Diabetic Prevention

Options
Hey, guys. Im new! Im hoping for some great ideas and recipes for diabetics. I recently found out I am borderline-my numbers are just high enough to notice but not enough for meds and the whole routine. I would like to avoid that. Losing weight and starting an exercise routine will help. I am new at diabetes too, so not 100% sure of everything I need to watch. Would love to swap recipes with someone who has experience in this.

Replies

• ahokay89
    ahokay89 Posts: 353
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey, me too. I am considered "pre-diabetic" by my Doctor and have High Blood Pressure that I've been on Meds for several years now (even when I was at a reasonable weight) but I was referred to a Nutritionist, I haven't had the appointment yet. I've been staying away from sugar and TRYING to limit my sodium but it is so hard! Carbs are good to limit as well..which is another toughy for me as I looooove bread and pasta.

I'll be following this post though for more advice.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    @hazycook and @ahokay89 ... did your doc give you pamphlets about diabeties to read? Have you tried looking at the website from the American Diabetes Association? Actually, a lot of medical universities and medical centers have helpful information about what diabeties is, how it affects your body, and ways to stabalize your blood sugar.

A part of it will be lose weight if you have extra weight, and do some form of exercise every day for 30 minutes ... such as walking.

You can actually eat anything and everything as long as it fits into your meal and caloric intake plan. The suggestion is to have 3 meals plus a snack. Meals can have between 45-60 grams of carbohydrate and snacks 15-30 grams. The starchy carbs are the ones to limit ... like bread and pasta, rice and potatoes, sweets and liquor.

Measuring your blood glucose is important also, so if you don't have a glucose monitor it's work asking for a script from your doctor for and getting one. The testers themselves are relatively inexpensive and your might even be able to get one for free. It's the test strips that are horribly expensive ... so hopefully your insurance covers them. The recommended testing is first thing in the morning, before eating anything. and again before bedtime to see how your management worked throughout the day. Pre-diabeties and insulin resistance can often be 'reversed' through life-style changes, but once you cross that line it's a life-long disease that can be managed but not reversed ... So do what you can now to get it under control.

good luck
  • ahokay89
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nope. She did blood work on me and said I am pre diabetic. And that's all..lol

I walk/jog at least 3 miles a day but my problem is portion control and eating horrible, fried and salty food. I also love carbs...a little too much!
  • evolution328
    evolution328 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Diabetes is a very serious illness that you really don't want. The single most important thing you need to do is manage your carb intake. 45-60g per meal, 15-30 per snack. Avoid sugar, white bread and pasta.

Also if your blood pressure is high then sodium should be less than 2000mg per day. Heart disease is no joke either.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Just a thought ... did she tell you what your blood glucose was, and what your A1c was ... and was it elevated the last time you did blood work? Many doctors won't diagnose until they have done two tests and both are elevated. If you didn't get the numbers, then you should ask for a print out of your blood work.
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    My family is ripe with diabetes, so far I'm doing okay myself, but I've seen nearly 20 years of special diets and carefulness. Some big things my family avoids are alcohol & mixers (besides straight spirits), watermelon, and white potatoes (among what else was added). You should also note that there is a LOT of sugar hiding in many condiments (Ketchup for example) and baked goods. The best thing that has helped many of my relatives keep their diabetes in check - including decreasing medication and even being able to stop it- is watching portion sizes and losing weight.
  • ahokay89
    Options
    NK1112 wrote: »
    Just a thought ... did she tell you what your blood glucose was, and what your A1c was ... and was it elevated the last time you did blood work? Many doctors won't diagnose until they have done two tests and both are elevated. If you didn't get the numbers, then you should ask for a print out of your blood work.

Yes, I have all of the results.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I say that a low carb diet is the way to go and always balance your meals. So if you eat carbs, add a good amount of fat and protein with it to slow the sugar spike. If you are interested in low carb and more info, message me.
  • roozy495
    roozy495 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am not diabetic, but I've used some great recipes from this site I stumbled upon: http://www.everydaydiabeticrecipes.com/
    You can choose from "Low Cal," "Low Carb," "Low Fat," and "Vegetarian" recipes.
    Hope it helps you! Best of luck :)