first half marathon! !

Options
kayna1225
kayna1225 Posts: 53 Member
So my first half marathon is april 26...I usually run 3-5miles2-3x a week. There are so many training programs. ..some with more strength training than running. Have you tried any? Do you feel it worked? Thanks!

Replies

• mkozmik
    mkozmik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When my son trained for his first marathon, he focused more on endurance and running than weight training. Although both can be important.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    @kayna1225 I follow Hal Higdon's programs when I'm preparing for a half. Seems like you're in good shape to pick it up :smile: It incorporates cross training and stretching into the schedule as well.
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I want to say I followed my Nike app program for my half. It incorporates cross training in it and on my short runs (read: runs that could be completed in 45 min or less), I would do strength training on that day. I've found I get injured FAR LESS often when I lift than when I focus only on running.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Whoo! HM! I plan on making my first in October. My husband ran his first last October. He didn't follow a plan, just got out there and trained when he could. Kinda crazy, but he did it. I think with which ever plan you choose you, yourself will have a good feel for what's right for you. Runners world also has plans online too. And there are even apps for hm training. Good luck!
  • theglencoegirl
    theglencoegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i have done two halfs and 1 15km!! they are so fun!! i have a half planned for june 1st. i used http://bcsth.ca/sites/default/files/Suggested Training Program for Half Marathon.pdf
    i was very prepared!! i always took the shortest run of the week and added the kms to the other runs.
    i do yoga as well!!

good luck!!
  • denham218
    Options
    I have done 5 mini marathons and several 5ks and 10ks. I find it better for me if I weight lift 3 days and run 3 days a week. Two shorter runs on week days and a long run on one weekend day. I follow a plan to keep my training fresh so I can run a mini anytime. Once a month I will do 8 to 10 miles. My long runs are no less than 6. My short runs are no less than 3 to 4. I'm running my 6 th in April also which will be the Derby mini. I have done this race 3 times and had a better time every year. I would just find a three day running 12 week training plan and use it before the race. The less u run sometimes the better u run. Good luck and I hope this helped.
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want to do in your half how you are want to train. I am training for a half in March and my goal is to finish and run a fairly consistent pace throughout the race. I want to finish in 2:30 or less. I am focusing on adding miles and strength and not really being too concerned with speed drills or anything like that. I am doing a lot of the training runs on the actual course (which happens to go through my neighborhood making it easy to do). I do not follow any published plan, I took a look at them all and kind of made my own, taking advice on from them and making them fit how I like to workout. If you are interested in seeing the plan I set up, PM me an email address and I can send you the file. It consists of 3-4 days of running, yoga, and strength 2 days and 1 complete rest day.
  • CLEgirl
    CLEgirl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've used a Runners World training program ("intermediate runners"). There is a small cost for it, but I though it was worth it. However, I was not completely following it! But it made me stay focused. It is based on mixing running at targeted race pace for a about twice a week for a few miles (say 3 out of 5 miles), one long run, and one run where you go between comfortable slow and then run at a 10k or 5k speed for shorter times. I find weight training very useful; like strengthen your core and flexibility. 1/2 marathons are great! Requires endurance, but not as crazy as a full marathon! (Even though I admire people who can run the full).

If you have not done so already, sign up for some shorter races, just to get used to running in a race.

Good luck!
  • Solamer
    Solamer Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    YAY! I'm running a half (my 4th) on April 12th! I ran my first three by following a pretty simple plan that involved running about 4x a week and having one long run on the weekends, increasing my long run by about a mile each week until I reached 10 mi, tapered for a week and then ran my 13.1. There are a lot of free programs out there and if you're goal is simply to finish/run the whole thing as mine was, then they should work for you just fine.
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Awesome!

I'm running my first half on 4/4. I did not follow a training plan, but I did kind of mix what I saw with how I was training. My weeks looks like this:

Monday: Speed or hill workout for 35-40 minutes
    Tuesday: 40 minutes weight/strength training (I do full body)
    Wednesday: Medium easy run of 6-7 miles
    Thursday: 30 minutes weight/strength (some leg, but I go easier on it)
    Friday: 30-40 minute run easy
    Saturday: Long run
    Sunday: Rest

I started by increasing my long run about a mile each week (back in January). Had some off weekends, really snowy weekends, and days I just didn't feel it. I occasionally run an extra 2-3 miles on Thursdays if I feel up to it. I'm not that structured, and I enjoy running so I'll add easy days.