This is becoming real now!

Hildabean
Hildabean Posts: 71 Member
Went to hospital this morn and got pre op testing done. Also received my liquid drink for my last 5 days before the surgery. Does anyone else have to do a special hospital given drink for 5 days ahead? Also were you required to drink PowerAde Zero or G2 to drink right before the surgery? I have to drink 8hrs ahead and 3hrs ahead one of those drinks. Between the both they call it the Enhanced Recovery program. I thought it interesting.

10days left and my life is going to change forever. That is just a wow factor to me. This time last year I didn't even think of having the surgery. Then 3 doctors of mine suggested it due to health issues. Now I have only 10 days till surgery.

Thanks everyone for being such great support on here. God Bless

Replies

• MissMissie1987
    MissMissie1987 Posts: 72 Member
    Hmmm...have never heard of that regimen.

I am soo excited for you! Last yr at this time I wasn't thinking this at all, I was just getting health insurance and my A1C was 12.6!! Isn't it sooo surreal how much can change in one yr!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I was one of the rare lucky people that didn't have to do a pre-op diet at all. But, I do remember the anticipation and excitement. All I can say is, you have SO much to look forward to and it's going to be so much good! Surreal is a good word to describe it. I am a completely different person now in so many ways, the changes have all been positive, and I know having surgery was probably the best decision I have ever made! I am so happy for you!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    While the pre-op liquid diet (7 days for me), the surgery and the first couple of weeks post-op were difficult, that time seems like a long time ago (and I'm not even 4 months out!). For me, it is a blip in an otherwise remarkably smooth process toward the new me!

Good luck and I'll be sending good thoughts and prayers as you go through this!

Rob
  • JDJasperNana
    JDJasperNana Posts: 6 Member
    I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow. I'll let you know then. It's getting a little scary...7days left! :D
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    OP...that's kind of odd and different to have you drink those sports drinks before surgery!
    2 weeks before mine, I was not eating things like bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, fruits (because of the sugar) and of course nothing w/ added (processed) sugar.
    Then the day before it was only liquids...nothing w/ color (like tomato soup) and nothing creamy (like cream of mushroom).
    Good luck!!
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    It seems as many surgeons have changed the preop diets drastically in the last few years. I know someone who went to the same surgeon I did, 3 years ago, and had the same procedure. She had to do a much different, stricter, preop diet then I did. I was just told to try to lose weight leading up to the surgeory and only liquids the day before, but no restriction on color.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    edited January 2015
    I was on a liquid diet for ten days Pre-op; just follow your surgeons directions, they know what works for them. This is a very exciting time! I'm nearly three months out from my surgery and it's been a transformative experience. I've lost 75 pounds, and I feel great. Follow your post op instructions - and know you're not alone - lean on your surgeons staff, your support group and these boards if you have concerns. You'll feel better every day!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    My pre-op was 2 weeks of the program's non-surgical weight loss program food and 2 weeks of liquid. They wanted 20 pounds off before surgery to shrink the liver making the surgery easier. I was amazed at how easy it was and that I could really lose that 20! I know now it was because it was all so high protein. :D
  • kgrubiss
    kgrubiss Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2015
    My 14 day pre-op liquid diet consisted of 800 calories a day, which was made up of 5 - 11 oz. adkins shakes, sugar free jello and sugar free popsicles, and water. That was it. The first 4 days were the hardest, then I could barely drink the 5th shake. It was very boring but I'm so glad I was consistent and stuck with it because it prepared me for what was to come. A complete lifestyle change.
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    My pre-op diet was 2 bars and 3 protein drinks a day. Then a meal high in protein for dinner. --For 2weeks. Every surgeon seems to have a different plan
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    I was fortunate that I didn't have a pre-op diet. Where I went their philosophy was to have you eat regular food until the day before surgery. They think that helps with the weight loss afterwards. The 12 hrs before surgery was no food/liquid.
    Your life will change, and for the better is my guess. Mine certainly has. At just 2 mos out my health is so much better than it was prior to surgery. I am beyond thankful that this option was there for me. Early on some of the days will be a struggle and you may think "what was I thinking" but as many people here told me, hang on, it gets better each day. And they were right. Best wishes!!!