knowing at rest im in a fat burning zone, im not really moving, therefore no extra cals when i didnt really earn them!
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    As a runner I have been using HRM's for some years, both chest straps and recently a Mio Link wrist strap. I bought the Charge HR because of it's ability to monitor resting heart rate 24/7. I must say that like many other athletes I have found the Charge HR to be wholly inaccurate for monitoring heart rates when exercising. I now use my normal HRM with my Polar V800 watch and enter the metrics to MFP manually. The Charge HR, great though it is, will not replace your normal HRM. The same, I have been told by fellow runners, is true for the Surge. Being able to monitor resting heart rate still makes it a worthwhile buy.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just curious, the One would give total daily burn too, what do you think is going to be different?[/quote
    @haybales.... a more accurate reading that is not just steps....for instance when shovelling a driveway up here in Canada....or doing weight workouts with dumbbells and barbells...

That's true, and while the HRM formula for calculating calories is based on steady-state aerobic exercise, and lifting is neither aerobic or steady-state and will be an inflated calorie burn, it better than the nothing you get from standing their doing several of the lifts.

Shoveling probably reads well, but as comment above verifies, if not enough steps to warrant the higher HR, then the HR is not used to calculate calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just got my Charge HR on Thursday-after work I charged it up, put it on and did a simple 30 min HIIT workout, it gave me an insane amount of calories :( I doubted its accuracy but since wearing it all day friday at work and over night until this morning it seems to be more inline with my adjustments like my force- I do have a higher resting heart rate and my charge HR wants to tell me ive been in the fat burning zone for 8 hours- I had wondered if this is falsely giving me extra calories, cause even at rest I can have a HR of 93 or so. I called tech support for a website issue with my premium membership and also enquired about the calories awarded based on HR- they assured me it will not award me extra cals for being in a fat burning zone for 7 hours vs a resting zone for 8 hours- apparently the formula takes into account your HR and steps taken to determine calorie expenditure, so knowing at rest im in a fat burning zone, im not really moving, therefore no extra cals when i didnt really earn them!

Usually conditions or meds that cause higher resting HR also cause inflated exercise HR.
    Same as being dehydrated, lots of caffeine or other stimulates, ect.
    So during exercise it's going to be estimating a higher calorie burn because the HR is inflated over what it really needs to be.

So be super accurate on the eating side of the equation, if the weight loss does not follow the deficit you appear to be creating from your daily burn, you'll know why.
  • tochimoto
    tochimoto Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have they fixed the compatibility issue yet? Calories burned are not registered in MFP but steps are.